Main Menu

More craigslist wtf!

Started by Hemisaurus, January 13, 2012, 08:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianDamage

Plus most people (most not all) who play this style of music do drugs of some sort so that coupled with the "I am overly worried about how prospective band members look" vibe that your ad puts out is probably going to set you up for a very long and not so fruitful search for band members. I wish you good luck with your search though.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

everdrone

very true!  Thank you friend, I appreciate your insights :)

I think many musicians in Austin do illegal activity, last band did not do drugs and wanted to have a show for 700 people without any permits in front of their house; I learned their cover songs and they accepted me as a band member but after I learned that they were about to do this show when they told me after the first practice I had to exit.  Austin is somewhat lenient but I cannot be involved with illegal activity; maybe I should be even more general and just go with:

Bassist available

...and broaden my scope to include cover bands, tribute bands, other genres...

RacerX

You should mention the sleeveless vest.  ;)
Livin' The Life.

Danny G

I think it's good you're laying out exactly what you have to offer and exactly what you are looking for.

Finding players (especially in THIS town) that don't smoke weed will be a challenge. Finding ones who do but are respectful of your situation to not do it around you will not be the challenge you think it is. Most folks here are generally cool and understanding.

As per wordings of ads in general, less is always more.

Some ads by obvious hobby players can be like blog posts. No one gives a shit about your musical journey starting from age 5 except YOU.

If a player looking: name, rank, serial number, experience and musical proficiency.

Bands looking for members: vital stats of project, goals if any, paid gig or not, style, rehearsal/gig schedule. Keep it simple and no bullshit. If it's the musical equivalent of Tuesday night bowling with the guys, say that.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

everdrone

everdrone

Quote from: RacerX on April 11, 2014, 11:04:22 AM
You should mention the sleeveless vest.  ;)

lol I have spent a lot of time in humor/joking/fantasy land but fortunately this forum is helping me get my collective stuff together and be more presentable as a viable musician  ;D  still plan on buying the sleveless vest  :D :D :D

Danny G

There was a series of ads last year looking for a bassist for a Viking Metal Band.

The ad was rather tongue in cheek and full of Conan the Barbarian references among others.

It was so awesome and fun reading, had I not been so pressed for time I would have jammed with those dudes for the hell of it.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

liquidsmoke

In Texas if cops find weed on one person in a group do they charge everyone with possession?

RAGER

As a person in sales, you never lay all your cards on the table at first.  You have to give them a reason to contact you and then get a conversation started and then tell them your plight.  I don't think you're going to get many responses.
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

Thank you Rager :)

ya, I really need to:

1) rethink my goals
2) rethink my sales strategy
3) THEN, revise my craigslist draft

good thing I did not show them my cards yet, cheers :)

my goals are being in an original heavy rock band (blues rock based like Sabbath/Zeppelin).  I do not want to tour more than one week a year and maybe regional show on a weekend(s), so ya musical equivalent of bowling as these types/genres of local bands I watch get crowd turnouts of only like 10-40 people and not that many gigs.  I could be convinced to do other heavy rock styles, and maybe could do a sales pitch on others that have other interests...

also I have a goal to be in a cover band but I need to work up my stamina in my frethand for 3 hour sets and learning all those songs. So cover band stuff may be a good idea to do later on really but I might be able to hack it...

Metal and Beer

More details now saves hassle later in my experience. I don't want to find out you're against weed after I've lugged my shit across town ;)  I'm not even smoking these days--too draconian 'round here w/ the job-killing McTests--I'm just using this as an example. By being this specific you're in a better chance to land who you want. Being vague early on yet firm in your parameters isn't gonna increase candidates at all, it just takes longer to get there.

If I do answer a vague ad, I suggest hanging/meeting at a show or something first, to see what kind of folks they are. I'm not gonna go jam w/ someone if they don't even like Black Sabbath ! I mean, come on nau  :P
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

Talking details through email or over the phone before jamming seems like a good idea. I'm going to put no crazy people, Republicans, tweakers, junkies, etc. Don't care at all about weed and booze as long as it's under control.

When creating a Craigslist musician wanted post should one should choose 'gig offered' for type of posting and 'I want to hire someone'? I don't know what else to select and have never done this before.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 11, 2014, 02:58:25 PM
Talking details through email or over the phone before jamming seems like a good idea. I'm going to put no crazy people, Republicans, tweakers, junkies, etc. Don't care at all about weed and booze as long as it's under control.

When creating a Craigslist musician wanted post should one should choose 'gig offered' for type of posting and 'I want to hire someone'? I don't know what else to select and have never done this before.

You're in the wrong section, dude (unless you're actually paying a real salary or hourly rate). You want the "Musicians" line in the Community section (upper left).
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on April 11, 2014, 03:24:53 PM

You're in the wrong section, dude (unless you're actually paying a real salary or hourly rate). You want the "Musicians" line in the Community section (upper left).

I went to community and musicians but I didn't know I had to choose 'community' again. I think I'm good now. It looked like choosing 'gig offered' made the most sense.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 11, 2014, 03:36:59 PM
Quote from: RacerX on April 11, 2014, 03:24:53 PM

I went to community and musicians but I didn't know I had to choose 'community' again. I think I'm good now. It looked like choosing 'gig offered' made the most sense.

I hope so, but that description doesn't even make sense. You don't have to select "Community" twice—you just click on "post to classified" and select it once, and then pick "musicians." There are no choices between "gigs offered" or "I want to hire someone" involved at all.  ???
Livin' The Life.

Metal and Beer

What Rx said...just go to "Musicians", none o' that other mumbo jumbo. Once you get there, be entertained by all the incredible ads (if it's anything like Little Rock's)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

I get it now, we are talking about the same thing. I had clicked 'post' while looking at the other musician posts instead of that way, it's the same.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 11, 2014, 04:20:23 PM
I get it now, we are talking about the same thing. I had clicked 'post' while looking at the other musician posts instead of that way, it's the same.

I thought you were already in action, anyway. Are you trying to start a new project or filling a spot in the old one?
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

We are looking for a singer to take over vocal duties from me. I'm in over my head and want to focus just on guitar.

http://madison.craigslist.org/muc/4418483238.html

Let the comments and suggestions fly. I realize that our chances of finding the right type of singer in a city this small are pretty thin but I think it's worth a shot.

Lumpy

By the time you work a new singer into the lineup, you could have logged that additional practice time doing it yourself. Why would you want to turn the spotlight over to some random jackass? It might be hard now, but a year from now you'll be much further along, and less drama/less logistical issues.

By all means, try to find a singer, but if I was yous, I would double down on trying to become that person myself. Either by polishing up the requisite skills, or writing new material that fits your skill set better/modifying the current material, or both.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

It won't be a random jackass, it will be the right person or no one.

Double duty is damn hard and I get super nervous, sometimes I don't enjoy the gigs much at all. And the more nervous I get the more I fuck up which makes it all the worse.

Practicing a lot makes it easier but that gets to be too much. I just want to play guitar.

Lumpy

Your ad seems good.

/edit

Lumpy

redacted...

Danny G

@ Everdrone

You described a band that actually does shit.

The Tuesday Night Bowling thing I used to describe situations I've been misled into checking out.

They literally did not have aspirations to play shows, much less even have songs or know how to write them. It was horrific.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 11, 2014, 01:02:17 PM
In Texas if cops find weed on one person in a group do they charge everyone with possession?

they can and have unfortunately; constructive possession of a controlled substance

Dixon v. State, 918 S.W.2d 678, 681

Dixon v. State, 918 S.W.2d 678, 681 (Tex. App. - Beaumont 1996):

(1) contraband in plain view;
(2) accused was the owner of the car or house in which the contraband was found;
(3) accused was the driver of the automobile in which the contraband was found;
(4) contraband was conveniently accessible to the accused;
(5) contraband was found in close proximity to where the accused was sitting;
(6) strong odor of contraband was present;
(7) paraphernalia to use the contraband was in view of or found on the accused;
(8) physical condition of the accused indicated recent consumption of the contraband;
(9) conduct by the accused indicated a consciousness of guilt;
(10) accused had a special connection with the contraband;
(11) place where the contraband was found was enclosed;
(12) conflicting statements were given about the contraband;
(13) affirmative statements connect the accused to the contraband.

Some factors may be given greater weight than others.