Main Menu

Keurig

Started by BastardCthulhu, February 04, 2012, 08:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BastardCthulhu

My brother-in-law got my wife and I a Keurig coffee machine for xmas.  i dig the idea of single cup brewing, but after the initial attraction of different flavored coffee every day of the week, we've resorted to buying a filter and just brewing good ol' Maxwell House.  I haven't really found a coffee I like enough to lay down the dough for grossly overpriced K-cups.  Any users in here?  Favorite flavors?  Gimme some ideas/feedback.

RAGER

Maxwell House???  I move for this user to be banished henceforth from the food forum
No Focus Pocus

BastardCthulhu

I didn't say I was proud!!

RAGER

At least buy some sort of whole bean and a grinder for Juan Valdez' sake.
No Focus Pocus

BastardCthulhu

I was thinking that would be the way to go. 

RAGER

Don't think. Do.  It's 2012

But I'm from the PacNW.  So I'm a food, coffee, and beer snob.
No Focus Pocus

Demon Lung

i have a single cup coffee maker that will takes ground coffee. its the hamilton beach brand. works fantastically

mertz

Quote from: BastardCthulhu on February 04, 2012, 08:36:39 AM
My brother-in-law got my wife and I a Keurig coffee machine for xmas.  i dig the idea of single cup brewing, but after the initial attraction of different flavored coffee every day of the week, we've resorted to buying a filter and just brewing good ol' Maxwell House.  I haven't really found a coffee I like enough to lay down the dough for grossly overpriced K-cups.  Any users in here?  Favorite flavors?  Gimme some ideas/feedback.
I got one for Christmas...love it. The original donut shop coffee is awesome. Love it, and willing to spend the $$$ on it. I usually by my k cups at Bed Bath, & Beyond with the coupon that comes in the mail. Much more affordable that way.

Lumpy

I haven't had a good cup of coffee from one of those machines... I'm not convinced that it's possible. Only reasonable rationale I've heard for having one: "Because nobody at work was willing to wash the coffee maker".
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Demon Lung

Obviously you haven't had coffee from one of those machines because my coffee maker has yet to make a shitty cup I coffee

BastardCthulhu

I don't necessarily need any fancy schmancy flavors all the time...sometimes a good stiff cup o' joe is all I'm really after.  That said, I really liked the Caribou k-cups..

James1214

no need for a fancy schmancy many hundreds of dollar machine for making coffee

pour over is the best way to make coffee IMO, and a good pour over cone is like 20-30 bucks, and with it you can replicate good coffee anywhere.

i got mine thru http://www.sweetmarias.com/ and would recommend them to any would-be coffee geek.
words

RAGER

when I go to this roster shop by my house i get pour over.  i should buy my own ceramic cone.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

When my French Press eventually breaks (thin glass that I hand wash every day... come on...) I'll get a pour-over cone. They are so easy.

James1214

key things in making good, consistent pour over are

even grind (can only get a proper, very consistent grind in a burr grinder, you shouldnt use anything else)

consistent amount of coffee to water ratio, i do 2.3 grams of coffee per oz of water. if you don't have a kitchen scale get one, it'll improve your baking as well.

a water temperature of around 202 degrees

those are the "important bits" of info i have, im no coffee master but i make a good cup that i like, and it is consistent. itll take some trial and error, learning how to pour the water at the correct rate, developing techniques that will make your cup o joe great.

again i cant stress how helpful and informative sweet marias is, check em out
words

mortlock

the blueberry is insanely good..

mertz

I've heard that but I can't find it anywhere! Where did you buy it?

mortlock

they have it in the R&D lab where i work..best coffee in the plant.

rayinreverse

I like it (Keurigs) because I dont have to brew an entire pot only to have one cup and then leave for the day.

My wife doesnt drink coffee at all either so the pots were always all mine. I like being able to spread the coffee drinking out over the morning/day but still get a nice fresh cup every time.

The teas are pretty good too.

grimniggzy

we have one of these at work. shit sucks.

Lumpy

BastardCthulhu

I had a big variety pack of Donut Shop coffees, and yeah, that one is pretty good.  The actual flavored ones, however, were pretty goddamn disappointing.  I looked for that blueberry on Amazon, and yup, they has it.  Might check it out...oot.  Sorry.