Glenn Hughes - The Autobiography

Started by Woody, February 09, 2012, 11:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat shepard

"Read Cheetah Chrome's autobiography if you want to hear how gross it is to be a low budget drug addict."

:D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

that was funny!

GodShifter

I consider myself a fairly big Glenn Hughes fan. I own, I think, maybe 10 to 12 of his solo records + the Hughes Turner Project things and the Hughes-Thrall project with former Pat Travers guitarist, Pat Thrall. The dude has always had a great voice and, somewhat surprisingly, is a fairly talented bass player. I think his bass playing talent gets lost due to the fact that he's probably considered a singer first and foremost. I often wonder if he was included in the MKIII line-up to cover a lot of Gillan's really high register stuff because Hughes can do that. Coverdale was simply not in that register. So, my thinking is: Hughes to cover the bass slot plus the soaring high stuff and Coverdale for the frontman/sex appeal deal (I guess?).

Anyway, as far as the "loving chocolate bars more than his bass", I remember reading an interview with Moore when the album Run For Cover came out (1985). Moore was pretty critical of Hughes because Hughes had pulled out of the project and wasn't going to tour. I definitely remember Moore slagging off Hughes as a "fat ass who didn't want to know" or something similar to that. Basically Moore's assertion was that the album and tour could have been pretty successful except for Hughes fucking things up. Moore was pretty bitter in the interview.

Woody

Quote from: cat shepard on February 09, 2012, 12:52:05 PM
"Read Cheetah Chrome's autobiography if you want to hear how gross it is to be a low budget drug addict."

:D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

that was funny!

Ha! Glad you liked it. The Cheetah Chrome book is excellent.

RAGER

I consider myself a fairly big Glenn Hughes fan. I own, I think, maybe 10 to 12 of his solo records + the Hughes Turner Project things and the Hughes-Thrall project with former Pat Travers guitarist, Pat Thrall. The dude has always had a great voice and, somewhat surprisingly, is a fairly talented bass player. I think his bass playing talent gets lost due to the fact that he's probably considered a singer first and foremost. I often wonder if he was included in the MKIII line-up to cover a lot of Gillan's really high register stuff because Hughes can do that. Coverdale was simply not in that register. So, my thinking is: Hughes to cover the bass slot plus the soaring high stuff and Coverdale for the frontman/sex appeal deal (I guess?).

interesting theory.
No Focus Pocus

Woody

I always thought they had Hughes as insurance in case Coverdale couldn't sing one night. I always wanted to hear Mk.III do "Child In Time" with Hughes doing all the shrieking.

vinyldinosaurus

It'll never happen but I would love to see a DP MK III reunion tour.

RAGER

^^ Yeah Ritchie is apparently done playing heavy stuff.
No Focus Pocus