Main Menu

iommi pickups.....

Started by kirky, February 11, 2012, 10:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

anybody have one of these? i've had one in a epi les paul for years....i never really bonded with it....am i missing something or are these kinda meh? maybe i should wire the split coil option?

Instant Dan

I never liked them, at least if you are going for the Iommi sound. Better off with Mean 90's or P94's IMO.

Fuhgawz

I have some in an SG. In fact, they really shine there. Fat mids, smooth treble and tight low end. More output than most standard humbuckers, but not quite "metal"-output. So if you are expecting a metal type pickup they might disappoint. I can also see them not really working in a LP though. Mids might be too fat and treble to smooth. But they really work well for fattening up the bridge position of an SG.

If you want early Black Sabbath Iommi sound, P90 type pickups work better, since he used those back then. I believe the Gibson Iommi's didn't come out since the '90s and he had a different sound in those days. But like I said, if you want to fatten up the bridge position of your SG or other brighter sounding guitar you should consider these. If you want the exact early Sabbath sound, or have a LP, which is quite smooth and fat sounding to begin with, these might not work so well.

mutantcolors

The first Sabbath rekkids are what convinced me I would be happy if I bought a set of 90s. Now I won't shut up about them.

kirky

so i've decided that i want a set of mean 90's for my epi l.p.......if anybody wants to buy this iommi p.u. give me a shout....or trade for mean 90's

mutantcolors

I will never ever ever trade away my Mean 90s, but I will applaud your decision to buy a pair for yourself.

Welcome to Tonetown.

clockwork green

I'm just so skeptical of a $35 pickup really sounding that great but stranger things have happened.  I'll have to figure out which guitar I can play around with pickup wise and try them out one day.  It's not like there are a really expensive parts in there making up a pickup.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Jake

Them being so cheap is precisely why I bought a Mean 90 for one of my fiddles. It's such a low-level commitment. And that's coming from someone who hates paying $80 for a pedal.
poop.

mutantcolors

Quote from: clockwork green on May 17, 2012, 01:19:47 PM
It's not like there are a really expensive parts in there making up a pickup.

Yeah that. Some copper wire? They explain right on the site why their shit is so cheap, because there are no retailers. The build 'em and sell 'em at the site, that's it.

kirky

thinking about just getting a mean 90 for the neck and wiring the iommi split coil...how hard is it to wire split coil....i know this pickup has 4 conductor wires....

Hemisaurus

It's already split then, you'l need to either get a push/pull pot, or drill a hole for the switch.

http://www.smitspickups.com/coiltapping.htm

http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm

mutantcolors

LOL. Just commit man. You already said you don't like the Iommi much. And how much do you actually play on the neck?