Main Menu

What's your fantasy amp?

Started by Corey Y, February 13, 2012, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupKitchen

A head with good-sounding spring reverb that isn't taller than it is deep.  Maybe something with a 6G6 Bassman front-end, but the cathode follower would feed a Bax stack.  AC-coupled long-tailed pair and four EL34s running ultralinear with cathode bias, say 65 watts...and Fender three-tube harmonic vibrato...and pentode-driven reverb a la Fender 6G15...in a sidechain (parallel to the preamp).

Nick, when you say "tweed phase inverter", I assume you're talking cathodyne? Since the majority of tweed Fender amps had those and the LTP came in at the very end...

dunwichamps

yea the Tweeds had ac coupled cathodyne phase inverters, where the LTPs came in on those bassmans later on I believe.

"Fender three-tube harmonic vibrato...and pentode-driven reverb a la Fender 6G15"

that what I had in mind for Disco's request, the harmonic vibrato can also be done with 2 tubes as well.

also driving a bax with a CF does not help the circuit much, the losses arent improved which kinda sucks

bitter

I've always wanted another head for dedicated cleans and stompboxes, but I cant justify it these days as I'm not actively jamming.

The old Hiwatts still call me more than anything else. Great cleans and can still get some growl when needed.

It doesn't want to imbed, but this is probably my favorite gear demo of all time. Although, I would generally prefer the 103 model for added headroom.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tubetoneRU#p/search/0/RJFtW2PlT4o

(Subtitles are available)
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

dunwichamps

yea lots of love for those old DR model hiwatts, military grade construction. that kind of build quality always a good inspiration for me.

Corey Y

I had a DR504 for a few years, it was a great amp. It took pedals fantastically, although the tone was so good I just used the amp by itself most of the time. It sounded very similar to my JCM800, which was why I got rid of it. Although I got rid of the 800 as well, not long after. I still have my VTM though, which gets in the ballpark of the tone I liked from both, with a lot more effort for a lot less money. It is balls for pedals though, does not like them one bit.

I am very on board with the idea of a pedal platform amp. Just no frills, clean power, passive tone shaping. My Sound City B120 was that amp for me on guitar for a long while, but it's pretty bright sounding and the active EQ makes it really touchy dialing things in. It was good if I had one dirt pedal (or a combination of a couple) for a locked in, always on sound, after spending the time to perfect the settings. It's my bass backup ATM, even though it's still a bit too bright for that as well. I can't bring myself to get rid of it though.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on February 13, 2012, 05:23:02 PM
I had a DR504 for a few years, it was a great amp. It took pedals fantastically, although the tone was so good I just used the amp by itself most of the time. It sounded very similar to my JCM800, which was why I got rid of it. Although I got rid of the 800 as well, not long after. I still have my VTM though, which gets in the ballpark of the tone I liked from both, with a lot more effort for a lot less money. It is balls for pedals though, does not like them one bit.

I am very on board with the idea of a pedal platform amp. Just no frills, clean power, passive tone shaping. My Sound City B120 was that amp for me on guitar for a long while, but it's pretty bright sounding and the active EQ makes it really touchy dialing things in. It was good if I had one dirt pedal (or a combination of a couple) for a locked in, always on sound, after spending the time to perfect the settings. It's my bass backup ATM, even though it's still a bit too bright for that as well. I can't bring myself to get rid of it though.

easy to make it not so bright really. Probably change a coupling cap

Corey Y

Is it something I could do without potentially killing myself? That's a question I need to ask whenever anything related to amp modifications comes up.

To be fair it's a goal I keep in mind with pretty much anything, really.

dunwichamps

You gotta make sure the amp is all drained of voltage, which you can do but need to be careful about. Then you would solder and remove 1nF coupling cap on the brilliant channel and replace it with a 400-630V rated coupling cap of higher value, the normal channel uses a 22nF so if you wanna remain under that value but more bass use 6.8nF to 10nF or you could go balls out and use something up to 68nF if you want but that could get woofy/blocking

Mr. Foxen

Should probably bear in mind that all controls nooned is pretty rarely flat on a valve amp. Clean boost into reverb return will do it though.

Swapping out components in an SC120 is easy, solder sucker and reasonable iron an its pretty much a joy. Turrets are lovely.

Corey Y

I'll keep that in mind Nick, thanks for the suggestion.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on February 13, 2012, 05:54:12 PM
I'll keep that in mind Nick, thanks for the suggestion.

it going to beef up the low end in the brilliant channel, it will not be as bright, you can always shunt some treble to ground if you want

Corey Y

If I do mess with it, it probably won't be for a while. I hardly ever play it and I've got a big project taking up most of my free time right now. If I do get around to having the time (and guts) to do I will probably pick your brain about it again.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on February 13, 2012, 05:59:51 PM
If I do mess with it, it probably won't be for a while. I hardly ever play it and I've got a big project taking up most of my free time right now. If I do get around to having the time (and guts) to do I will probably pick your brain about it again.

as always I am here. I actually have to rework and convert the SC120R I picked up to SC120R spec. Probably will redo some of the boards, ground scheme, add shielded cable in there.

Jake

I want an amp with a half power switch that gives BJs and does the dishes.
poop.

Mr. Foxen

Force choking anyone that plugs into it without asking would be a nice option. Changing amps every practice/gig is one of my favourite things to a single ultimate amp wouldn't really work.

Corey Y

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 13, 2012, 06:41:43 PM
Force choking anyone that plugs into it without asking would be a nice option.

I could work up some sort of spring loaded blade apparatus or a pepper spray delivery system with a key operated safety. Maybe go old school with a trapdoor/tiger pit set up, if you don't mind bringing your own stage...and a stack of waivers.

Baltar

Quote from: Jake on February 13, 2012, 06:37:15 PM
I want an amp with a half power switch that gives BJs and does the dishes.

Jake, you sir, are a genius.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Corey Y on February 13, 2012, 06:51:44 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 13, 2012, 06:41:43 PM
Force choking anyone that plugs into it without asking would be a nice option.

I could work up some sort of spring loaded blade apparatus or a pepper spray delivery system with a key operated safety. Maybe go old school with a trapdoor/tiger pit set up, if you don't mind bringing your own stage...and a stack of waivers.

The Force aprt breaks chain of causation and makes all that much simpler.

inductorguitars

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 13, 2012, 05:01:39 PM
yea lots of love for those old DR model hiwatts, military grade construction. that kind of build quality always a good inspiration for me.

So I was checking out the schematics for the DR504.
What is the second half of V4 doing?

dunwichamps

low impedance DC bias point for the LPTI to operate.

VOLVO)))

Can I get a plexi-etched set of jugs on my amp, Nick?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 13, 2012, 09:10:22 PM
Can I get a plexi-etched set of jugs on my amp, Nick?

yes, how big do you want the areolas? Or would you rather have 2% milk on there?

VOLVO)))

Oh, Man. Let me pay off my credit card, Nick. No shit. Have you started the hundred watters, yet? Simple as possible is what I want, which I guess... means the base model. haha.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 13, 2012, 09:15:48 PM
Oh, Man. Let me pay off my credit card, Nick. No shit. Have you started the hundred watters, yet? Simple as possible is what I want, which I guess... means the base model. haha.

I already built 50-120W, onto 200W soon

Build order is loonnnnggg tho.