Main Menu

What's your fantasy amp?

Started by Corey Y, February 13, 2012, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

It'll be a proper minute, I'm still shit-poor from my Model T/Guild/handguns/ammo. I finally broke, after having the card for two years with zero balance on it, and bought everything I wanted at once. It's back down from two grand, at about 1200 bucks... Chovie D is disappoint with me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 13, 2012, 09:19:24 PM
It'll be a proper minute, I'm still shit-poor from my Model T/Guild/handguns/ammo. I finally broke, after having the card for two years with zero balance on it, and bought everything I wanted at once. It's back down from two grand, at about 1200 bucks... Chovie D is disappoint with me.

okay well u let me know what u want

VOLVO)))

Currently, a hug, later on this month, some tubes. Then another hug.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 13, 2012, 09:21:20 PM
Currently, a hug, later on this month, some tubes. Then another hug.

sure i can get u that buy one tubes.

hugs, well sure for u i can

mutantcolors

Probs a 50watt JCM800, but I'd like to try one of those Electric Power Units. One less thing to fuck around with.

dunwichamps

2204 is a nice circuit, I dont know the exact power unit schematic but I do know the MV-120 schematic

inductorguitars

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 13, 2012, 09:04:21 PM
low impedance DC bias point for the LPTI to operate.

Wow never knew about the controversy on this little tube.

edit: The schematic on Hiwatt's site shows signal.
Mystery mojo indeed.

dunwichamps

Quote from: inductorguitars on February 14, 2012, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on February 13, 2012, 09:04:21 PM
low impedance DC bias point for the LPTI to operate.

Wow never knew about the controversy on this little tube.

edit: The schematic on Hiwatt's site shows signal.
Mystery mojo indeed.

there are like half a dozen different DR models with different setups on the phase inverter, how it is biased, how the follower works to bias the stage, ect ect. All of them are quite elaborate compared to the usual AC coupled Marshall/Fender LTPI and even more elaborate than my own DC coupled long tail pairs

bloodofkings

200W, 6550 power section, gain, master, bass middle treble for the eq. Maybe a mid shift switch or a filter control of sorts. Ability to slave to a power amp. Not a back breaker or a bank breaker.
I can't crap for shit.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bloodofkings on February 14, 2012, 02:31:26 PM
200W, 6550 power section, gain, master, bass middle treble for the eq. Maybe a mid shift switch or a filter control of sorts. Ability to slave to a power amp. Not a back breaker or a bank breaker.

sounds like a 200W Ampeg V series amp

bloodofkings

Voiced a little more for bass but yeah.

Edit*

Seems hard now days to find a bass amp with no horseshit. No graphic eq limiters no weird crunch feature that sounds like turds. Only thing close is an Orange AD200B but $2,400 makes it cost prohibitive. 
I can't crap for shit.

justinhedrick

orange or120 style pre amp with an FAC that is switchabe to be before the gain stage, or after. a singe tone knob in the EQ section that can be defeated, and a pre and master volume. i think it would be simple and effective.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bloodofkings on February 14, 2012, 02:47:13 PM
Voiced a little more for bass but yeah.

Edit*

Seems hard now days to find a bass amp with no horseshit. No graphic eq limiters no weird crunch feature that sounds like turds. Only thing close is an Orange AD200B but $2,400 makes it cost prohibitive. 

4 x 6550 or Kt88s running 200W would be like a 2-2.2k kinda thing for me

dunwichamps

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 14, 2012, 03:02:39 PM
orange or120 style pre amp with an FAC that is switchabe to be before the gain stage, or after. a singe tone knob in the EQ section that can be defeated, and a pre and master volume. i think it would be simple and effective.

post 1st stage to post 2nd stage FAC or pre 1st stage post first stage FAC?

Single knob Bax with defeat, gain and master?

bloodofkings

Well from you and seeing the quality in what you build that price doesn't bother me all that much. There's a blood sweat and tears factor in what you're building as opposed to what Orange is outsourcing and charging even more for now. I'd be more inclined to fork $2,000 to you before I'd drop that cash on an Orange.
I can't crap for shit.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bloodofkings on February 14, 2012, 03:09:15 PM
Well from you and seeing the quality in what you build that price doesn't bother me all that much. There's a blood sweat and tears factor in what you're building as opposed to what Orange is outsourcing and charging even more for now. I'd be more inclined to fork $2,000 to you before I'd drop that cash on an Orange.

thanks

plus u get all the custom tweaks you want i guess thats also alluring

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 14, 2012, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on February 14, 2012, 03:02:39 PM

post 1st stage to post 2nd stage FAC or pre 1st stage post first stage FAC?

Single knob Bax with defeat, gain and master?

wow, if it could be switchable between the 3 that would be cool! and i don't know if it would be a single bax eq, i'm not sure how that would work? i was thinking more of a tone knob like on the older low wattage amps.

can it be done?

dunwichamps

Well it all depends on where you stick the EQ
Matamp style or Orange style

the GT120s run the bax after the 2nd stage while OR120s are after first stage. Putting the FAC b4 the EQ is redundant because the EQ can control bass if u want. So in an Orange they put the FAC on post stage 2 and in Matamp its post 1st stage because the bax is after stage 2

IMO, I would do pre and post stage 1, with a Matamp style location of the EQ.

One knob Bax is easy, you do a dual 1M log pot. then when you turn it right of 12 oclock, bass and treble go up and left of right is bass and treble down. Then add in a phase switch so you can get the other option, turn up and bass goes up and treble goes down and turn down and bass goes down and treble goes up. All on one knob, with a single switch

You could run Gain, Pre and Post Phase Master Volumes

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 14, 2012, 03:50:37 PM
Well it all depends on where you stick the EQ
Matamp style or Orange style

the GT120s run the bax after the 2nd stage while OR120s are after first stage. Putting the FAC b4 the EQ is redundant because the EQ can control bass if u want. So in an Orange they put the FAC on post stage 2 and in Matamp its post 1st stage because the bax is after stage 2

IMO, I would do pre and post stage 1, with a Matamp style location of the EQ.

One knob Bax is easy, you do a dual 1M log pot. then when you turn it right of 12 oclock, bass and treble go up and left of right is bass and treble down. Then add in a phase switch so you can get the other option, turn up and bass goes up and treble goes down and turn down and bass goes down and treble goes up. All on one knob, with a single switch

You could run Gain, Pre and Post Phase Master Volumes

nick, that is my dream amp.

dunwichamps

thats like an extremely condensed Or/Mat 120, 3 controls, 1 switch.

Probably would be in the 1400-1600 range given the output power

Mr. Foxen

Can I rip that idea for the pre of this 2 KT88 thing I have to sort a pre for?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 14, 2012, 04:22:50 PM
Can I rip that idea for the pre of this 2 KT88 thing I have to sort a pre for?

yea no problem if u need a detailed idea of it just email me

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 14, 2012, 04:17:25 PM
thats like an extremely condensed Or/Mat 120, 3 controls, 1 switch.

Probably would be in the 1400-1600 range given the output power

cool! i count 4 knobs though. how exactly woud the EQ knob work? i had a dream about this weeks ago, but then talked myself into thinking that it couldn't work!

dunwichamps

oh oops

well

Gain, FAC, EQ, Master, which could be pre and post master but then its 5 if u do both pre and post

the EQ knob looks just like an single knob EQ the magic is on the inside where u get two synchronized but independent 1M pots  

this is a picture of it

justinhedrick

awesome.

so could you just use the same cap values for the the eq in a standard bax circuit?