Main Menu

Handheld recorders

Started by Naxzul, March 05, 2012, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naxzul

Quite a few on the market these days (Zoom, Alesis, Tascam, Sony, etc), I'm looking for one to record sessions at the jam room with and probably live shows as well. I've heard good things about the Tascam DR 05 but if anyone has any other suggestions let's heard them. Probably don't want to spend more than $150. Thanks!
http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry

Lumpy

There's a new Zoom model, so the entry level one is probably dropping in price (H2). I have one. They are made of cheap plastic and feel flimsy in your hand, but the mics are pretty good. I got mine on Ebay, came in a package deal with a mic stand mount, a table top mount, a 2 gig (or is it 4 gig) memory card upgrade, AC adapter. It was about 150 a few years ago. I love mine, it has held up to regular transport back & forth, etc.

TL;DR - look on Ebay.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on March 05, 2012, 10:33:49 PM
There's a new Zoom model, so the entry level one is probably dropping in price (H2). I have one. They are made of cheap plastic and feel flimsy in your hand, but the mics are pretty good. I got mine on Ebay, came in a package deal with a mic stand mount, a table top mount, a 2 gig (or is it 4 gig) memory card upgrade, AC adapter. It was about 150 a few years ago. I love mine, it has held up to regular transport back & forth, etc.

TL;DR - look on Ebay.

Another vote for the Zoom H2. I was really surprised at how well the thing records. I've recorded both live and practices with it and the thing does a great job. It's easy as hell to operate as well

liquidsmoke

I have a Tascam DR-03. It's great BUT at practice volume levels it clips, even if you turn the input level all the way down  >:( >:( >:( >:(

ANNOYING.

If you hook a mic up to it yer good though.

I'm going to try using it with a direct line in to record rare hard to find tracks from Youtube(classy I know) through my computer's headphone jack and probably audio from a DVD from my stereo's headphone jack as well.

Pure Rock Casey

I have a roland R-05. Very happy with it for general rehearsal recordings etc...

El Zombre

I bought a Sony handheld recorder for my music teacher. A bit expensive @ $300 but it's got a great clipping detection variable gain dealie that instantly adjusts your recording levels to deal with everything but microphone element clipping.

Also @liquidsmoke - any reason why you're not using a firefox add on to rip mp3's from youtube video?

liquidsmoke

Quote from: El Zombre on March 06, 2012, 09:28:56 PM
Also @liquidsmoke - any reason why you're not using a firefox add on to rip mp3's from youtube video?

The reason is because I'm very out of it regarding technology and pretty bad at using my computer. How do I get this add on? I have never heard of this.

Just wondering, isn't Youtube said to be even worse sound quality than early mp3s?

I need to get into searching for blogs where I can download out of print albums, I just never do it.

Pundan

Back on topic, our band have used a TASCAM DR-03 just to record jam sessions and so forth. We haven't used it with an external microphone yet and the recordings have been pretty decent quality wise. The DR-03 does not seem to like the air coming from a 400W tube bass amp though... It's pretty cheap and does the job, and I guess it's better with an external mic.

RAGER

I have a Zoom H4.  it works beautifully.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 07, 2012, 01:08:05 AM
Quote from: El Zombre on March 06, 2012, 09:28:56 PM

The reason is because I'm very out of it regarding technology and pretty bad at using my computer. How do I get this add on? I have never heard of this.

Just wondering, isn't Youtube said to be even worse sound quality than early mp3s?

I need to get into searching for blogs where I can download out of print albums, I just never do it.

low tech=get audacity and just hit record while you play youtubes.
set little record thing to "what you hear" which, i believe, is the default setting, then you can export as mp3 or wave.
if you hear it on your pc, audacity can record it. total no brainer
my simple recording solution for ANYTHING on my PC. no add ons, no install, tres easy

PLUS, it has simple edit functions like gain boost if you recorded too low and other stuff like fades for further editing before you export for storage or w/e

liquidsmoke

Thanks guys! I'll fuck with this when I get some time.

chlorpromazine

I picked a used Zoom H2 up on craigslist a few weeks ago for $90. The built in mics work like a charm, the surround functions sound really good. You can select two channel stereo surround, four channel surround, or the front or rear mics independently. If you install the ASIO drivers and connect it via USB, you can use it as a recording interface for REAPER (or whatever DAW software you choose). I've been recording all my bands' practices direct to 320kbps mp3, and sending them around to the bros via mediafire or email the night after we jam. It has worked out well for getting new ideas and remembering how we were playing riffs and arranging tunes at practice. I'm impressed.

edit: the main tip I can give for loud stuff is set the mic sensitivity to low, and adjust recording levels on the device from there.

nonoman

We use the Zoom H1, and I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of recordings.
No good deed goes unpunished.

hayseed

i picked up a Zoom H4n yesterday. Read the manual this morning  and am now praying that it is as easy to use and sounds as good as the H2 i had a few years back. I am using it mainly for writing purposes and jams.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Iron Mtn

Zoom H2 as the others have said....

jibberish

grim got that tascam.  maybe he will chime in now that he has had it for a bit. that thing looks sick after i spent some time really checking out its features. i kind of want one now too.   

RAGER

Quote from: hayseed on March 24, 2012, 04:48:39 PM
i picked up a Zoom H4n yesterday. Read the manual this morning  and am now praying that it is as easy to use and sounds as good as the H2 i had a few years back. I am using it mainly for writing purposes and jams.

My next one will be the H4n
No Focus Pocus