Main Menu

Delay reccomendations?

Started by Instant Dan, March 06, 2012, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

The Strymon Timeline is amazing but probably not exactly what you need...I haven't figured out self-oscillation yet. For those looking to create sounds that just go beyond what guitarists typically have available to them then it's a whole new instrument.

For really great, natural sounding echo with some personality, the Malekko 616 is great and budget friendly and will self-oscillate. The pigtronix echolution is designed by Howard Davis like the memory man but has some cool new tricks. Many of the pedals mentioned are quite good. It's good to know that you can still find high quality delay pedals without bucket brigade chips.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

ryansummit

anyone use the danelectro reel tape echo
seems like alot of features but noones mentioned it yet

spookstrickland

Quote from: Chovie D on March 07, 2012, 07:06:52 PM
if you ever see one of these old guys pick it up. they tend to be really cheap like $20.

I hvae a real space echo and  the line6 dl4 does a good job of imitating it, plus has a looper and reverse delay.

I also have an old boss dm2, a carbon copy, a byoc and a few others I forget....

I've got one of those.  Pretty good sound but it never turns off, you can still hear a very faint echo when it's off. I stuck it in my looper though so no worries.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

dogfood

About to pull the trigger on a delay.  I'm sure y'all have some updated opinions on the delay subject, bust'm out.  I had my DL4 stolen and will not be buying another DL4.  I'm more looking at a pedal that does one thing well vs. a pedal that does many things (the DL4 doesn't blow by any means its just not my style).  Don't be shy, speak up.
Problem solving whiskey!

fallen

Carbon Copy or the EQD Disaster Transport.

Either one of those. Delays like these with darker repeats are more subtle but they always sit down under the dry guitar signal properly.

Unless you want to do some rhythmic type stuff then get a more crisp sounding delay with a tap tempo button.

lordfinesse

Still loving my Analogman ARD-X20. Got the Amaze0 to go with it and haven't looked back. Occasionally I miss the old memory man, but not often enough to go back.
Billy Squier 24/7

Beta Cloud

Quote from: fallen on December 15, 2013, 10:54:52 PM
Carbon Copy or the EQD Disaster Transport.

Either one of those. Delays like these with darker repeats are more subtle but they always sit down under the dry guitar signal properly.

Unless you want to do some rhythmic type stuff then get a more crisp sounding delay with a tap tempo button.

seconded on the Carbon Copy. i've had memory man, malekko, ibanez and others, the CC is consistent, quiet, and really nice sounding repeats that aren't too clean or gritty for me. great price too. also great sounding w/synths.
why does it hurt when i pee?

eyeprod

I jut ordered one of the new ibanez echo shifters. $150 and they look and sound pretty awesome, from what I've seen on youtube. great price and the knobs look well laid out. also has tap tempo.
CV - Slender Fungus

dogfood

I've been "eyeballing" that very same Ibanez

Ibanez es 150
Wampler faux tape 210
Empress tape delay 250
El Capistan 300

Money, ain't she a bitch.  And, AND, do you really want to endlessly fiddle with endless knobs, endlessly?!?!  Jesus, some those people make shit fucking complicated. 
Problem solving whiskey!

showdown

The Riffer

I really dig the  Hardwire Delay. Does everything well,sounds  great with distortion, and simple to use.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

RAGER

I like that Ibanez echo shifter but I like my carbon copy too, and my Malekko 616.  I also use a dd-3.

Like Betacloud my Carbon copy is currently hooked up through my Minibrute monosynth.
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

Cool. I've got that echo shifter going after my minibrute. I really like the sound of the two together. Nice and dark, warm analog tone.  The ibanez is touchy tho, and it sorta freaked out with a distortion between it and the synth. I noticed there are 5 little trim pots inside. I wonder what they do.
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

my perspective was ruined right out of the chute when my son came back from NAMM with a diamond memory lane 2. it is all about the 2 expression pedals and spaceship mode haha...ijs plus it is so rich and clean. but it aint cheap baby. unbelievable pedal.

these other delays fall short as far as I have compared on video demos, absolutely nothing is worthy of replacing that.  that being said. I would get those malekkos for what I would want to do if I was just starting out based on the videos I have watched.

but...I don't have to.  neener neener

RAGER

Prolly won't spend $500+ on a delay pedal.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I wouldn't either, and my son got it at the end of the show for like half price.
I was saying I like the malekkos if I didn't have access to the memory lane.

someone else here got one as a xmas present like a year or two ago, and I went nuts checking out delay videos.  

edit: the comment about the darker repeats on analog is very true. the digital ones just keep sending a copy of the first snapshot or wtf you call it over and over, whereas the analog imperfectness decays the tone over time.  the digital ones are different enough it's almost justifyable to say you could run both a digital and an analog delay for total different uses.

also no digital anything gets that smooth creamy mess in oscillation going. digital is nasty and harsh

RacerX

It really depends upon what one wants out a delay pedal, doesn't it?
Livin' The Life.

eyeprod

if we didn't have all of these bazillion pedals in the world to drool over and compare video demos, I imagine that most people would be happy enough with whatever they have or could buy locally. It gets to be a bit much in my opinion. We nitpick because we can, but that's not very musical.

Gotta say, this ibanez is one sexy looking pedal. It's no DMM, but it sure ain't no POS. That diamond pedal sounds alright, but looks like a turd. I bet that guy playing u2 licks thinks its the shit. My friend's girlfriend scored him an odd delay pedal at a thrift store for $3 recently. Now that's a delay pedal.
CV - Slender Fungus

JemDooM

I'm on the look out to try a Carbon Copy and Memory Man next, I finally found the perfect settings for my DD3 though I didn't think I would, I have this feeling I need two delays working together...
DooM!

Mr Neutron

im currently rather fond of the catalinbread belle epoch

"Where words fail, music speaks."

grimniggzy

Buy the one Jake sold to meee
It's like this with no battery door

VOLVO)))

THAT'S WHERE THAT WENT.

Fuck that was Wonderful sounding delay.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

Someone here craigslisted a Malekko 616.  I just emailed him.  I'm not particularly interested in an analog delay but I want to try it out.  Why the hell not buy it?  I may decide I love it.  I'm set on the Strymon El Capistan, it's everything I want in a delay.  I was waiting to pull the trigger until after the holiday season to see if any sales spring up but I'm not feeling any love...gonna order one here soon.
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 24, 2013, 12:32:43 PM
THAT'S WHERE THAT WENT.

Fuck that was Wonderful sounding delay.

I have a busted DOD FX-90 laying around somewhere.  I should try to fix it.

Quote from: dogfood on January 04, 2014, 02:56:14 PM
Someone here craigslisted a Malekko 616.  I just emailed him.  I'm not particularly interested in an analog delay but I want to try it out.  Why the hell not buy it?  I may decide I love it.  I'm set on the Strymon El Capistan, it's everything I want in a delay.  I was waiting to pull the trigger until after the holiday season to see if any sales spring up but I'm not feeling any love...gonna order one here soon.

I've got one.  I like it a lot.  like my carbon copy too.
No Focus Pocus