Anyone here roll their own

Started by neighbor664, March 17, 2012, 02:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

rayinreverse

I do once in awhile. It's usually a few hour affair though,because the rice takes time to get right,then sauce making,then fish prep.

BitterAndTwisted

Why bother?  Life's too short to try to improve on perfection.  I don't mind fiddling about in the kitchen for ages but not when the rewards are minimal and better can be got elsewhere.
Fucking retards, taste my nuts while getting dunked on.

NCR600

Tried a few times, tastes good, looks shit. It's cheap enough to buy, so why bother? Unless you want to become a sushi chef.

neighbor664

Quote from: NCR600 on March 18, 2012, 07:49:59 AM
Tried a few times, tastes good, looks shit. It's cheap enough to buy, so why bother? Unless you want to become a sushi chef.

Shit, why cook or prepare your own food at all then?

yeezuz

hand rolls are good for parties, make your guests do some of the work. for sushi newbs or vegetarians, i make inari every time. a lot of people thing sushi is raw fish, so this dish is a good introduction to the concept of actual sushi. if it's just for dinner at home, then it's sashimi and rice on the side or a roll bento. i like kim bap too, but usually just buy that at the store; have never tried to make it myself.

mutantcolors

Quote from: neighbor664 on March 18, 2012, 02:24:35 PM

Because some things can be done better, for cheaper, to your personal tastes at home. When was the last time a good hamburger was really worth the $9-12 it is at a restaurant these days? Imagine the burger you can make yourself at home for that money.

BitterAndTwisted

NCR is an accomplished cook.  If he thinks making sushi and whatnot at home isn't worth the time and effort expended then it's not.  And I agree with him.  That doesn't make either of us junk-food addicts or people with more money than sense.  I daresay we find fiddling in the kitchen with other things a bit more worthwhile.

I've never heard of a nine to twelve buck hamburger and I deffo wouldn't eat one in any case.  Shit like that's nursery food to me, not a suitable restaurant meal for a grown adult.

rayinreverse

Sushi is definitely not cheaper to get at a restaurant for me.

RAGER

I've never heard of a nine to twelve buck hamburger and I deffo wouldn't eat one in any case.  Shit like that's nursery food to me, not a suitable restaurant meal for a grown adult.

WHAT??!!!  I don't mean to be a dick but you haven't been to a place that had a really phenom burger.  the burger world is bigger than you think.
No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

Yeah, I honestly shot low with that number. Fuckin' Chili's probably charges $10.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 20, 2012, 05:07:42 PM

Because some things can be done better, for cheaper, to your personal tastes at home. When was the last time a good hamburger was really worth the $9-12 it is at a restaurant these days? Imagine the burger you can make yourself at home for that money.

...or the same reason some of us make our own music. It doesn't matter so much that you make it better than what you buy. The point is YOU MADE IT.

mutantcolors

Well yeah, fuck Chili's. That's part of my point hahaha.

Volume

We make some sushi every once in a while and it's al least as good as the stuff you get in restaurants. Then again sushi is a fairly new thing around here and I don't think you can get proper sushi. We usually do pretty simple stuff and with shrimp, crab, roe and cured(?) salmon (what do you call it when you cure it in salt and sugar?) and also vegetarian rolls (avocado, cucumber, carrot, etc.) and california rolls. I love tuna, but that's so expensive around here and it's being fished to extinction so I try to avoid it.

NCR600

Effort vs reward. I'm happy to spend 8 hours brewing a beer, because I really like beer. Shit, if I make a proper sourdough bread, I have to get the starter happening a week out from baking day. I'm not prepared to frig around making a bunch of sushi because there is a sushi shop on every corner here that can do it at least as well as I can, for about the same cost once you consider wastage etc. And I don't like sushi enough to eat more than about 5 bucks worth.

Quote from: BitterAndTwisted on March 20, 2012, 08:25:09 PM
NCR is an accomplished cook.

Now that's given me an ego lift for the day!

Speaking of expensive hamburgers, I had a 19 dollar burger when I was tooling around the south coast a few weeks back. It was bloody fantastic, which it would want to have been at that price.

neighbor664

A $9-12 burger is expensive? For fast food maybe, but that's pretty average for a sit down, "gourmet" or specialty burger.

GodShifter

Hey now, I just got back from a Chili's and I'll have you know I had a very mediocre Margarita ChickenĀ® on a bed of watery black beans and overcooked rice! So, haters gonna hate (for good reason).

Anyway, the burgers were priced around 7.99 to start with the highest priced one being just under $10.

BitterAndTwisted

Quote from: RAGER on March 20, 2012, 09:15:44 PM

WHAT??!!!  I don't mean to be a dick but you haven't been to a place that had a really phenom burger.  The burger world is bigger than you think.

You're not being a dick, you just have a different opinion to the one I hold.  And that's perfectly fine.  I still stand by comment that in my opinion hamburgers are not a suitable restaurant meal for a grown adult.  That's kid's food or for grown-ups eating at home.  Eat it if you like it.  I don't but then I haven't eaten any meat in over two decades.  Don't forget, I'm a UK person and we know about good meat, especially beef because we produce some of the best and most wholesome in the world.  No vast, year-round, indoor cattle-sheds here: they're all kept outside in the sunshine eating grass like they should.  Did you know that US imports of beef are banned here because of those filthy growth-hormones US farmers dose their cattle with? 

rayinreverse

Quote from: BitterAndTwisted on March 23, 2012, 10:07:28 AM
Quote from: RAGER on March 20, 2012, 09:15:44 PM

WHAT??!!!  I don't mean to be a dick but you haven't been to a place that had a really phenom burger.  The burger world is bigger than you think.

You're not being a dick, you just have a different opinion to the one I hold.  And that's perfectly fine.  I still stand by comment that in my opinion hamburgers are not a suitable restaurant meal for a grown adult.  That's kid's food or for grown-ups eating at home.  Eat it if you like it.  I don't but then I haven't eaten any meat in over two decades.  Don't forget, I'm a UK person and we know about good meat, especially beef because we produce some of the best and most wholesome in the world.  No vast, year-round, indoor cattle-sheds here: they're all kept outside in the sunshine eating grass like they should.  Did you know that US imports of beef are banned here because of those filthy growth-hormones US farmers dose their cattle with? 

You lost me at hamburgers are not suitable restaurant meal for a grown adult.

And I agree the american beef industry is sickening.

I,Galactus

I've never rolled my own, predominantly because I don't know where I could get the supplies in my area.

Quote from: BitterAndTwisted on March 23, 2012, 10:07:28 AM
Did you know that US imports of beef are banned here because of those filthy growth-hormones US farmers dose their cattle with? 

I didn't know that but am not surprised.   :(

There is plenty of good beef to be had in the US, but as an industrial meat supplier we're pretty much fucked.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

BitterAndTwisted

Growth-hormone usage in cattle is one of the reasons why I'm so sceptical when our American friends wax so lyrical about the pleasures of burger-eating.  If I was a meat-eater I think I might be a bit more worried about eating chickens.  Some of them are truly filthy and the way they are raised in some places is shameful.

At the beginning of this year the UK banned permanently-caged battery hens and because of that we're not able to import from mainland Europe.  The prices of  eggs has soared over the last few weeks so that's caused a shortage which has also affected the price of free-range ones.  Organic free-range are probably only within reach of the very well-off now.  I saw some in the supermarket the other day which were priced at Ā£1.20 EACH.  We'll be reduced to eating only carrots and swedes soon

Metal and Beer

Swedes can be delicious if prepared properly   :P
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

khoomeizhi

'swede' is such a better word than 'rutabaga'
let's dispense the unpleasantries