Whitehall Drums- 1960's Pearl brand

Started by hayseed, March 20, 2012, 12:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

I have an old drum kit called a Whitehall that was made by pearl in the 60's. Its a bass, rack tom and floor tom in a color called Root Beer Swirl. Missing lugs on the front bass head. I got in in high school but its been in my old drummers attic for YEARS.

I can't find too much info on it but I through it on CL for $100 just to get rid of it. I am getting flooded with emails!! Is this thing worth something or is just an old kit?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

mortlock

id hang on to it..you def got something..

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

hayseed

mortlock

get with the next human being you come in contact with and they will show you how.

hayseed

Am I the last idiot who can't work one of these things? Dammit, I had a feeling I was alone!

Metal and Beer

Cancel your ad until you verify what those mugs are worth !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

hayseed

It's done. Kind of a shitty thing to do but....
I really don't think they are worth much but who knows. I'm not a drummer but I know what old Slingerland kit go for these days.

I'll have pics tomorrow when my better half wakes up. I can't get this damn thing to load them up......

The Shocker

Quote from: hayseed on March 20, 2012, 01:08:40 AM
Am I the last idiot who can't work one of these things? Dammit, I had a feeling I was alone!

I just got an iPhone and I don't know how either...

hayseed

hayseed

FYI- this wasn't as simple of a process as i thought it would be to upload pics here. I used Photobucket to do this, not sure if thats the easiest way but its all i could figure out.

I,Galactus

I don't know dick about drums, but just from looks alone those seem like a steal and half for $100.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

gatorsnot

justJon

The best answer to both your questions is yes. Yes, it's just an old kit, one of a slew of japanese knockoffs, whitehall, king, crown, and close to a dozen others. They were made of some kind of mahogany, when you took off the heads, you got a whiff of cedar, right? Hundreds or thousands of them were imported in the early-mid sixties. They were entry-level then, and aren't any better now.

BUT! Very few have survived in the kind of condition your pics show, particularly a complete kit in that condition. So, yes, to the right buyer it's worth considerably more than the $100 you're asking. Whether it's worth it to you to hang onto it until you find such a buyer is up to you. If I were going to buy it, I'd pay like $150, and keep it as a knock-around kit in my kid's room. But I'm not one of those collectors.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

RAGER

So let me get this straight.  You posted them for sale on CL for one price and you got several interested buyers so you thought they might be worth more so you're reconsidering??  Way to perpetuate the flakey bullshit of CL.  Not cool.  Do your research before hand.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

Quote from: justJon on March 20, 2012, 12:43:30 PM
The best answer to both your questions is yes. Yes, it's just an old kit, one of a slew of japanese knockoffs, whitehall, king, crown, and close to a dozen others. They were made of some kind of mahogany, when you took off the heads, you got a whiff of cedar, right? Hundreds or thousands of them were imported in the early-mid sixties. They were entry-level then, and aren't any better now.

BUT! Very few have survived in the kind of condition your pics show, particularly a complete kit in that condition. So, yes, to the right buyer it's worth considerably more than the $100 you're asking. Whether it's worth it to you to hang onto it until you find such a buyer is up to you. If I were going to buy it, I'd pay like $150, and keep it as a knock-around kit in my kid's room. But I'm not one of those collectors.
That's about the info I gathered too. My asking price is about right. I was very surprised at the amount of interest about them. I pulled the ad but I kept the contacts that emailed and spoke to them. Everybody was understanding in the matter.oh well. Somebodys getting a cool little kit this week regardless.

chlorpromazine

Yep the old Japanese drums are a niche item. I love the wrap on that kit. It looks like the lugs are Slingerland knockoffs, but that consolette rail that holds the rack tom is a Ludwig thing. Those wily Japanese seemed to take innovations from the different US manufacturers and incorporate all of them on their kits.

If you find the right buyer, you can make more money on those if you hang onto them and keep an eye on the vintage drum forums for the right buyer. If you want to move them, you have them priced right. $100 - $200.

um
where are you located?

hayseed

Quote from: chlorpromazine on March 22, 2012, 06:55:22 AM
Yep the old Japanese drums are a niche item. I love the wrap on that kit. It looks like the lugs are Slingerland knockoffs, but that consolette rail that holds the rack tom is a Ludwig thing. Those wily Japanese seemed to take innovations from the different US manufacturers and incorporate all of them on their kits.

If you find the right buyer, you can make more money on those if you hang onto them and keep an eye on the vintage drum forums for the right buyer. If you want to move them, you have them priced right. $100 - $200.

um
where are you located?
The wrap is very cool indeed. I am near Pittsburgh.

chlorpromazine

Aye. That's about 800 miles too far away for me to come buy them off of you.