Main Menu

Who inspires you?

Started by Discö Rice, March 23, 2012, 01:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Name 5 bands or musicians that make you want to write music whenever you hear them. Post an interesting video of each one!

1. (Surprise!) Melvins

2. Black Flag

3. Nick Cave

4. Botch

5. Karp

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

sheikyerbouti

1. Oxbow

2. Mr Bungle

3. Ramesses

4. Iron Monkey

5. Einstuerzende Neubauten

liquidsmoke

This thread will get seriously bogged down if too many people each post 5 vids, just saying. Links might be better.

Ombrenuit

At work so I can't post a vid (posting from le cell). A forewarning: I have a lot of influences outside of stoner rock.

1. The Cure. Huge fan. First band I ever got into and I own all their albums. Admittedly, Smith was a lot cooler in the 80s...
2. Eddie Glass of Nebula. Amazing guitarist. The primary reason I bought a wah and started getting lessons to improve my playing.
3. Electric Wizard. Got me into heavy shit.
4. Cocteau Twins. Favorite stoner music if you know what I mean.
5. Lust more. Weird, moody, ambient shit.

VOLVO)))

Y'all don't know shit about non-doom Jake.

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

56Merc

1.  Black Sabbath - If I hear anything off Vol. 4 or Masters of Reality I gotta pick up a guitar  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhZISswW_k

2.  Weedeater - Wizard Fight.  Balls out energy on this!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cniwPE5XZGQ

3.  Corrosion of Conformity - These Shrouded Temples is the best intro to a show. period.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbG-QB_MEQ

4.  The Beatles - Fucking great song writers.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbG-QB_MEQ

5.  Thin Lizzy - Makes me want to harmonize every riff I hear!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkyEAA7ers

Discö Rice

Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 23, 2012, 01:59:33 PM
This thread will get seriously bogged down if too many people each post 5 vids, just saying. Links might be better.
Do what you like, man. I'm not worried about it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Discö Rice on March 23, 2012, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 23, 2012, 01:59:33 PM
Do what you like, man. I'm not worried about it.

ain't gonna hurt it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

no particular order to this and im going to tailor this to my own personal stuff

Hiwatt amps, Reeves build quality and lead dress is the stuff of legends.

Dopesmoker

MoR Era Sabbath, and lots of other sab stuff 2 but that in particular

Electric Wizard (who da thunk it)

That feeling of being in front of a wide open amp

The Riffer

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

grimniggzy

man, i really need the computer admin guy at my work to update my flash.
since i got this new work computer all i see are red x's instead of videos.

I've gotta stew a little longer about my inspirations.

Hemisaurus

For me it's what's, not who's ;)

tossom

1 - Free 

2 - Black Sabbath

3 - Rory Gallagher, fooking love this track

4 - Whatever album I happen to be digging at the moment!  Just now this is Stone Axe I as going to see them next month.

5 - Thin Lizzy, the first band I can remember being into.  Parents were/are big fans. 

"Beige rock"

hayseed

This is a great thread idea! Can't do the videos right now but I can give a list. In no particular order and mostly non-doom related, but honest:

1. Black Sabbath- Ozzy years. All of it. Nuff said.
2. Clutch- I love this band to no end. Especially Elephant Riders.
3. Misfits- Danzig era mainly. Favorite band of all time and it will never change.
4. AC/DC- Cuz they are just so damn good!
5. Motörhead- no need to explain because Lemmy just rules

Various early punk, hardcore and thrash also inspire me to play. I'll probably get eaten alive here for my choices but they haven't changed since I was a kid and started my first band!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

i'm with hemi. things inspire me:

standing outside on a cold night listening to the coyotes howl.

being hungover and feeling every pulse your body makes.

seeing my daughter freak out to some doomy riff i'm playing.

neighbor664

Iron Mtn

1. Black Sabbath
2. Can
3. Black Flag
4. Electric Wizard
5. Earthless

rayinreverse

I don't usually listen to a band and then get inspired to play.

But every time I see koi from Dwellers/Iota play I get inspired to be a better guitar player.
Its almost always shows that move me.

DustinAR

There's some awesome videos in this thread....right now:

chlorpromazine

jibberish

when i make some ghetto recording studio, the name will be the jimi, fripp, zappa, iommi house of worship. there is a HUGE clue as to 4 of my inspirations heh. and for real. jimi is in my "thumb-over" technique and using the guitar like several instruments. fripp that insane math-jazz wankery. zappa is almost as goofball as i am and flat smokes. iommi because sabbath is crucial to my existence.

and for number 5, this would be tough.   is it chet atkins? is it acid king? commander cody? YOB? AC-DC??? 90's rave tunes? hole? old genesis? zydeco dance party? ...the list is endless

although right now it's the cover of black betty by spiderbait. they way simplified the arrangement.

lordfinesse

For me, this tends to change over time. I don't know how to post videos (and I'm ok with that). At the moment, I want to play when I hear:

1) Those Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed "Me and Jerry" and "Me and Chet" albums. Damn fine playing. Sounds like they're having a blast. Makes me want to sit 3 feet from another player with an acoustic and throwdown.
2) Django Reinhardt. I know I'm late to the party here, but I'm digging it lately.
3) Prong - Cleansing. Lately it makes me want to crunch more than I normally crunch.
4) Clever, well written and well played guitar parts in songs that aren't really guitar driven songs. Example: Genesis - Mama. The middle section with the verse that begins with "Can't you see me here Mama.." What the guitar does just under the synths is so good, and it's subtle. If you're not listening for it, you're not likely to hear much of it.
5) Young bands that are still new at being a band, but play with such wide-eyed, naive excitement.. like they think they're gonna conquer the world, not yet jaded or bitter (like so many of us :)
Billy Squier 24/7