Vietnamese sandwich shop opening up near me

Started by The Shocker, March 23, 2012, 03:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

What can I expect?  Remember I live in Mississippi, so this will be a totally new experience.  There is one Vietnamese restaurant in my town, but it is all varieties of soup, not sandwiches.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

bitter

I saw some of those described on tv once. It's a classic French sandwich with Vietnamese ingredient. Looks delicious.  
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

The Shocker

Quote from: Demon Lung on March 23, 2012, 03:56:04 PM
Grilled cat

If it's cooked right, I don't fucking care what kind of meat it is.

Mr Neutron

i wish there was someplace near here to get good banh mi
"Where words fail, music speaks."

Lumpy

It's delicious if they do it right (and if you swing that way). Good crusty French baguette lightly toasted (I think) and buttered, some unusual pork cold cuts/paté (just roll with it), pickled julienne vegetables, cucumber slices, etc. It's like a small explosion of balanced textures and flavors. Order the "Classic" or whatever they call the #1 Combination (don't chicken out and order meatballs the first time, or chicken). I don't like paté or cold cuts, but when they package it all together in a sandwich, it just works. Plus, they sell them cheap -- like 4 bucks here. You probably won't want the classic banh mi cold cuts every single time - after you pop your cherry you can branch out with a spicy catfish sandwich or whatever. If they offer "spicy" say yes... it's just some jalapeños which are pretty mild.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

bitter

Quote from: Lumpy on March 23, 2012, 05:27:15 PM
It's delicious if they do it right (and if you swing that way). Good crusty French baguette lightly toasted (I think) and buttered, some unusual pork cold cuts/paté (just roll with it), pickled julienne vegetables, cucumber slices, etc. It's like a small explosion of balanced textures and flavors. Order the "Classic" or whatever they call the #1 Combination (don't chicken out and order meatballs the first time, or chicken). I don't like paté or cold cuts, but when they package it all together in a sandwich, it just works. Plus, they sell them cheap -- like 4 bucks here. You probably won't want the classic banh mi cold cuts every single time - after you pop your cherry you can branch out with a spicy catfish sandwich or whatever. If they offer "spicy" say yes... it's just some jalapeños which are pretty mild.

I like everything you said here.

The Shocker

Gonna hit it as soon as it opens.  I love spicy shit and have no problem with liver, pate' or even tripe.  Just hate cilantro and as long as they don't put that in there I'll try anything.

Lumpy

Oh shit, I think it does have cilantro actually :(

Ask if they can make it without. They use it in a lot of dishes.

bitter

Yeah I think it kind of build around cilantro  :-[

The Shocker

Pretty sure they'll make me one without it.  Money talks.

RAGER

It's definitely not built around cilantro but usually an ingredient.  The bread is important (not just any baguette, it's a thinner crust kind) and the pate` is key.
No Focus Pocus

bitter

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said it like that.

El Zombre

Get a Vietnamese iced coffee too while you're at it! Prepare for an intense drink! I usually sip it slow almost like an espresso, letting the ice do their work and cut it some.

DavidATX

This is another great thing about being in Texas, specifically Houston. There are so many vietnamese restaurants.  The sandwiches are great but I haven't eaten them in years. I almost always get vermicelli bowls (see the BLT thread in general). I eat vietnamese food about once a week. Hopefully the place in Mississippi is good.

The Shocker

It appears to be run by the same people that have the vietnamese soup place, which is very good.  One thing is I can't compare it to anywhere else, so if it's good I'll think it is the best vietnamese sandwich I've ever had.  :D