Main Menu

Peavey Butcher

Started by rayinreverse, January 14, 2011, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayinreverse

Looking for a tube combo. Willing to trade a Peavey Butcher.

VOLVO)))

What type of tube combo? Location? I miss my Butcher... nonoman has it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

What's the Butcher like on bass then?

I have an old Alamo, 2 channel, based on the old Bassman / Marshall built in Texas in the 60's,  3 12AX7's, 2 5881's and a tube rectifier, and a 15" speaker which someone has replaced with an old cinema 15".

dogfood

the butcher is a jcm800 if my memory serves me.  50 or 100?  wouldn't say it was made for bass.
Problem solving whiskey!

Hemisaurus

Well the JCM800's are easy to bass up, same as most Marshalls, but maybe I'll hang on to the Alamo, it's all point to point wiring, and wait 'til my buddy tires of his Bugera 1960 and mod it instead.

That Peavey schematic is weird, trying to wrap my head around them separating it up into separate PCB's, it's like it makes sense, but not.

VOLVO)))

It's not a JCM800, it's WAY brighter. It also has a fixed bias, for 6L6's. If I remember correctly, you can drop 6550's into it without a problem, same plate voltage, Herbis would know. It's got the same control layout as an 800, knobs are in different locations. They're biased cold, but pleasing. For bass, it sounds pretty damn rad. Not as much bottom end as you'd expect, but it and a 2x15 make a solid combination. Nice middy overdriven tone, since that thing has little/no headroom. I miss the shit out of mine. I regret selling my Mississippi Marshall.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

Im open to lots of things really.
would love a tele too. just never use the butcher, but could probably use a decent combo or other guitar.
starting a new project that I feel is going to call for more of a strat/tele/blues jr tone.

Hemisaurus

On most amps dropping 6550's or KT-66/77/88 in place of EL-34's or 6L6's means doubling the output impedance of the speakers used, so if you have 16/8/4 switchable you now have 32/16/8, if memory serves this is also the principle the Weber kits use.

Ray, you never said where you are at, shipping a combo might be pretty prohibitively expensive.

Sunn thanks for that, I did play a 2x15 Peavey with a Carvix X-100 for a few of the punk shows, nice sound, wasn't always loud enough though.

rayinreverse

im in Utah, and I didnt really think about that.
though shipping a butcher head would be a bunch too. its pretty heavy.
I might take it down to the local used gear shop, and see what theyll give me for it.

VOLVO)))

65+ pounds, when I took mine up to Georgia to hand off to nonoman we talked for a good ten minutes about how heavy the fucking thing was. hahaha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

nonoman

I'd hate to have to ship one! Its close to being heavier than the 4x12 its sitting on.

I'm happy as fuck with that thing. If you use more post than pre, you can get all the low end you need.
No good deed goes unpunished.

spookstrickland

Those old Peavey's are just fucking insane heavy.  I got a VTX it's basically a 4 power tube as apposed to 6 Power Tube version of a Peavey Mace and it is just fucking beastly.  It takes Pedals great and is the first amp I've ever owned that I did not have to dime the bass knob to get as much bass as I wanted.  Just too fucking heavy and why I'm also searching for a lighter gig worthy amp ;D
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

I gave up looking for a lighter amp, as my cabs are all insanely heavy.  :-\

rayinreverse

yeah I play through an electric 6x12. the thing is so fucking beastly that the weight of the head just doesnt matter anymore.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 15, 2011, 07:25:44 PM
I gave up looking for a lighter amp, as my cabs are all insanely heavy.  :-\

Seems like there is just no getting around "heavy" when it comes to heavy music.  I'm still waiting for carbon fiber amp cabs :D
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

HeavyEar

"searching in the sun for another overload"

lordfinesse

This showed up on Charlotte Craigslist today if anyone is interested. Peavey Butcher head for $375obo.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/3958571299.html
Billy Squier 24/7

RAGER

What are the main differences between those and the vtm
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Dipswitches and gain structure!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

So one sucks more or less than the other? :P
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Butcher needs a bright cap snip, vtm is super flexible but you can't diddle the dipswitches on the fly.

Both rule, I prefer the butcher due to closeness to 2203s.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

taylo)))r

Quote from: rayinreverse on January 15, 2011, 02:47:36 PM
Im open to lots of things really.
would love a tele too. just never use the butcher, but could probably use a decent combo or other guitar.
starting a new project that I feel is going to call for more of a strat/tele/blues jr tone.

What new project are you starting dingus? You can use my twin if you want...anytime.
(insert interesting quote)

taylo)))r

Oh wait, is this way old? The post I mean.?
(insert interesting quote)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 15, 2011, 01:30:13 PM
It's not a JCM800, it's WAY brighter.

Treble knob? A friend of mine had one years back and I do remember ice picks but he likes that type of tone. But still, treble knob.

VOLVO)))

I zeroed it out, and it was still fucking bright, and trebly and gross. then snipped the cap, and the whole range was usable.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.