I need help with a soft screw

Started by Discö Rice, April 05, 2012, 02:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

and I knew to come here first. Whaddya say, boys? Penis? Butthole?

Also, I am actually looking for advice on how to remove a screw from something  when the act of unscrewing it seems to turn the phillips-shaped slot into laffy taffy. If I can't get it out I have to buy a new double pedal, and I have other things I need to spend that money on.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Which pedal? Pics or it didn't happen.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

You can try notching it with a dremel tool & use a regular screwdriver to remove it.

Alternatively, you gotta drill the head off & try to remove the shaft. If that doesn't work, gotta drill that out, too, then retap or use a helicoil.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Metal and Beer

Pic of the rounded culprit, gotta assess the sitch to determine action (is there any sticking up/out? Severity o' the damage? That kinda thing..). If there's none stickin' out and/or access is limited, you may need an EZ-Out* and a drill w/ smaller-than-stripper* bit. Simply bore the offender*, insert EZ-Out and staaaaaat removin', Norton

* That's What She Said

Editista: I was a-typin' when the other replies came in
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

The screws (there's more than one of the bastards) are in the bottom of the heel plate on the left pedal. The hinge is broken and I can't replace it unless I can get those screws out. I won't be at my practice space until later tonight, but I'll snag some pictures when I get there.

RAGER

I would use my Matco screw extractor set.  Do you have any decent tools like a Dremel like Racer said?
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 05, 2012, 02:42:59 PM
The screws (there's more than one of the bastards) are in the bottom of the heel plate on the left pedal. The hinge is broken and I can't replace it unless I can get those screws out. I won't be at my practice space until later tonight, but I'll snag some pictures when I get there.

Try some penetrating oil on it first: after applying it, tap the area sharply a few times to encourage penetration, then leave for a few hours/overnight before trying to remove.
Livin' The Life.

grimniggzy

huhhuh, that's what she said @ this entire thread.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bloodofkings

Try the screw extractor first. Ever try to drill a #8 or a #6?  Even drilling a #10 is a monstrous pain in the ass. A little oil and a screw extractor have been far more effective than an easy out ever has for me.  I've snapped easy outs on the small diameter screws more than I care to mention. Drilling tapping or throwing a helicoil in is the absolute last thing I go for. Drilling small diameter screws takes an element of skill and depending on the grade of the screw could be a pain in the ass I've found. This is assuming it's a small diameter screw. With a diameter smaller than a 1/4". They're pretty small and don't typically have as much torque on them as 1/4" or wider diameter screws have.
I can't crap for shit.

RacerX

Quote from: bloodofkings on April 05, 2012, 03:21:20 PM
Try the screw extractor first. Ever try to drill a #8 or a #6?  Even drilling a #10 is a monstrous pain in the ass. A little oil and a screw extractor have been far more effective than an easy out ever has for me.  I've snapped easy outs on the small diameter screws more than I care to mention. Drilling tapping or throwing a helicoil in is the absolute last thing I go for. Drilling small diameter screws takes an element of skill and depending on the grade of the screw could be a pain in the ass I've found. This is assuming it's a small diameter screw. With a diameter smaller than a 1/4". They're pretty small and don't typically have as much torque on them as 1/4" or wider diameter screws have.

Agreed. Drilling/helicoil is the final option after exhausting all other options. Hell, if you try the oil, you may not even need a screw extractor. Depends on how fucked up the screw head is, tho.
Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

I stopped before it got too out of hand, so the oil might do the trick. Time to lay a sacrificial offering of cocaine and ball sweat at the altar of the drum gods.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 05, 2012, 04:04:25 PM
I stopped before it got too out of hand, so the oil might do the trick. Time to lay a sacrificial offering of cocaine and ball sweat at the altar of the drum gods.

haha, applauded.

Chovie D

sorry , I can only help you with a brootal force fucking.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

If any of the screw is accessible, ie. not in the hole, a set of wire cutters can be used to get a grip on accessible portion, and remove the whole screw.

Ayek

Maybe try an impact driver, depending on the screw size. Those things do wonders, I never believed till I saw one in action. My Panasonic is fuckin ace

Discö Rice

RAGER

Those don;t look that bad to me but I tear RV's apart and rebuild them for a living so i encounter much worse.  Hose them down with PB Blaster let sit for an hour or so, make sure you've got a really good #2 phillips screw driver with a precision tip (like my Matco/Witte ones) and lean into it with slow even pressure.  The heads don't seem so  bunged up that you'd have to Dremel a slot in them.  But if that doesn't sork you could Dremel the sides of the screw head flat and get a small pair of vise grips on them and slowly work it out.  This is easy for me to say because I have all the tools necessary for this stuff.  No screw has ever beaten me because that's not an option in my work. :)  Good luck.
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Diesel works as a penetrating oil, but I guess in the throbbing metropolis you don't have easy access to that either.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 06, 2012, 03:41:03 PM
Diesel works as a penetrating oil, but I guess in the throbbing metropolis you don't have easy access to that either.

Nah, he can get diesel about 2 blocks away at the BP station. I don't know if you can buy a quarter-cup though :)

Gabe I have vice grips. Since there's big head on that screw, maybe that would work? Let me know if you want to use 'em.

I have some solvents here too... Goo Gone? Lighter Fluid? Maybe some turpentine. I don't know if that's what you need?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Ayek

It is a boon that they're not countersunk. Take your time, you'll be ok.

Hemisaurus

You can buy as little from a pump as you like, I bought 4c worth of gas this week, as the pump was broken, and that's all it could put out. If they're not paying attention, just put some in a jelly jar, don't worry diesel isn't flammable like gas is.

If you don't own, or can't get a grip with vise grips, try a nice pair of wire cutters, especially on those countersunk heads in non-countersunk holes, should be a piece of piss. ;)

Of course you will bollocks up the screw head, so don't do it if you want to re-use the same screws.