Can anyone recommend me any books in the Horror genre?

Started by gritty_fingers, April 07, 2012, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gritty_fingers

^Topic

I'm always looking for something new to read.
"Ginger People"

Dunedin

Hope you get a better response than my sci-fi thread! I'm still waiting.  :)
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

BastardCthulhu

Check out Brian Keene.  He has a few great zombie books (Uprising, City of the Dead), and some other Lovecraft inspired fucked up crazy shit (Conqueror Worms, Deluge).  He's pretty good at straight up old school horror in general.  Check out A Gathering of Crows and Urban Gothic as well.

I,Galactus

Anything by Thomas Ligotti.  Seriously eldritch shit set in modern times.

Quote from: Dunedin on April 08, 2012, 03:00:47 AM
Hope you get a better response than my sci-fi thread! I'm still waiting.  :)
Sorry man, you said modern.  I only dig vintage sci-fi.   :-\
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Dunedin

No worries, I like vintage stuff too, but was looking for recommendations of stuff that I'd likely not have read because it was new out. I might take you up on your horror recommendation though. It's a genre I don't read very often
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

gritty_fingers

Quote from: BastardCthulhu on April 08, 2012, 10:59:10 AM
Check out Brian Keene.  He has a few great zombie books (Uprising, City of the Dead), and some other Lovecraft inspired fucked up crazy shit (Conqueror Worms, Deluge).  He's pretty good at straight up old school horror in general.  Check out A Gathering of Crows and Urban Gothic as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. I just learned that some of old horror books from Dennis Wheatley is coming back in print in June. I always wanted to read "The Devil Rides Out". I heard it's better than the movie.
"Ginger People"

diasdegalvan

Mr Neutron

i'll second the ligotti recommendation. VERY lovecraftian.

House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski. not a stereotypical horror book, and a total mindfuck.

The Girl Next Door - Jack Ketchum - ketchum isn't a very good writer, but this book is seriously brutal.

The Hellbound Heart - Clive Barker. The written version of Hellraiser.

The Terror - Dan Simmons. Great atmosphere. Creepy.

Relic - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

"Where words fail, music speaks."

gritty_fingers

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I added some to my Amazon.com wishlist.
"Ginger People"

frobbert

Anything by Joe R. Lansdale of course. Kathe Koja's early novels (The Cipher, Bad Brains, Strange Angels). Graham Joyce's The Tooth Fairy. Of the more recent books I've read I really Liked Tom Piccirilli's A Choir Of Ill Children and Albert Sánchez Piñol's Cold Skin. The writers I like most are the ones on the fringe of the horror genre, like the aforementioned Joe R. Lansdale but also Jonathan Carroll, Cormac McCarthy and the short stories of Paul Bowles.
bite me

frobbert

T.E.D. Klein's Dark Gods is the best thing in the genre I've read in ages. Now reading some classic shit by Arthur Machen. He's scarier than Lovecraft, seriously  :)
bite me

gguignol

If you're into Joe Lansdale, you might like Infernal Machines by Will Millar.
Oedipus Non Carboreundum

kyussapple

If you can find it The spirit by thomas page. I didnt go into the woods for two years after i had read that one.

Instant Dan

Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg is a good one. More of a thriller than horror with occult thrown in.

Danny G

House of Leaves for sure.

Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, while not exactly horror, is certainly fucking horrific.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

gritty_fingers

Quote from: Danny G on July 21, 2014, 03:57:57 AM

Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, while not exactly horror, is certainly fucking horrific.

I read both books and I enjoyed them.
"Ginger People"

ez

Quote from: gritty_fingers on July 22, 2014, 06:48:50 PM
Quote from: Danny G on July 21, 2014, 03:57:57 AM

I read both books and I enjoyed them.

I started reading both books and enjoyed giving them up half way through and moving on to something "less challenging" instead.

But then, I read books mainly for entertainment.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?