Main Menu

Steinberger???

Started by clockwork green, April 08, 2012, 03:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Anybody ever play one? I've never had the chance to play a Steinberger.  I normally have no interest in buying one other than the novelty of them but in the last few years, whenever I get time off from work (which is a lot because I'm a teacher) I never get to play guitar because I'm always out of town (like this week I'm in LA) so I never get to play guitar on my breaks.  This summer we're planning on doing a lot of road tripping across the country.  I always have my phone and usually my iPad with me so I was thinking of getting a travel guitar....something small and durable but not expensive, just something to jam on.  I don't want a short scale, folding guitar so I was figuring one of those steinbergers with no headstock and the broomhead bodies would be perfect to stash in the trunk and plug into my ipad with headphones to keep up my riff writing. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bitter

I think I played a Hohner headless bass copy at a store one time. I just remember it being awkward and heavy/solid.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

justJon

I loved the sound and feel of the basses. Only reason I never bought one is they were crazy expensive when I was a kid. Also, the lack of headstock can be a little disorienting. I kept thinking I was on the 5th fret, when I was on the 7th. If it's your only axe, or you're really paying attention, I suppose it wouldn't matter much.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Hemisaurus

Steinberger
Steinberger
Steinberger
Pepsi, not Coke! ;D

Metal and Beer

I always held 'em in odd regard but I recently played one at our local music-pawn (as opposed to a pawn shop w/ a few overpriced Squiers) and it felt, played and sounded pretty damn good..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Ranbat

Fun guitars and probably just what you're looking for as far as a travel guitar. They had some popularity in the 80s with bands emulating Devo and the Cars but never seemed to gain a wider acceptance except for a few jazz guys.
Meh :/

Hemisaurus

Reggae guys too seem to like them.

neighbor664

I've thought about doing the same thing. I fly often for work, I might actually bring my guitar along if I had less to worry about. Also, the TransTrem would be kinda cool to have.

clockwork green

I just found an adapter so you can use standard strings (instead of the double-ball ends)...I think I might have to paint it like this:

xayk

I have a P series with a TransTrem.  It excels as a travel instrument!  It's got weird stigmas - I actually got mine specifically because of my love of Buck Dharma - but the neck is great, it sounds great acoustic, it's rugged, the TransTrem is pretty awesome, and it's got passive EMG's that sound so good that I've never considered replacing them.  EMG's!

I should really play it more often.

Jake

I don't want to poop on anyone's parade, but it seems like you'd only be saving about 8" or so. So unless that minimal volume of space is absolutely crucial, I'd just go with a some sort of guitar you don't mind getting a little beat up or smooshed with a bunch of laggage, etc.
poop.

clockwork green

I'd be saving length and width plus if I went gig bag I'd save space for both but the headstock and tuners are more vulnerable in a standard guitar.

Jake

My guess is that unless you find a custom Steinberger one, the gig bag would be standard sized anyhoo, no? Get a beater Squier or something. When's the last time you heard about anyone snapping a headstock off of one of those?

I mean unless your heart's set on a Steinberger. You'll have enough room for a keytar in the trunk, too!
poop.

johnny problem

They're owned by Gibson, so I'd expect a high price.  Seek used!

Jake

poop.

clockwork green

They do have special gig bags and our trunk is usually filled with a dog crate, a Steinberger would barely fit as is. They are pretty damn small in person...the cheap wood ones are only 350-400 new.

RacerX

The Steinberger is 30 1/4" long; the travel guitar Jake posted is 28 5/8". Not that much of a difference in size.

In contrast, a Gibson is just shy of 40".
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

im thinking about the bass version..not so much because i like them..im a fender guy, but my lower back would probably love them..

Hemisaurus

You just need light? How about an acoustic bass, or a Kala?

Chovie D

You can buy a padded shotgun bag for $9.99 at GI Joes (or your local redneck sporting goods store) that will be perfect.
it will save a wee bit of room, as the shotgun case fits neatly behind your front seats horizontally. jake has a point also, its not THAT much room..... but it is some.

Its been a while but I recall them being quite heavy.I think there was a company making knockoffs too , and they were supposedly lighter? maybe I imagined that part... ???

RacerX

Quotejake has a point also, its not THAT much room..... but it is some.

It's almost 10 inches.
Livin' The Life.

James1214

that Kala bass has a super rad sound. i played one a coupla months back.
words

Hemisaurus

Wonder if I coud buy a set of strings and put them on a baritone uke?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on April 09, 2012, 08:10:13 PM
Quotejake has a point also, its not THAT much room..... but it is some.

It's almost 10 inches.

-snicker-

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

If you really want a tiny bass the Ashbory's are really cool.  Rubber strings, fretless but really deep sounding and under $300.