Bro-price for a Sovtek Mig-50

Started by VOLVO))), April 09, 2012, 04:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

So, I did my pal a solid, and bought him a legit rig. Pictured below.

He wanted more louderer, and more dirtierer, so I got that handled. He was using a MIG-50, but it has issues and he wants outta it. I want it, but can't spend too much money due to my pilgrimage to MDF. Bro-deal price for an issue'ded MIG-50. Works, just drops volume occasionally and has been run hard/dirty by hardcore kids...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

OUTLANDAH

Volume drops? Is there just perhaps a bad tube or a resistor under a tube shorting? Could just be wiring? Either way hows much?

Hemisaurus

Yeah we need some kind of icon system to distinguish the types of thread  ;D

Showing off threads, suggested icon small penis
Technical threads, suggested icon flapping lips
For sale threads, suggested icon small yellow citrus fruit

VOLVO)))

Mother of god... these pots...

I... have to redo... all of this.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Some ace repair work...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Derelict78

^WTF?
you would hope that anyone poking inside a tube amp would at the very least have SOME soldering skills

grimniggzy

Quote from: Derelict78 on April 09, 2012, 10:04:13 PM
^WTF?
you would hope that anyone poking inside a tube amp would at the very least have SOME soldering skills

haha

the diddler

With those issues, and the bro-factor, I'd go 200 tops.  How good a deal did you get him on the Peavey rig?  That should factor in as well.

VOLVO)))

He gave me a grand, I spent 750. Saved him 250.  It sure does sound good, cranked up. He said 200. I took it. I dont have to pay until im ready hehe. I already found it a nice home.

It's such a cute little head. Ive always wanted one.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

So.... replacing all of these pots is mandatory. Any special way I should do it?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Are you replacing them with the same kind of pot? If not you're going to end up with lots of little link wires and they won't fit the bracket.

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 09, 2012, 09:43:20 PM

Someone didn't want to have to remove all the knobs, and dismantle everything, to replace one bad resistor, probably saved your buddy a couple of hours of tech fees ;)

VOLVO)))

Real pots. The ones in there are so, so bad. Just pull the shit ones out and link the lugs to the holes with wire? Thassa it?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Electrically speaking pots are pots, it's the physical side that may give you trouble.

VOLVO)))

That bracket goes away. It's only purpose was to hold the pots.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baxandall

Oh so you meant he was really going metal.  I only wish I hadn't sold my XXX before you went looking.  

That board isn't all that dirty looking.  Yeah that's ugly solder but I doubt it is causing an issue.

Those pots.  Yeah.  How you gonna do that?  Maybe run some short wire from the PCB board and mount real alphas or something to the front then wire the wires???  That's all over an ugly situation to screw with.

mawso

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 09, 2012, 10:45:11 PM
He gave me a grand, I spent 750. Saved him 250.  It sure does sound good, cranked up. He said 200. I took it. I dont have to pay until im ready hehe. I already found it a nice home.

It's such a cute little head. Ive always wanted one.

always good to get a little head

The Shocker

The scale of that setup throws me off.  It looks like a little practice amp and cab, but Jake said it is a 2x12.

VOLVO)))

It is, my bench is huge, though. Cab is 26 inches wide

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

heytrid

there is one local to me for $325 and needs pots redone. i do really want it but $325 is pretty steep for an amp that needs work.. at least to my cheapass.

$200 i would not have thought twice about it.

Hemisaurus

Ask him if he'll knock $100 off if you let him keep the tubes?

-or-

Guitar Center will sell you a Windsor for $250, it's all about perspective ;D

-or-

$190 from this place, with free shipping?
http://j4music.oversupplywarehouse.com/Used-Peavey-Windsor-100W-Gtr-Head_i116295

VOLVO)))

Different shit, Herb. The little Mig has cute tone.

someone's offering me 400 bones. It makes me sad, because I wanna keep it... and I just got it... and I love it.

heytrid, see if he'll do 200 based on the four hours of work it's going to fucking take to make it right.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

It's all Marshall clone, I've got the schematics right here  ;D

Well the Windsor isn't as much a clone as the Mig, but if you want to be specific, theres the Bugera 1960 as well. I was tempted to start a thread, Amp Families. Why spend $325 on a bad russian clone, when you can get a bad american clone, or german/japan clone for less?

Pop two tubes out the Windsor, 50W Marshall clone.

Hemisaurus

Thinking though, of all the work you're going to do on it, why not go the whole hog? An extra $20 on a turret board, maybe another $20 on the components, you could have it handwired for not much more effort than you're planning to put in on the PCB.

Using the Weber to give an idea how easy the turretboard is.

Could be this tidy ;)

grimniggzy

yeah, hook us up with the Amp Families thread Hemi.