Is naming a band the worst shit ever or what?

Started by rayinreverse, April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayinreverse

I would rather eat safety pins than think about,and debate band names.
It's an evil necessity though.

justJon

A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

We decided on GARTHOK. I searched for a bit and couldnt find any other bands named Garthok, so we're going to use it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 13, 2012, 11:20:47 AM
We decided on GARTHOK. I searched for a bit and couldnt find any other bands named Garthok, so we're going to use it.

Maybe because no other band is this genre likes Garth Brooks? OK.

Quote from: rayinreverse on April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

Yet here you are making it a topic of conversation, weird huh?

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

RAGER

there use to be a band around here in the 80's call Emanon
No Focus Pocus

Fuhgawz

Yeah, naming a band is the worst! I'm going through the same process with my band at the moment. I'm thinking about not really caring if a name is already used or not, because nearly every possible name is already used by some shitty band on YouTube, MySpace, whatever. As long as it's not either a famous band, local band or lesser known band that makes similar music of course. 

Then there's still the issue of every band member agreeing on it. Pfff, such a hassle!

gatorsnot

Remember the bands called "free beer"?  The first time I heard it I thought how clever and cool, then EVERY town in Colorado had a band called "free beer" and I'm sure it was nation wide as well. 

Band names don't have to be phenomenal.  I mean the "Melvins" and how good are they?  Good luck.

hayseed

I always have a lot of fun with band names, especially when its MY band to name. However in those lovely cases where everyone has input , though probably does not deserve it, that is when it starts to suck. The key is to be appropriate for what you are doing without being too damn serious or too damn stupid. "There is a fine line between clever and stupid"

The way it has always gone for me when others were naming :
1. Always a guy that wants to name it something completely retarded with vulgar, lewd, or gross shit involved like they are 12 years old.

2. Always a guy that wants the obscure, dare i say "emo-ish", thought provoking  name.

3. Always a guy that suggests the most evil, satanic heavy metal sounding name despite that the band is none of those things:

4. Always a guy that wants to use their street name, county, city, etc
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Chovie D

Quote from: rayinreverse on April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

fuck yes, nothing worse than listening to the stupidst name suggestions youve ever heard from someone your gonna be spending the next year with....godzilla sized facepalm.

Mr. Foxen

Everyone should have given up on finding a great band name after The Who.

Discö Rice

I think naming a band is fun, but then again, the bands I've been in/tried to start all had ridiculous names.

"Lead Breath" on the other hand - serious business.  >:(

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

xayk

Quote from: Chovie D on April 13, 2012, 01:13:57 PM
godzilla sized facepalm.

Coulda been a band name!  Though it violates my personal "short band name/long song title" made-up ethos.

everdrone

Quote from: hayseed on April 13, 2012, 12:43:08 PM
I always have a lot of fun with band names, especially when its MY band to name. However in those lovely cases where everyone has input , though probably does not deserve it, that is when it starts to suck. The key is to be appropriate for what you are doing without being too damn serious or too damn stupid. "There is a fine line between clever and stupid"

The way it has always gone for me when others were naming :
1. Always a guy that wants to name it something completely retarded with vulgar, lewd, or gross shit involved like they are 12 years old.

2. Always a guy that wants the obscure, dare i say "emo-ish", thought provoking  name.

3. Always a guy that suggests the most evil, satanic heavy metal sounding name despite that the band is none of those things:

4. Always a guy that wants to use their street name, county, city, etc

yes!  ;D

Glitchyghost

You walked into a band with a great name.  Unfortunately, you're playing in a band with a bunch of numbskulls who though Sissyfoot was better than Inverter.

BastardCthulhu

"Always a guy that suggests the most evil, satanic heavy metal sounding name despite that the band is none of those things"

Whatcha trying to say there, ryan??

clockwork green

I hate the modern alternatives to names as well...the sentence fragment, the "creative" spelling and the naming of bands to sound the exact opposite of what they really are. 

I'm a biology teacher so sometimes I'll stumble across something that might be functional and it's always taken.  I wish I spoke another language or was an expert of some sort of obscure history...there see to be lots of cool, potential names there. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Instant Dan

At_Giza

Me and my bassist chose the name Lamprey about six or seven years ago, then I remembered a couple months ago that I saw a show flyer with the name Lamprey on it, and remembered that there was a relatively new band from Portland with the name Lamprey.

Really wasn't a problem, because when I brought it up he immediately chose the name Labyrinthodont. Now he's writing songs left and right about creatures in Labyrinthodontia. It's cool, saves me the trouble at being bad at songwriting.

RAGER

Quote from: At_Giza on April 13, 2012, 04:08:30 PM
Me and my bassist chose the name Lamprey about six or seven years ago, then I remembered a couple months ago that I saw a show flyer with the name Lamprey on it, and remembered that there was a relatively new band from Portland with the name Lamprey.

Really wasn't a problem, because when I brought it up he immediately chose the name Labyrinthodont. Now he's writing songs left and right about creatures in Labyrinthodontia. It's cool, saves me the trouble at being bad at songwriting.

I know I've played with Lamprey before.  they're a 3 pc with 2 bass players right?
No Focus Pocus

rayinreverse

Quote from: koi on April 13, 2012, 02:13:26 PM
You walked into a band with a great name.  Unfortunately, you're playing in a band with a bunch of numbskulls who though Sissyfoot was better than Inverter.

Ha ha ha

mutantcolors

Since witch is the popular new thing in band names, and sandy deserts are apparently where stoner rock comes from, I'm starting a new stoner rock band:

SAND WITCH.

If that falls through, electric ____ is pretty popular, and sharp blades are totally metal, so I'm going with:

ELECTRIC RAZOR.

ap

Quote from: koi on April 13, 2012, 02:13:26 PM

I will fuck you up!