Is naming a band the worst shit ever or what?

Started by rayinreverse, April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayek

Don't rule out the path of the band name generator. A band I was in was this close to calling ourselves Homecooked Ass. That band dissolved before any final decision had to be made.

At_Giza

Quote from: RAGER on April 13, 2012, 04:55:57 PM
Quote from: At_Giza on April 13, 2012, 04:08:30 PM
Me and my bassist chose the name Lamprey about six or seven years ago, then I remembered a couple months ago that I saw a show flyer with the name Lamprey on it, and remembered that there was a relatively new band from Portland with the name Lamprey.

Really wasn't a problem, because when I brought it up he immediately chose the name Labyrinthodont. Now he's writing songs left and right about creatures in Labyrinthodontia. It's cool, saves me the trouble at being bad at songwriting.

I know I've played with Lamprey before.  they're a 3 pc with 2 bass players right?

That they are.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: At_Giza on April 13, 2012, 06:29:06 PM
Quote from: RAGER on April 13, 2012, 04:55:57 PM
Quote from: At_Giza on April 13, 2012, 04:08:30 PM
Me and my bassist chose the name Lamprey about six or seven years ago, then I remembered a couple months ago that I saw a show flyer with the name Lamprey on it, and remembered that there was a relatively new band from Portland with the name Lamprey.

Really wasn't a problem, because when I brought it up he immediately chose the name Labyrinthodont. Now he's writing songs left and right about creatures in Labyrinthodontia. It's cool, saves me the trouble at being bad at songwriting.

I know I've played with Lamprey before.  they're a 3 pc with 2 bass players right?

That they are.
Fuck! I thought I was having an original idea doing that >:(

At_Giza

When'd you come up with it? If it was before 2010, they're copying you.

Hemisaurus

That said, there's already a two bass and drums band locally, but in a totally different genre, and they were doing it back in 2007 I think, check for The Rebel Bass.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-845243417239228629&hl=en

At_Giza

The idea's really not a new one. I wrote a bunch of stuff back in my freshman year in high school when I'd just started learning to play for six string bass and four string bass. I thought having two bass guitars like that in one band was an awesome idea. Of course, it was pretty crap music, basic theory wank, but hey, it was 2004 and I was just young a stupid.  ;D

Hemisaurus

The neds did it back in the 90's, but they had guitar as well. Whether the story of all five of them being originally being bassplayers is true or apocryphal, it's a good story ;)

dogfood

Candy Snatch...not to be confused with The Candy Snatchers.
Problem solving whiskey!

rayinreverse

A band here called Blackhole has been doing the two bass player thing for a few years.

mortlock

theres a dude in a band called 'mind furnace' from la and he fires me off this shitty msg on my bands fb page. he tells us how we are way late in using the name and how they are some big international act that has played the whiskey in la..blah, blah, blah.
i check out the band..they formed in 2001. we formed in 1992..which is clear if you spend 10 seconds reading the page..dudes a fuckin tool.

beerrhino

bandnamemaker.com
everybody hits the generate button once and picks their favorite out of the list.  Everybody's favorite goes into a hat an you go with whatever is picked

mortlock

Quote from: dogfood on April 13, 2012, 07:06:01 PM
Candy Snatch...not to be confused with The Candy Snatchers.

played with the candy snatchers in phx az once..way back in the 90s..

rayinreverse

Candysnatchers rule
my tshirt is getting worn out and Im bummed

mutantcolors

Dude from Giant Squid is doing a two bass two drummer thing that's pretty bad ass from the stuff I've heard. Hellship.

Lumpy

The difficulty is a little overrated IMO. Personally, I don't usually like band names that are too jokey (but if the band is light hearted, why not I guess. My biggest criteria is make it appropriate in whatever way you choose). Regional names are good. Naming your band after a song or album title (from you or somebody else) is good. If your band is good, that is extremely helpful. ;)

Need a band name? Describe your band. The more complete the explanation, the better. "like a cross between..." is acceptable. Location? Song titles. Vibe. Write at least a full paragraph. As much info as possible. Four paragraphs is better. What do you want the name to say/what do you value. I bet naming your band isn't that hard. What seems to be hard is that some musicians don't have a solid handle on what they are trying to do with their music, creatively speaking. If your band can be described and explained in a way that makes sense, your band can be named. And vice-versa. You can probably guess what a band sounds like, with a good name.

Also, if your band name isn't awesome, you can still do pretty well (The Beatles is one of the worst names ever) so don't worry too much.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

the beatles is one of the worst bands ever as well..

Ayek

Going back off track again, Spinal Tap had three basses in Big Bottoms

clockwork green

Lumpy you're just far too tolerant of bad names and I'm too picky and unable to commit to a name. Thankfully an old drummer of ours named our last band after I stopped caring.

I'm tired of this anti-Beatles crap. That's just fucking bullshit. They're far and away the best rock band ever. It doesn't make you a brilliant contrarian to deny this fact. You either hate or don't know music or you're a petulant dick. They may not be your particular favorite but they're better than your favorite just like they're better than my favorite.

(I should add that I'm in a super shitty mood, I got my girlfriend's car towed after the Melvins show tonight)
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

SpaceTrucker

Whatever happened to sci fi and horror movies? wait, great movies like these have all but dried up. Fuck man we smoke to much weed for this, but I got an ace in the sleeve, a dictionary of scientific terms. Bad ass names galore.

Metal and Beer

Just use Lovecraft bullshit !

Is Purple Goat Witch Mountain taken ?   :P
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Metal and Beer on April 14, 2012, 04:22:08 PM
Just use Lovecraft bullshit !

Is Purple Goat Witch Mountain taken ?   :P
If it is, just add the word Haze at the end. ;D

Purple Goat Witch Mountain Haze

Glitchyghost

Quote from: mortlock on April 14, 2012, 02:07:30 AM
the beatles is one of the worst bands ever as well..

Is that a fact?   IMHO you just made one of the most retarded statements ever, as well..