Is naming a band the worst shit ever or what?

Started by rayinreverse, April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

This used to be such a pain for me. Now I just try to keep it simple & remember the good ones for later.

Hemisaurus

There's always the time spent with the dictionary route. Just flicking through it looking for obscure words. A band I worked with, their name meant broken ships biscuits, mixed in molasses and baked, but it sorta matched their sound, and 90% of people had no idea what it meant.

themusketking

I'm in a band called Musket King and I decided to name my solo/collab project Rocket Appliances(Trailer Park Boys reference). 

I love both names and could not care less if anyone else digs them. haha. 
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

Cursed71

Lesbian is really good AND used to be called Lesbian Witch.  So. Yeah.  Band names are tough.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2012, 03:57:07 PM
There's always the time spent with the dictionary route. Just flicking through it looking for obscure words. A band I worked with, their name meant broken ships biscuits, mixed in molasses and baked, but it sorta matched their sound, and 90% of people had no idea what it meant.

A thesaurus is also good.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

The opinion that 'all' band names suck... I couldn't disagree more. There are sooooo many great ones. You could fill a book.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

Quote from: Lumpy on October 05, 2012, 07:09:03 PM
The opinion that 'all' band names suck... I couldn't disagree more. There are sooooo many great ones. You could fill a book.

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Cursed71 on October 05, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
Lesbian is really good AND used to be called Lesbian Witch.  So. Yeah.  Band names are tough.

I shouldn't have dragged them into my frustration. I'll give 'em a listen right now.

Hemisaurus

We have a local band called Lesbian Motocross, seen their name about, never heard them.

liquidsmoke

Some cool Rushy kind of stuff going on in this song

liquidsmoke

Thinking about going with Thorse. "A six-legged pack animal bred for its stability" from Dune.

rayinreverse

My friends had the best band name ever taken from Dune.
Art of Kanly

they were a great band, but had an even greater name. They are not to be confused with another band on youtube with the same name. this was 10 years ago. they were playing 90's hardcoreish influenced stuff.

We spent a lot of time debating names, and settled with Oxcross. Its taken from Game of Thrones.

liquidsmoke

I'd like to come up with something relating to a heavy object being dragged. Of course 'drag' has more than one meaning.. not exactly smart to give people an easy opportunity to make fun of your band. Was thinking 'Yawning Aperture' would be good but I just saw this band and let me tell you, I was yawning alright. Aperture just makes me people think of camera equipment despite the word coming into existence hundreds of years before cameras. I'm ready to write a song about how much coming up with a band name sucks.

Hemisaurus

Well in synonym, would Gaping Chasm work instead of yawning aperture?

As to drag, are you meaning to protract or prolong, in which case you could call the band Protractor ;)

or if you mean as in to haul or tow, you could use the word Draw, which also has other meanings like Draw Bar, or Draw Horse, or the old brewers Drey Horse. Rambling now ;)

QuoteA draft horse (US), draught horse (UK) or dray horse (from the Old English dragan meaning to draw or haul; compare Dutch dragen meaning to carry), less often called a work horse or heavy horse

rayinreverse

we came up with all the ways people could make fun of our band.
My favorite being Oxcross B'gosh.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 06, 2012, 02:32:11 PM
Well in synonym, would Gaping Chasm work instead of yawning aperture?

As to drag, are you meaning to protract or prolong, in which case you could call the band Protractor ;)

or if you mean as in to haul or tow, you could use the word Draw, which also has other meanings like Draw Bar, or Draw Horse, or the old brewers Drey Horse. Rambling now ;)

QuoteA draft horse (US), draught horse (UK) or dray horse (from the Old English dragan meaning to draw or haul; compare Dutch dragen meaning to carry), less often called a work horse or heavy horse

Yeah haul or tow. I was thinking about those words as well.

Hemisaurus

Play with Google Translate, I just found out the dutch for Tow Truck is Sleepwagen I kid you not ;D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: themusketking on October 05, 2012, 06:14:47 PM
I'm in a band called Musket King and I decided to name my solo/collab project Rocket Appliances(Trailer Park Boys reference). 

I love both names and could not care less if anyone else digs them. haha. 

Lurches™
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 06, 2012, 02:14:33 PM
I'd like to come up with something relating to a heavy object being dragged.

The bass player in my band used to have a band called, Dragged by Horses, which I always thought was a great name. They were pretty heavy too, with good writing.
CV - Slender Fungus

Hemisaurus

Naming a band, is totally not the worst shit, booking shows is. I'd welcome an Online Show Booker that you fed details and booked you into some nice sequential dates.

Mike IQ

I think it's fun. My last band, DBCR, (Drunken Belligerent Confrontational Rock,) was named in a mushroom-induced fit of enthusiasm at a Judas Priest concert. I liked it because we came up with the name and with it, the concept, and then modeled ourselves after that concept. And for a time, it worked...
"I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain." - Mike Tyson

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 07, 2012, 07:12:42 PM
Naming a band, is totally not the worst shit, booking shows is. I'd welcome an Online Show Booker that you fed details and booked you into some nice sequential dates.

Local shows are not going to be a problem as we have friends in other bands who have already invited us to play with them thankfully. Probably at the venues without sound people but I'm fine with that, one of them never charges a cover so it will be easier to get folks to come.