Is naming a band the worst shit ever or what?

Started by rayinreverse, April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Any Brits reading this? If so do you think it would be odd or offensive for an American band to use the name 'Mercian'? I don't think it's taken, it sounds awesome, and to my knowledge Midlands used to be the old kingdom of Mercia which means that Birmingham is in old Mercia and 2 particular pioneering heavy metal bands are from that city and therefor modern day Mercians. There is now a Midlands army regiment called The Mercian Regiment along with some businesses that also use Mercia or Mercian in their name. I just don't want death threats from crazy Brits, whether they are metal fans or pissed off Midlanders.

Hemisaurus

I think you should just call yourself Merican, in honour of the last president ;D

neighbor664

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 11, 2012, 02:09:13 AM
Any Brits reading this? If so do you think it would be odd or offensive for an American band to use the name 'Mercian'? I don't think it's taken, it sounds awesome, and to my knowledge Midlands used to be the old kingdom of Mercia which means that Birmingham is in old Mercia and 2 particular pioneering heavy metal bands are from that city and therefor modern day Mercians. There is now a Midlands army regiment called The Mercian Regiment along with some businesses that also use Mercia or Mercian in their name. I just don't want death threats from crazy Brits, whether they are metal fans or pissed off Midlanders.

Dude, you are way overthinking this.
Livin' The Life.

Mike IQ

"I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain." - Mike Tyson

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on October 11, 2012, 09:47:42 AM

Dude, you are way overthinking this.

I agree. It's kind of an ethnic thing though and I'm only a little bit English myself.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 11, 2012, 08:47:03 AM
I think you should just call yourself Merican, in honour of the last president ;D

Perfect name for a less serious band.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 11, 2012, 01:07:42 PM

I think you might find you get called that anyways, I had to re-read it to realize that wasn't what you had said in the first place.  ;)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 11, 2012, 02:53:24 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 11, 2012, 01:07:42 PM

I think you might find you get called that anyways, I had to re-read it to realize that wasn't what you had said in the first place.  ;)

Behind our backs mostly, that's fine. Haven't presented the name for a vote yet. We'll see.

moose23

I think you're mixing up British people with Americans but you could check in with these guys and see if they've received any threats.

https://www.facebook.com/merciany Mercia NY

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on October 12, 2012, 08:03:32 AM

I think you're mixing up British people with Americans but you could check in with these guys and see if they've received any threats.

https://www.facebook.com/merciany Mercia NY

I'm not too worried about those dudes. The 'n' and a completely different logo should be enough to differentiate the names.

Hemisaurus

I'd worry, why bother picking a name that could get you into problems, when you could just get a different one? Look at the Dust Bros. now the Chemical Bros, or Death From Above now DFA1979 or whatever. Why put effort into something that further down the line someone else can prove they did first?

Lumpy

Mercia isn't a very rock&roll sounding name worth fighting over anyway, IMO.

Is it some sorta fanged creature that rips it's victims apart? ???
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Mercian guys, not Mercia. Mercian is not taken.

Cursed71

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 12, 2012, 05:40:20 PM
From madison eh?  Come to Milwaukee we'll play a show with ya.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 12, 2012, 05:40:20 PM
Still think you might as well go 'Merican, you are 'Merican after all, playing on 'Merican amps with 'Merican guitars, you guys are 'Merican, no matter how much you might not want to be, just call the band Candada after the disease and see how many people call you Canada ;D (yeah I know it's Candida)

liquidsmoke

My amp is 'Merican, my guitar is Korean, we are Mercians now officially, is it done. Let the shit storm begin. :D

bbottom

Merican sounds like a really bad name for a cover band.

BrianDamage

"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

themusketking

Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, if I cared enough, I'd start a cover band called 'Merican, we'd go down real big round here. Open every set with Freebird, then Sweet Home, American Band, Copperhead Road, you get the picture.

The one problem of course being then I'd have to listen to Freebird, Sweet Home, and I don't want to ;D

liquidsmoke

I suspect that such a band would also do quite well in rural WI. Small town folks here still DANCE to classic rock cover bands. I've seen it.