Main Menu

LP tuners

Started by bass sic, April 19, 2012, 09:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

What would be a good replacement locking tuner for a studio? Hopefully something that would be a direct replacement not requiring drilling.

The Shocker

You looked at GFS?  I've bought tuners from there a bunch of times.  Nice quality, nice price.

clockwork green

Why do you want locking tuners? Do you break that many strings that you need to change them that much faster? If you use really large strings they may not fit plus they don't offer any tuning benefits like many people think.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

I love when someone asks for something specific, there's always someone ready to argue with them, god love the internet ;D

Oh yeah, skull tuners aren't locking, they just look cool (and are $15 a set) ;D

bass sic

No real need for locking ones, I just want to replace the crappy ones I have now. There's too much slop and it's a pain in my ass to tune. The skulls are fookin bad ass. I'll check with GFS also.

bass sic

Ya know, GFS is like Walmart. As in every time I ask about guitar parts I'm referred there. They have it all. I need to decide on either fat pat or crunchy pat pickups and get the tuners and pickups in one shot.

clockwork green

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 19, 2012, 10:42:17 PM
I love when someone asks for something specific, there's always someone ready to argue with them, god love the internet ;D

Oh yeah, skull tuners aren't locking, they just look cool (and are $15 a set) ;D
That's a pretty low threshold for an argument.

As for the tuners I've seen tons of posts over the years where people are asking about which locking tuners to get because they go out of tune too much and about a dozen years ago I was one of those people. It took me awhile to figure out that unless you're playing a crappy import pre-1975 your tuners to ably aren't knocking you out of tune...it's usually the nut. I also found that most locking tuners don't allow you to use large strings because the locking mechanism gets in the way. They're really only good for fast string changes. A well set up guitar and a well cut and clean but will keep you in tune about as well as anyone could hope for.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Volume

Quote from: clockwork green on April 20, 2012, 02:44:45 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 19, 2012, 10:42:17 PM

That's a pretty low threshold for an argument.

As for the tuners I've seen tons of posts over the years where people are asking about which locking tuners to get because they go out of tune too much and about a dozen years ago I was one of those people. It took me awhile to figure out that unless you're playing a crappy import pre-1975 your tuners to ably aren't knocking you out of tune...it's usually the nut. I also found that most locking tuners don't allow you to use large strings because the locking mechanism gets in the way. They're really only good for fast string changes. A well set up guitar and a well cut and clean but will keep you in tune about as well as anyone could hope for.

I love the locking tuners on my reverend and I wish all my guitars had em. Not that I've ever had tuning problems, but I do break a string every now and then and it's sooo much faster and easier to change strings with locking tuners. I don't use that thick strings so I don't know the size of the hole, but .52s fit just fine.

The Shocker

I wish all guitars came with the Fender style slotted heads.  Love those, neat and easy. 

bass sic

It's not so much my strings ate getting out of tune, it's when I'm tuning there is a ton of slop. Alot of neutral in the tuner before it actually winds the string.

Baltar

Grovers or Schallers.  My Grovers lasted over the 17 years I had my Studio, and are probably still going strong.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

rayinreverse

Good quality timers with a nice ratio will get rid of the slop you speak of. I have a gfs set on my LP and they have performed great. My guitar took a fall and the D string tuner got a little bent but still works like a champ.

Not playing your guitar like a jackhammer will help prevent breakage.

RAGER

I had these Sperzel type knockoffs that worked very well on a Studio I had.  Loved those.
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

I upgraded the stock Kluson-style tuners on my LP Studio with gold Grovers to match the hardware.

Stays in tune, I don't worry about breaking a tuning key, and my LP looks like it has a full set of gold teeth \m/,
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Metal and Beer

You sure you're winding the string properly on the post? Stock LP tuners aren't known for a lot of slop in the gear (I forgot if you got a new Studio or used or whatev?)...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Danny G on April 20, 2012, 01:47:45 PM
I upgraded the stock Kluson-style tuners on my LP Studio with gold Grovers to match the hardware.

Stays in tune, I don't worry about breaking a tuning key, and my LP looks like it has a full set of gold teeth \m/,
Oh yeah they have the skulls in gold too ;D

Discö Rice

I didn't really like the chrome or black skulls, but the gold ain't bad. Still a little on the hokey side, but much better.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

bass sic

Silly me. After close inspection of the "stock" tuners it appears they are in fact Grover's. I wonder if theyre worn out, it's a 93. I get about an eighth turn before the peg starts to move. Fuck it anyway, I'll just get used to it.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 20, 2012, 02:35:05 PM
I didn't really like the chrome or black skulls, but the gold ain't bad. Still a little on the hokey side, but much better.
Weird I didn't post the gold cause I thought it was too tacky ;D

I am in no way recommending these, except that they look like they fit an LP, and they're $15, and I thought they looked cool. Possibly they are also crap.

Is it possible to open up a sealed tuner and just tighten up things like it is on an open gear, or are they really sealed ???

bass sic

Kinda looks like its all pressed and shit. Sealed housing. I could be wrong, shit I didn't even know what they were.

VOLVO)))

Seriously, if anyone buys those skull tuners, I'm going to punch them in the nuts.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

I've already started drilling extra holes in the headstock of my Jetstar, just so I can fit more tuners on it. More skulls is better than less skulls. Duh.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 20, 2012, 07:48:32 PM
Seriously, if anyone buys those skull tuners, I'm going to punch them in the nuts.
You're little girl fists aren't big enough, mate ;)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 20, 2012, 08:02:57 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on April 20, 2012, 07:48:32 PM
You're little girl fists aren't big enough, mate ;)

YOUR****
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.