Are new gibson guitars any good?

Started by franksnbeans, April 26, 2012, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Insecurity? Perhaps. Or maybe just because they really like certain guitars. I'm not going to fault someone for choosing to drive a '66 GTO instead of whatever Consumer Reports says is the most cost efficient mode of personal transportation.

Why? Because GTOs are badass. It's hard to quantify why I think that. I don't think it's insecurity. I just like them.

And some people feel the same way about guitars.

/threadjack
poop.

hayseed

This argument has been on my mind for a while now.
I personally hate PLAYING Les Pauls, Gibson or Epiphone. I love the looks of them however and sometimes wish that I did like them because the look so badass and sound great. I do however love myself the SG. I own an Epiphone Worn brown SG. Its about 5 years old now and has played every show I have done in that time period, every practice, and every recording. I think this guitar is like an extension of my soul. I will never sell it, trade it, burn it, or give it away. All other guitars that i have bought since have yet to compare (although my blacktop Tele is getting close).

I have always wanted a Gibson SG and have been looking for a decently priced one. I have yet to find one even close to a good price , new or used. With all of the talk of Gibson putting out shitty instruments I dont know that I would pay the money for a new one even if i had it. I still look but I never go by the looks alone anymore( a mistake i have made WAY too many times). I think that Gibson probably still makes good instruments but its a matter of trial and error, meaning you gotta play the shit outta one BEFORE you buy it.

That said, why settle for the hot chic's frumpy friend that cooks better, screws more and will support you when you can have the hot chic and brag to your buddies!

Quote from: bitter on April 26, 2012, 05:53:51 PM
Quote from: Jake on April 26, 2012, 05:50:04 PM
There's something about a Les Paul that scratches an itch other guitars cannot.

I suspect it's growing up and having your musical landscape shaped by people like Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, Duane Allman, Steve Jones, Slash, etc., etc. with a Les Paul.
^^^ I agree 100%! Its like having a Marshall full stack which is every kids dream who looked up to those kind of players....well at least it was my dream. Buying myself a Les Paul was up there too until I discovered how uncomfortable it was to play!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

And mani interesting furry animals

RacerX

QuoteAccording to the rest of this thread Gibson isn't built better, doesn't sound better, and doesn't play better than the $200 guitar.

Did you read this thread? Because I don't see where that's in it.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Including the majestic moose

Discö Rice

I guess it just depends what's more important - the fact that the headstock says Gibson or the actual functionality of the instrument, and to that point I'd add that if the Gibson logo makes you more likely to pick it up and play the shit out of it, that's the instrument for you.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

A moose once bit my sister...

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 26, 2012, 08:03:41 PM
Quote from: RacerX on April 26, 2012, 08:01:05 PM
QuoteAccording to the rest of this thread Gibson isn't built better, doesn't sound better, and doesn't play better than the $200 guitar.

So search around you might find a good one? Same can be said for a Squier, Teisco or Rogue, havent seen one of them go for $2000 yet.

Herb, a Teisco Spectrum 5 goes for $2,400-$5,000. You're also a hell of a lot more likely to find a nice Gibson than you are a usable Rogue.

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 26, 2012, 08:03:41 PM
Quote from: RacerX on April 26, 2012, 08:01:05 PM

So search around you might find a good one? Same can be said for a Squier, Teisco or Rogue, havent seen one of them go for $2000 yet.

I didn't type that, either.

I'm just pointing out that your claim that the rest of the thread makes certain claims appears to be FALSE.

*shrugs*

I play used guitars.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist","Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...

RacerX

Now you're changing your claim. Whatever, dude.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Discö Rice

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 26, 2012, 08:04:38 PM
the fact that the headstock says Gibson or the actual functionality of the instrument, and to that point I'd add that if the Gibson logo makes you more likely to pick it up and play the shit out of it, that's the instrument for you.

Only works if the headstock is attached. Not strong point for Gibsons.

Hemisaurus

Yeah sorry, it's my DIY ethic, makes me yell at people spending stupid money.

I remember two rigs, from all the bands I've worked with. One was a guy using an old beat to shit Vox head, and a 4x12 with no grille cloth, so he put those round meshes over each driver, then painted the whole rig camo. The othe was a guitarist playing a solid state Ampeg B rackmount bass amp, through a Behringer 4x12 and a no name 4x12. These were both guys that made their gear work for them.

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 26, 2012, 08:27:04 PM
Quote from: RacerX on April 26, 2012, 08:23:30 PM
Now you're changing your claim. Whatever, dude.
I'm afraid you'll have to explain that to me, dude.

Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

40 SPECIALLY TRAINED ECUADORAN MOUNTAIN LLAMAS
6 VENEZUELAN RED LLAMAS
142 MEXICAN WHOOPING LLAMAS
14 NORTH CHILEAN GUANACOS (CLOSELY RELATED TO THE LLAMA)
REG LLAMA OF BRIXTON
76000 BATTERY LLAMAS FROM "LLAMA-FRESH" FARMS LTD. NEAR PARAGUAY

VOLVO)))

So, Im an idiot for buying my Model T, instead of modding a bassman? Or the Sonaro instead of modding a Dynaco stereo?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 26, 2012, 08:40:59 PM
So, Im an idiot for buying my Model T, instead of modding a bassman? Or the Sonaro instead of modding a Dynaco stereo?

Nah, you're an idiot for a lot more than that ;D

Was the T better than a bassman, and did you pay $2000 for it?

VOLVO)))

I love it and paid a bundle for it.

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

I want to put an Apple™ sticker on my Gibson™.

Should I be ascared aboot ruining the finish?
What Would Scooby Do ?

I,Galactus

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 26, 2012, 08:28:00 PMYou bitches is curmudgeonly.

Fixed

OT:

The cost cutter on my Gibby LP Studio Vintage Mahogany (bought new circa '07) is wiring.  Pickup switch is shorting out.  Too lazy / ig'nant to fix.  Possibly due to a PCB harness, IDK as I've never even opened 'er up to see.

I bought it because I played it and really liked it, and I still really do.  It doesn't have a maple cap, so it's lighter weight and sounds different than other traditional LP's.  It has a finish that may qualify as the "shitty" faded type but I don't give two shits because I like it.

Try it, like it?, buy it.  Regardless of make or model.  Interested in LPs?  Try a couple.  Avoid online purchases, unless you can return it and try another / get a refund if you don't like. 

/$0.02 given
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Mr. Foxen

Can't compare amps and guitars so easily, amps are complicated to make, electric guitars are crude as fuck planks. Nothing in one that is especially hard to make, hence cheap guitars being pretty much the same as expensive ones. Even Dunwich has to buy in transformers and shiz, and they cost more than you can pick up whole reasonable name amps for s/h.

Oh yeah, and pickup selector switches are always shitty, and its hard to do anything about it. I've seen some gold plated ones that don't glitch when you switch, but dunno if it will last.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 26, 2012, 08:53:31 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on April 26, 2012, 08:28:00 PMYou bitches is curmudgeonly.
Totally own up to that, in fact it used to be my sig, 'til I went all hi-tech ;)

Switches aren't too expensive, and those leaf style ones do break a fair bit, don't be scared to get it fixed.

bitter

This thread delivers! I love it when y'alls jam room cycles sync up.   ;) :-*

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan