Holy fuck. 6x kt88 Marshall...

Started by mutantcolors, May 04, 2012, 01:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

i have never heard of it, so for now I am dubious

SoupKitchen

Yeah, it's f'real. Marshall made them in 1981 according to the Doyle book. They were expensive (twice the cost of a 100W head) and they weren't that popular, so they only made like 100 units or so. I think it's kind of weird that he's only running four power tubes. Probably for cost more than anything, what's the point of attenuating down to 200ish watts? I don't have a good feeling about the mods, though. The bass equivalent ran 8xKT88, so for you loud clean pedal amp fans, that's the one to find.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SoupKitchen on May 04, 2012, 11:22:59 AM
The bass equivalent ran 8xKT88, so for you loud clean pedal amp fans, that's the one to find.
Only if it comes with a forklift.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

dunwichamps

since its hacked up i wouldnt bother with it

Discö Rice

If I was going to spend that much money on an amp I'd just have it made to spec by someone like Dunny, here, so I know it hasn't been all hacked up and abused in the 30+ years it was around before it got to me.

SoupKitchen

Quote from: Discö Rice on May 04, 2012, 11:43:28 AM
If I was going to spend that much money on an amp I'd just have it made to spec by someone like Dunny, here, so I know it hasn't been all hacked up and abused in the 30+ years it was around before it got to me.

Amen.

Baltar

^^^+1!  Man, if I won a bunch of $$$, I would definitely buy at least 2 Dunnies.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

thanks for the love guys, also i dig the short hand of my name

VOLVO)))

Yeah, I'd buy a couple of amps from Nick, haha...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: SoupKitchen on May 04, 2012, 11:22:59 AM
The bass equivalent ran 8xKT88, so for you loud clean pedal amp fans, that's the one to find.

A mate is selling the bass one, not the VBA400, the one with brutally large iron.

mutantcolors

I don't want the thing, I was just browsing the bay looking for random JCM 800 info.

I guess I could just ask y'all. Please chime in on this deal:

http://pullman.craigslist.org/msg/2992302958.html

VOLVO)))

Yep, yep, yep. I'd hit it in a heartbeat.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

mutantcolors

Seller responded, it's a 2204 which we all kinda knew, but he didn't know that until I made him go look which makes me wonder if he'd even know. Then again he's owned it since '93 so either he had it done himself, or probs not ever eh.

mutantcolors

Serial indicates it's a 1982. Real fucking deal. How do I feel about that mod though?

VOLVO)))

Get it, if it sounds good, it is good.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

if its not hacked up heavy then its easy to undo the shit so long as no one drilled out holes in it, that is fuckin annoying

VOLVO)))

It's probably modded like Doug Aldritch has his shit modded. There's obviously a hole drilled for the extra knob.

Just go play it, if it sounds like shit, tell 'em to piss off and leave.

If it sounds good, pay the man. Make sure to work the fuck out of that mod knob, and make sure it's usable all over.

EDIT:He adds an extra gain tube and an effects loop along with all the stock marshall features. Mike Morin has a really good reputation, as do his mods.

^^^^^ pushin' Soldano type gain^^^^^^ buy buy buy

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

I'll probably go dime her out tomorrow with my 'bird in hand.

No dime? No deal hahaha.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Quote from: Baltar on May 04, 2012, 12:34:27 PM
^^^+1!  Man, if I won a bunch of $$$, I would definitely buy at least 2 Dunnies.

I'm thinking he should offer us stoners a 50% discount. Ya know? Just saying.

Discö Rice

I don't think he "should" offer anyone a discount. People want what he's building and are willing to pay for it. Buy one of the mass produced amps he's cloning if you can't afford a boutique amp. Nothing shameful about that. Might not be hand wired, or have your name embossed on the knobs, or input jacks made of Tasmanian wolf vaginas and freeze-dried unicorn tears, but as long as it works, music will happen.

bass sic

Guess my joke was too vague for some.

Discö Rice

More than anything, I just wanted to type out "made of Tasmanian wolf vaginas". Don't mind me. It's been a long day.