Old DOS Games

Started by Beerjerk, May 06, 2012, 11:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerjerk

I downloaded the DOSBox emulator the other day and downloaded some oldschool DOS game roms.

So far I've been playing:

The Immortal
Prince of Persia
Wasteland

Any other classic DOS games I should look into?

sleestak

Barbarian, thexder, janitor joe, monkey island 1,2,3 that or any old lucasarts adventure game.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

juggernaut

socket

I share a lot of memories with Sleestak as we fought over the computer as kids but here are some of the ones I have loaded up in my DOSBox front end.

• 4-D Boxing
  • Beast
  • Digger
  • Dr. Sleeptite
  • Epic Pinball
  • Extreme Pinball
  • Flightmare
  • Ninja
  • Pango
  • Pit Stop 2
  • Popcorn
  • Raptor
  • Shamus
  • Silverball
  • Sopwith
  • The incredible Machine
  • Worms
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

doomborn

monkey island 1,2,3, indiana jones & the fate of atlantis, simon the sorcerer, discworld, full throttle, flashback, broken sword...

I,Galactus

Quote from: socket on May 11, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
    • The incredible Machine
    • Worms

Hell yes.  Lemmings and PITFALL, too.
    "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

gritty_fingers

Just curious....How do you play old DOS games on a Windows computer nowadays? Is there an emulator you can download?

I wouldn't mind firing up some old school Lode Runner...
    "Ginger People"

I,Galactus

Quote from: gritty_fingers on August 30, 2012, 01:26:48 AM
    Just curious....How do you play old DOS games on a Windows computer nowadays? Is there an emulator you can download?

I wouldn't mind firing up some old school Lode Runner...
    Quote from: Beerjerk on May 06, 2012, 11:10:41 PM
    DOSBox
    Quote from: socket on May 11, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
    DOSBox

Also check out http://www.scummvm.org/ for running old sierra / lucasarts adventure games (mokey island, kings quest, etc).
    "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

gritty_fingers

"Ginger People"

ez

Maniac Mansion
    Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle
    Sam & Max Hit the Road
    Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

sleestak

There's a redone free version of maniac mansion out there with redone artwork and graphics.  Check it out.

gritty_fingers

I was reading an article about playing old dos games on an Android device. Anyone have any experience with this?

EDIT:

Here is the app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locnet.dosbox&hl=en
    "Ginger People"

I,Galactus

Quote from: gritty_fingers on November 22, 2012, 09:46:59 PM
    I was reading an article about playing old dos games on an Android device. Anyone have any experience with this?

EDIT:

Here is the app

So that gets you the OS, where do you get the games?

gritty_fingers

Quote from: I,Galactus on November 24, 2012, 09:18:00 PM
    Quote from: gritty_fingers on November 22, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

EDIT:

Here is the app

So that gets you the OS, where do you get the games?

I think you have to have the games already; Somehow there is a way to transfer the games to an Android device. I read that it works for point-and-click games but there is no mention if it works for anything else.

I am getting a new Android phone next month so I will look into this some more later..
    "Ginger People"

socket

Just got my first android phone... gonna check this shit out!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OGSpacetrucker

nightmare 3d if ya like doom2 very hard game

socket

This Nightmare 3-d game looks pretty awesome. I'd never heard of it.

SpaceTrucker

it's just a doom clone with witches and and frankenstien and skeletons and shit, really hard, I don't remember it being has hard as it was when I played it again.

The music is funeral music btw.

Also megaman x or space empires 2 and jurassic park(try and get the super nintendo version, its top down and first person doom style indoors.(awesome game, but very hard also)

Josh

Cinemaware had some great titles back in the day. This one was way ahead of its time for a sports game. You could customize the teams, adjust player attributes, ect. It had cool game introductions by an animated sports host. My favorite part was there were about 5 kinds of savage dunks a player would throw down. I had it on PC, but it was available for Amiga and even TurboGraphx 16.   

socket

LucasArts SCUMM adventure games FTW. Also all the weird ass shareware shit we'd get from this badass store Computer Bug that sold shareware and like "free" games for $1-2 a 5-1/4" disk. Barely any profit surely and an AWESOME service! We found tons of games there as little kids. Thanks, dad! Eventually got into dial up BBSes and found shit like Doom and Quake shareware but the early disk days were awesome.

sleestak

Flightmare.  Sopwith 2, zork, wishbringer.

My dad bought us a leading edge brand ibm clone instead of a gaming console.  It had two disk drives (5.25) and 4 megs of ram and I think the following year for Christmas we got 4 more megs for a whopping 8 megs.  Steep curve as kids but we learned it and changed our course for sure.   

renfield

Y'all fuck with Commander Keen?

socket

Yes commander keen shareware at least in 4 color CGA with pc speaker sound. Was an awesome game. Also, our computer had ONE meg of ram and our one Christmas was a 4mb upgrade to 5 total.

renfield

My mom wrote a "games.bat" script that printed a menu of all the games, numbered, and then we typed "1" and it launched eg Prince of Persia or "2" for Commander Keen.

Such was my privileged upbringing...