Main Menu

Pickup recommendation

Started by OUTLANDAH, May 09, 2012, 10:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUTLANDAH

So I'm wanting to load my Dot archtop with something better than the stocks. So far I've been cruising the GFS site. I play mainly in C tuning, so I'm looking or something that will mesh well with that. Also, wouldn't mind something that made it sound more vintage and brighter. It's kind of a toss up...

kirky

Jake

poop.

mutantcolors

Quote from: kirky on May 10, 2012, 12:17:01 AM
gfs mean 90's
Some day, someone will listen to us.

oh hey, here's me playing mean 90s in C std.

http://psychedelicsexorgan.bandcamp.com/

rayinreverse

i played mean 90's in my LP for awhile. They sounded pretty good, but honestly I was never super happy with them.They seemed to lack a little punch. They snarled for sure, but they dont have humbucker uuummpphh.
i went with the gfs fat pats and have been pretty happy. thinking about going to super distortions though.

Baltar

I have the GFS '59 and Dream 180 in my Eastwood SG.  I had Dimarzio Super 2's in my Les Paul before I sold it, and they were bright, but too hot for my Muff and MKII.  So I'll always lean towards cleaner pups and amps.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

mutantcolors

I got an '80s Super D I'd sell ya. Gotta glance around the bay, see what they're going for. I'm guessing people are paying around $70 for one.

Hemisaurus

Anyone notice the fact he's playing an archtop?

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on May 10, 2012, 12:56:14 AM
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Nashville-Vintage-Filtertron-Style-Humbucker-Chrome_c_100.html

Nashville Vintage Filterton Style Humbucker

If that sounds close to the real McCoy, +1 on that recommendo. Perfect for a semi hollow or hollow body, vintage voiced, pretty bright.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 10, 2012, 04:18:40 PM
Anyone notice the fact he's playing an archtop?

You mean as in a semi-hollow archtop? I did.

I have some GFS pups in guitars (Dream 90s, 180s) and would hesitate to recommend them for a semi-hollow. Might be a bit noisy. Then again, I pulled my earlier recommendation out of my ass.
poop.

mutantcolors

guess I should specify that my last post was in response to rayinreverse's expressed interest in a Super D

The Riffer

Without knowing  how deep your pockets are...

My Choice would be:
http://motorcitypickups.com/products/blackbelt.htm

or

http://motorcitypickups.com/products/detroiter.htm

I have both,AWESOMEAWESOME pickups. I've tried tons in the last 20 years, and these are my favorites. HE also makes some hotter stuff, but I have these, and I am certain they will sound fuckin sick in a semi.
I have these in an SG btw..For the more doomer set, the Afwayu is badass too.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Instant Dan

Gibson P94s or 57 classics

GFS Dream/Mean 90 combo

GFS Professional Series HB

OUTLANDAH

Hrm, What do the mean 90's offer apart from regular 90. Also yea, gibson 59's haha I've been wanting those for a while.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

clockwork green

In my Gibson ES-137 (looks like a 175 but is a semi-hollow and more similar sonically to a 335) I tried a number of different humbuckers and P90's.  Acoustically my 137 was very resonate and that added a deep, dark rich tone which plugged in even with P90's.  I talked to Jason Lollar and he recommended under wound, low output pickups and he was dead on.  One of the cool things was that the lower output pickups sound great when into an overdriven amp or when used with fuzzes and overdrives.  They actually play nicer with fuzz pedals than high output pickups so the overall effect can be better high gain tones than with high output pickups.  I'd look for something in the lower output PAF's. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Less windings = less output = broader frequency response

broad generalisation.

clockwork green

Lower output pickups are less focused on the mid's so they do have a bit cleaner sound.

bitter

I also find that lower/moderate output plays nicely with fuzz and OD. They seem more dynamic as they aren't squishing the signal with unnecessary compression.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

OUTLANDAH

Alright, So what are some low output pickup in the market?

OUTLANDAH

Also, do low output pickups mix well with more high gain amps Cough*(sovtek mig 100)

clockwork green

Has your Sovtek been modified to be high gain? Even their "H" models were medium gain at best.  Low output pickups work just fine with higher gain amps in fact I think they often sound much better with really high gain amps than you're typical EMG or other high output pickup.  When people place orders for the Toneczar Openhaus (their high gain pedal), Ed makes sure that you're using vintage to modertae output pickups for the best results.  The only issue with some lower output is that they might not be wax potted so they'll be prone to feedback but that depends on the specific pickup you get.  That lack of potting adds sensitivity and dynamics so many vintage minded folks actually prefer unpotted. 

ryansummit

i bought this samick greg bennett tr2 about a month ago
and im lovin it, definite upgrade from the teisco i was playin
it came with DUNCAN DESIGNS pickups that, to my almost deaf ears, sound pretty good
i came across these bareknuckle nailbombs and found myself wanting pickups
i was wondering, as far as things you would spend your cash on,
how high or low on the list is upgrading pickups

http://www.guitarasylum.com/ebaynew/bkp/bkp-nailbomb-gold-nailbomb-02.jpg

everdrone

I have seymour duncan c5bridge/PGneck that are coil splitting, I think it is killer versatility since I do like the single coil sound some in my SG standard for fuzz pedal

OUTLANDAH

Hey! I was just about to dig this back up. I need some more recommendations on low output pickups. And what's the difference between unpotted and potted?