Main Menu

Harmonica

Started by RacerX, May 23, 2012, 12:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Wanna get into it.

Facts, wisdom, tips, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Whatever ya got, spill it. Probably gonna pick up a Hohner Special 20 in "B" to start so I can blow it with my open "E" tuned guitar.

4 semitones down = right key for blowing the blooze, that much, I understand.

Go!
Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

Harmonica is the wah pedal for singers...it's a trap!
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bitter

I heard a story at a local shop about a homeless guy who walked in and asked to try out a couple different harmonicas. They told him no and he said, "They'd let me try one if this was guitar center"! They told him, "Then go to guitar center" :D
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

I tried playing it casually for about a year, many years ago. It's easy to get started and be able to play a little bit, but it's hard to be really good. Like anything else I guess. Obviously, practice all the fucking time is the #1 tip. Look on YouTube for instructional videos. It's all about being able to manipulate your mouth, quickly. I can barely talk, so I didn't have much potential.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

spookstrickland

I tried years ago too.  I never got the hang of it.  I had a damn chromatic one which is super hard for a beginner to make decent sound with.  I hope you pick it up and master it though.  I love the sound of a good harmonica.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

MichaelZodiac

If you want some good harmonica I suggest you check out Toots Thielemans, a fellow Belgian who really knows how to play it. He's 90 now and still going strong. Probably next to Django Reinhardt and Philippe Catherine our most well known musician. He has played with Miles Davis, Quincy Jones, Jaco Pastorius and the like. I grew up with his stuff, I've had several harmonicas when I was a kid but besides the obvious tones I wasn't very good at it.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

Thee first instrument I ever played. 1976.  My sisters boyfriend played "blues harp" and I of course worshiped him so he gave me a couple and some pointers.  I still pick one up from time to time.  I actually play mine upside down.  Always have.  
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

at first i was looking for something funny, but this turned out cool. i love the bass they get .

there are awesome players for everything i guess heh wow.

Czernobog

Do not start with chromatic harmonica.  Start simple and learn the different notes from blowing in and out in one key of harmonica.  Then learn to change the sound and pitch of the notes with your mouth tongue and hands.  Then learn songs and other key harmonicas.
Toynbee Idea
In Kubricks 2001
Resurrect Dead
On Planet Jupiter

RacerX

Thanks, all!

Yeah, I have no delusions of starting on a chromatic harp. To start, I'm gonna pick up a Hohner Special 20 as noted above.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Chromatic harmonicas are harder to bend notes on. And that little half-step thing they do, you don't really need.

I,Galactus

I got a Hohner Blues Harp MS sittin' around somewheres.  I like the idea of the MS (modular system) because you can swap out different reeds.

That being said, I can't play it for shit but wish I could.   :-\
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Lumpy

A safari-looking vest with lots of pockets, that's the secret. ;)