Early Whitesnake. Any other lovers of thid here?

Started by MR. CREEPER, January 23, 2011, 03:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. CREEPER

Don't get me wrong, 'cause I have always loved Sykes playing, but the early incarnation of this band with Moody/Marsden just smoked when it came to that dirty, bluesy, hard rock of the 70's. What say you? Any other lovers here? Trouble, Lovehunter, etc. are supreme rock albums in my humble opinion.

goldwater

early whitesnake, with coverdale singing "bluesy", definately beats out the hair band sound. his voice is'nt made for screaming. compare ain't no love in the heart of the city to still of the night. both are great songs, but you can see that he's more comfortable with the blues. great singer.used to have all the early whitesnake. wish i still did. and in my opinion he and glenn hughes helped make burn the greatest deep purple album.
we all lost in 64

EddieMullet

Ready An Willing is a favorite of mine, it's damn near a Deep Purple album with Jon Lord and Ian Paice also playing on it.   

GodShifter

Just listened to some of Live in the Heart of the City a few weeks back and it has not aged well. Need to revisit the older stuff as it's been a long time.

MR. CREEPER

I gotta say, I love Live In the Heart of the City. I prefer to hear the full bore Amps in the live setting. I think the tones are amazing.

EddieMullet

I don't like the shortened single disc version of Live in the Heart of the City Geffen did for U.S. release, but the UK version is sweet I think they may have been mixed differently because they sound different to me. It is worth tracking down.

Track list for UK version
1. Come On
2. Sweet Talker
3. Walking in the Shadow of the Blues
4. Love Hunter
5. Fool for Your Loving
6. Ain't Gonna Cry No More
7. Ready 'an Willing
8. Take Me With You
9. Might Just Take Your Life
10. Lie Down
11. Ain't no Love in the Heart of the City
12 Trouble
13. Mistreated

MR. CREEPER

Been spinnin' Saints and Sinners and Come and get it lately in my rotation. Too bad DC shifted things so fast. This stuff has some great Hard rockin' moments.

neighbor664

MR. CREEPER

Yeah. there's a special magic to all the early stuff up until the '87 album(Whitesnake) when the corporate, hair metal cookie-cutter monster took a grip. the only issue I've ever had is the mix on some of the earlier stuff. Mick Moody's tone should've taken more of an upfront spot in the mix, and the same when Sykes came on for Slide it in.

Isabellacat

Quote from: neighbor664 on February 20, 2011, 02:22:17 AM
Better the first time around?

lol uhhh,i hate to say but that sucks.Coverdale looks/sounds so much like Robert Plant in that video too. much prefer the 1987 version of that song.

was that Jon Lord in that vid tho???

GodShifter

Yeah, that's the Mel Galley, Micky Moody, Colin Hodgkinson, Lord, and Cozy Powell line-up.

MR. CREEPER

As much as I love Cozy he doesn't fit the playing needed for the Snake. But, Paicey and Duck Dowell fot with that groove needed.

Isabellacat

don't get me wrong,i like some early Whitesnake but i really think the 1987 line-up was the best.

1987 Personnel

* David Coverdale – lead vocals
    * John Sykes – guitars, backing vocals
    * Neil Murray – bass
    * Aynsley Dunbar – drums, percussion

Special guests

* Don Airey – keyboards
    * Bill Cuomo – keyboards
    * Adrian Vandenberg – guitar solo on "Here I Go Again '87"
    * Dann Huff - guitar on "Here I Go Again '87 (Radio Mix)"
    * Denny Carmassi - drums on "Here I Go Again '87 (Radio Mix)"[2]
    * Vivian Campbell - guitar solo on "Give Me All Your Love ('88 Mix)"

i mean come on, Aynsley Dunbar was their best drummer and John Sykes played the songs wayyy better. people think that album is played out and silly but i think it's their best. and Don Airey on keyboards!?  :o  Cozy Powell was an awesome drummer but I think Aynsley is way better. reasons why i love the first Journey record too.

GodShifter

I think that's a great line-up for the 87 recording myself. Is it their best line-up? Probably on paper, yes. But the early band with Moody, Marsden, Lord, Murray, and Paice was probably a far more cohesive unit.

Dunbar is a favorite of mine too but I don't think he's the best drummer Whitesnake ever had. Ian Paice gets that title. Powell was really good and probably, technically, better than Dunbar. But, as I said, I love those first Journey records too and Dunbar's playing has a lot to do with why I like them so much.

MR. CREEPER

I think Dunbars playing on the first Journey records is fantastic. In the same respect Duck Dowell on the first Whitesnake record is magic.

GodShifter

Who is "Duck Dowell"? I assume you mean David Dowle? Yeah, you do, okay.

I never thought he was that great to be honest. BUT - I did see him play live with Midnight Flyer back in the early 80's opening for AC/DC and they were an alright combo.

Woody

I have been meaning to check out the early Whitesnake tapes for years now. It's time for me to finally get on the stick and pick up some of them. A friend of mine played me the live version of "Mistreated" and it sounded kinda like Bad Company doing it. Think I'll stick with the studio ones to start with.

EddieMullet

Start with Ready 'an Willing, if you don't like that one you probably won't need to dig any further.

I like 'em all (the pre-Slide it in ones that is)though I'm partial to the ones with Jon Lord and Ian Paice on them

Doommantia

I followed Coverdale from the first solo album but when they released Ready 'an Willing, they lost me. Never liked anything after that.

MR. CREEPER

I will say I prefer the original Whitesnake material thru till "87 the best but I cam listen to all of ti really. And, the early stuff rocks major ass up thru till the '87 album.

Woody

There's a huge box set coming out in the UK of all their early tapes with a ton of extra shit. I'd love to check that out.

vinyldinosaurus

The best Whitesnake album is Come Taste The Band by Deep Purple...

GodShifter