Whitehorse, Batillus, Unearthly Trance, Brooklyn 6/12

Started by Lumpy, June 13, 2012, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Missed opening band Skullshitter, somebody told me they are a Grind band.

Unearthly Trance seemed like they haven't lost a step since their hiatus. They seemed loose, their version of "In The Red" sounded like they've been listening to free music... more 'jammy' in the center section, which is different for them (they are usually tightly formatted). But maybe that song is just a little under-rehearsed? I liked it (the free flowing sections) it made for good contrast with the parts that are more regimented. They played a song that sounded like punk rock (fast pounder) that ended with a slow crushing finale. (New song?) They looked like they were in good spirits, like no pressure. Good sign, I've seen them play when they looked to be wound up pretty tight before. Mix was a little weird for them, like drums were miked but mikes weren't on? Vocals not loud enough, and on one song the vocal mic wasn't even on. Whatever, they might be my favorite hometown metal band. They get so many things right.

Batillus - I was sort of not expecting too much, maybe because seeing them probably 4 times in the last year - a lot for me - (and listening to their album) I felt sorta "been there already" but they surprised with a bunch of new material (I think every song was newer except one?) and they are undeniably running on all cylinders. New material was all high quality with typical smart and creative arrangements (when's the last time you heard a quiet guitar solo at a doom metal show). Really felt the peaceville/gothic/funeral vibe with some melancholy passages that didn't hit you over the head (immediately followed by crushing passages that totally did). Plus a bit of a throwback to the Industrial metal scene with the sampler and noise elements (which might seem like a turnoff but it works... it just does.) I wouldn't say they are my favorite local band -- I like a little bit of wildness or slop, and their music is highly formatted or mannered, if you know what I mean... classy maybe?) but holy fuck they are good. They might be one of the best bands on the scene, especially if you are biased towards their style of metal.

Headliners Whitehorse (Sydney, Australia) bulldozed with the straightforward doom as expected. I would guess that these guys were into the punk scene (Discharge?) early on, as there is a sort of "severe" aesthetic and they don't waver from it. Actually they played a couple of uptempo songs, which I didn't expect. Whitehorse are stripped down, raw and brute-like in comparison with the previous bands (who get a lot of mileage out of complicated, almost progressive arrangements). They deliver the goods in a most basic way.

Not a huge turnout, but pretty decent for a Tuesday, and it was raining hard all night. 75-100 people? Unearthly Trance had the most eyeballs, people sort of trickled out gradually as the night went on. My first time at the Acheron since they remodeled it in the Spring, big improvement (wall removed on side of stage, so bar area is connected. Less claustrophobic, seems to sound better in there acoustically (although sound was not great for this show). More lights, more standing room. Additional bathroom. Thumbs up.

Great night!!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Additional Whitehorse tour dates (double check to confirm):

13.06.12 Providence, RI at Machines With Magnets with Batillus + more
14.06.12 Philadelphia, PA at Kung Fu Necktie with Batillus
15.06.12 Baltimore, MD at Golden West with Batillus + more
16.06.12 Richmond, VA at Strange Matter
17.06.12 Asheville, NC at The Get Down
18.06.12 Greensboro, NC at Karate Dungeon
19.06.12 Atlanta, GA at the 529 with Hot Graves + more
20.06.12 Tampa FL at Brass Mug with Hot Graves + more
21.06.12 Panama City, FL at C Level with Hot Graves, Coeur, Death Before Dying
22.06.12 New Orleans, LA at Siberia with Hot Graves
23.06.12 Austin, TX details TBC
24.06.12 Dallas, TX *
25.06.12 Tulsa, OK at Soundpony with Senior Fellows & Common Fears
26.06.12 Albuquerque, NM at 1810 Broadway with Appalachian Terror Unit, Drought, Contortionist
27.06.12 Phoenix, AZ at the Yucca Tap Room with Rituals + more
28.06.12 San Diego, CA at The Shakedown
29.06.12 Los Angeles, CA at The Joint with Pigeonwing + more
30.06.12 Oakland, CA at Oakland Metro Side Room
01.07.12 San Francisco, CA at The Elbo Room (matinee show) with Vastum, Laudanum + more
02.07.12 Arcata, CA TBC
03.07.12 Portland, OR at Plan B with Atriarch, The Body & Usnea
04.07.12 DAY OFF
05.07.12 Bellingham, WA at The Shakedown with The Body + more
06.07.12 Seattle, WA The High Line with The Body, Satya Sena and Golgothan Sunrise
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: Lumpy on June 13, 2012, 04:17:44 PM
I wouldn't say they are my favorite local band -- I like a little bit of wildness or slop, and their music is highly formatted or mannered, if you know what I mean... classy maybe?)

yep, that's my only reservation about them, too. dug 'em every time i've seen 'em, though.
let's dispense the unpleasantries