Main Menu

Any advice on record labels?

Started by franksnbeans, June 13, 2012, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

We've got a few offering release our first album on vinyl and cd.  Should we take the diy route?  What should we tell them we need?  What should we look out for?

Please give us advice.  Thanks in advance.

VOLVO)))

Get that vinyl, son. Print too few and become legends!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

dont drag your feet. get your material/artwork to the label asap. let them put out whatever they want, its their money. make sure you get your cut.
diy is the only way..

mawso

Well, depends on the deal right?

Assuming it's small labels, offering to put out just the one release, without locking you into anything down the track, it seems hard to go too far wrong with it.  Would you be on the hook for anything financially?  Is it a "we'll print X number of copies, and send you Y to sell at your shows, and keep the rest to do a promo mailout with and to sell ourselves" kind of deal?

I'm generally a big fan of other people putting money into something the band has done.  Once people have thrown some cash at something, even if it's not a lot, then they're way more motivated to make it work than people who have the best of wishes for you but no skin in the game.  I mean, the only way they can get their money back from it is to sell the damn thing, which means getting new people listening to the band.  Especially if you'll already have your existing covered with your own copies you're selling at shows.

Just a few musings.  ATEOTD there are a billiion different possible deals out there, some will be great and some will be awful.  You also will probably be interested with what contacts the label has, what success they've had getting press etc for their existing releases, whether or not they can get you onto better shows or tours (if that's something you're interested in), whether or not they seem like cool people you'd be happy to be dealing with, etc.

Dr.Zayus

Congrats that someone wants to put that out! If I remember right, the dude that put out our record pressed 500 and gave us 200 to sell. He didn't promote us very well, but hell, at least we got 200 free records to sell! I would definitely not nap on it, if someone is offering to press it on vinyl.

the diddler

Yeah- pressing vinyl is definitely not cheap and if someone is offering to pick up that tab- and assuming having a vinyl release is important to you- go for it; and get as many copies as they'll give you.  If you can, don't sign anything- or at least make sure you're not giving away rights to future use, other media, etc.

Oh- and get them to do a download card if possible.  As I remember, that was like a 100 extra bucks or something from the pressing plant. 

Semi-related:  I have a few boxes of a 10" split w/ Brothers of the Sonic Cloth (TAD) and Mico de Noche (pureshit) left if anyone wants one.  going cheap.

clockwork green

Record labels are essentially useless today except to a small number of people that buy whatever comes out on certain labels but if you don't want to or can't afford the vinyl cost then go for it. You're not going to make any money anyways so it might as well be someone else that loses all of the cost.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

franksnbeans

Thanks for the advice.  We're gonna go for it.  It is a good thing. 

These places will press vinyl and cd's.  They'll give us some to sell, and if we run out they'll give us more.  Plus, we'll still keep the rights to our music.  They seem pretty legitimate, and seem to promote the bands too. 

James1214

sounds like a killer deal. protecting your rights to the music is the most important thing when dealing with a label of any size. which band is it?
words

franksnbeans

clockwork green

I hope it doesn't sound fucked up but that's surprisingly good Ben...I look forward to hearing more.

neighbor664

That recording sounds really good. Great job!

VOLVO)))

Been listening to this since MDF!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

well, i'll be buying this from ya, ben. its fuckin killer.

many congratulations.
words

franksnbeans

Thanks dudes!  We'll should have tapes in about a month.  The records and cd's are gonna be a bit longer.

franksnbeans

Hey-should we get a lawyer to look at the contract?  Do you think any lawyer will do?

clockwork green

Is it worth the $250/hour or so? I doubt it. Take a look at it, you'll probably be able to figure it out and if not then consider a lawyer. Unless you're getting advances for touring, videos and dealing with licensing for TV, movies etc I wouldn't worry about it.

eyeprod

my buddies who just put out a record on holy mountain have only received a small check and the rest of the pay from here on out is in records. They do help them get pretty sweet gigs, tho, and the distribution seems to be very, very good.
CV - Slender Fungus

franksnbeans

Here's the label:  http://thepathlesstraveledrecords.com/

There's some pretty awesome metal bands on there.  We're all stoked!