Gotta change the volume pots on my SG Classic.

Started by Dr.Zayus, June 14, 2012, 12:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Zayus

Does it matter what kind I get? I know nothing about this, except how to solder.

Mr. Foxen

change because they have an issue, or you want a different sweep? Tried cleaning them first if they are just noisy when turning. Otherwise, check the values in there and get same (note taper style too) if you want them to act the same.

Dr.Zayus

One of the volume knobs, when I turn it all the way up...It makes the sound cut out. Yeah, I guess I should clean them first, but it doesn't seem like THAT kind of problem. So, there's no, like, high performance turbo overdrive pots I can put in?...Maybe a stupid question.

Mr. Foxen

Aside from how they feel, the only real difference is how true what they describe themselves as in terms of taper and value, is. Clumsy sentence, but basically in theory two pots of the exact same values should sound the same, in practice they might not. Cutting out on full could just be a chunk stuck in there.

fallen

I'm curious too. Seems like all volume pots that start having problems will either scratch or start cutting out when turned all the way up. Could be just worn out there because they spend 90% of their time in the full up position.

ogion

just put some new 500k pots in there and yer done there man. lookin at about $5 - $10 each.

moose23

For 5-10 dollars you can get CTS Premiums. They do feel nice but not sure I'd bother spending the extra.

eyeprod

I would get something better than radio shack quality, but I think 500k is what you want. Hopefully you'll find something that's really smooth and easy to turn. I usually buy pedal parts from small bear, and they seem to have nice pots. Though I did have a two separate failures on a particular 10k pot that I got from them.
CV - Slender Fungus