Black Sabbath California Jam

Started by MikeyT, June 28, 2012, 10:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

Am I the only one who thinks this rules?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

kippled

Man, if anyone doesn't think that rules they shouldn't really be here!  That whole set is killer.  Has anyone else heard the story about the band only getting $1000 apiece even though their management had a contract for $250,000 to play that show?  I had a guitar teacher in the early '80s who had been at the 8/5/75 Asbury Park show, which has gotta be my favorite Sabbath bootleg that I've heard btw, and he told me that the city of Asbury Park banned rock concerts at Convention Hall after Sabbath because they found huge cracks in the concrete walls that weren't there before Sabbath played.  So heavy and loud that they were practically demolishing the building!  No idea if its actually true, but I really hope it is.

MikeyT

:o Wow, great story.

lftwng4

Is any of that concert footage available in official release?  I'd love to see the whole Sabbath set, and the wife found a youtube video of Deep Purple doing "Mistreated" that was awesome, love to see that set too.  Hate to watch those things on youtube though.

MikeyT

On DVD: Deep Purple - LIVE IN CALIFORNIA 74

aka LIVE AT THE CALIFORNIA JAM 1974

Bought that a few years ago. I assume it's still readily available. A quick look at e.bay should tell the tale.

I'll check on Sabbath later.

L. Ron

I have a friend that went to Cal Jam and of course saw Sabbath(it was his first big concert), he has some funny stories about it, one of the things that really made me laugh was how him and his friends snuck in a bunch of beers hidden inside a giant beanbag.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

Woody

I'd love to have the full Black Oak Arkansas set on VHS, too.

goldwater

as i understand it, abc television the california jams promoter erased the footage of sabbths performance. i hope that is not true, however  for as long as i have looked for official footage, i just can't find it. i figure that if it existed the band themselves would have released it.
we all lost in 64

MikeyT

It's most likely true. At least we have the audio.

Metal and Beer

The promotor has a nostalgia site up and I'm pretty sure he posted (or otherwise has available?) a good chunk of Sab's set, but the original video and sound aren't synced anymore? I'm a little fuzzy on deets but I do recall he posted that....(probably on FB?)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

MikeyT

Dost thou know his name, or the name of his website?

Metal and Beer

Not right offhand but he's on my FB feed, I'll have a look...

Eddit: The Facebook page is called the California Jam Fan Club, and I was gonna post "Killing Yourself to Live" but got this: "This video is no longer available because the uploader closed his account"....damn it !

MikeyT

Thanks !

Just got on there and watched/listened to PARANOID... man, that looks/sounds great. I was surprised at the quality. The leads sounded a little more musical/ less harsh than in that youtube video I posted.
Tony was playing well, and his tone was very tasty.

Metal and Beer

Cheers man, glad there's some useful stuff for ya there, you also may find other content clickin' through there if you haven't already..

Isabellacat

Sorry to 'bump' this  :o 

This is about as close to having the full footage as you can get...

I once dated a guy who went to this! So lucky.. My only gripe is Iommi's obvious flub during the outtro of War Pigs,but that was most likely due to nervousness and drugs. Otherwise a perfect performance all around!

MikeyT