What is the ultimate Stoner Rock guitar?

Started by FrankenFretter, July 06, 2012, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankenFretter

Of course, this is purely subjective. I was just wondering out loud as whether there is such a thing or not?
SG?
Les Paul?
Some kind of SuperStrat?
Shitty department store guitar from the 60's or 70's?
Ukulele?
Jazzmaster?
Tele?

What say you, and why?
- Sean

bitter

It's hard not to play pauls. If I had to break away, I'd go Tele. Prolly go RD before an SG but that's more personal tastes than anything.

Superstrats may not always fit the ideal "stonerrock" vibe but are super easy players and extremely flexible in role.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

clockwork green

SG's seem to be the most common but not like they were 15 or so years ago.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mawso

les paul special?  you'd have to work kinda hard to make things not sound somewhere within the broad ambit of Stoner Rock with P90s

The Shocker

Quote from: clockwork green on July 06, 2012, 05:09:30 PM
SG's seem to be the most common but not like they were 15 or so years ago.

Seems like LP's may have passed them.

bitter

RacerX

I've heard good stoner heaviness outta plenty of different guitar brands/models, but I'll also jump on the "used to be the SG, now the LP" bandwagon.

As far as the stereotype goes, yeah, it's the Lester now.
Livin' The Life.

skydogdiesel

it totally depends on what kind of tone your aiming for.  "stoner rock" covers a wide range of sounds and you can pretty much dial in any kind of bitchin tone with the right combo of pickups, pedals and amp. 

which guitarist's tone do you sticks out for you most? what kind of tone are you aiming for?

you can google rig setups that your favourite guitarists use.

i would say that humbuckers versus single coils are the only factor that will determine the amount of drive/punch/volume in your overall tone but pedals will get you pretty much any sound youre looking for.
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

Instant Dan

Add one more to the room of "used to be the SG, now the LP" bandwagon.

An SR guitar to me is one that the person got cheap and it just sounds heavy.

Anyway, throw in Iceman's and Mockingbirds.

bitter

Quote from: Instant Dan on July 06, 2012, 06:55:22 PM
Add one more to the room of "used to be the SG, now the LP" bandwagon.

An SR guitar to me is one that the person got cheap and it just sounds heavy.

Anyway, throw in Iceman's and Mockingbirds.

YES! Those two are definitely sleepers.

Baltar

I'm going with SG if you're pushing 40 like me and 20+years of sk8/snowboarding and big heavy amps.  My Paul was not comfortable like it was in '92 when I was 19.   But definitely 'buckers are the go-to pup.  What they're dropped into is usually not as important.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

OUTSIDE THE BOX, KIDS, OUTSIDE THE BOX!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

I think the fact that you bought it at a pawn shop makes it the ultimate stoner guitar ;D
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

everdrone

SG Standard! 

best value, best looking, rocks hardest!!!

FrankenFretter

I agree that the Paul seems to be more prevalent in SR these days. But does that embody the spirit of SR? Or is there such a thing?

I think that as long as you have heaping manure-shovels of fuzz, you can use almost anything for "that" tone. I like the idea of the Paul Jr, or generally any solid body with P90s, though. Maybe because I own three P90s guitars? Maybe. There's something just ballsy about a P90. Then again, hums do have a fuller sound. Tough call.

I do also kind of like the pawn shop/el cheapo idea. It seems more the route a real stoner would take if he suddenly decided he wanted to play guitar. I guess I should clarify; a poor stoner.

I would never have thought of an Iceman. I guess I'll always associate that with Paul Stanley, which is not my idea of a stoner rock guitarist.
- Sean

dogfood

When I think of stoner I think of SGs.  Why? And with the popular vote going toward Lesters?  All mahogany.  That is detuned wood my initiates.  That maple cap on the lesters adds a snap to the tone that says "I'm about to play some leads."  All mahogany says "I'm going to melt your ass with riffs of Hell sludge!". 

That being said...I used to play SGs now I play a MIK LP ;D
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

OUTLANDAH

^ think i saw a few on the ebay completely stripped down, body and neck only for 400$. I just had to pay $800 fine otherwise I would have bought two.

Jake

poop.

rayinreverse

You'll say LP until you see Earthless. You'll say strat until you see Red Fang. You'll say Guild until you see Melvins. You'll say Electrical until you see HOF. Then you'll say First Act. Pretty much there isn't an ultimate. They can all work.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

clockwork green

This was the correct answer before there was even a question:
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

liquidsmoke

Quote from: OUTLANDAH on July 07, 2012, 05:11:15 AM

Want! What do they call this model and when were these made?

My vote aside from ^ is the Les Paul. Neck pup and a bit of distortion and you're heavy as fuck although that goes for most guitars.

VOLVO)))

Epiphone Scroll, Benberry Lazer please report to the courtesy phone with a picture of your buttpussy and Scroll!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.