What is the ultimate Stoner Rock guitar?

Started by FrankenFretter, July 06, 2012, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Lazer

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 09, 2012, 12:29:49 AM
Good price, was that in the last few years? Is it neck heavy? No case in the car? I'd save it from you if I needed a new guitar right now and had the money to spend.
[/quote]

Yeah i got it last year. it is kinda neck heavy but no more so than your standard sg. No case for it man but I make sure not to leave it in the car for long.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Blueberry Lazer on July 09, 2012, 10:27:44 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 09, 2012, 12:29:49 AM
Good price, was that in the last few years? Is it neck heavy? No case in the car? I'd save it from you if I needed a new guitar right now and had the money to spend.

Yeah i got it last year. it is kinda neck heavy but no more so than your standard sg. No case for it man but I make sure not to leave it in the car for long.
[/quote]

I'm tired of neck heavy guitars but that sucker looks cool. Good to know they aren't all super pricey.

The Shocker

Quote from: FrankenFretter on July 09, 2012, 09:26:57 PM
Those T-40s and 60s are really under rated, and you can sometimes find them on CL for pretty cheap. US made, very solid instruments.

Yes, that is an Eko Manta that I posted. I came pretty close to buying one a few weeks ago, but bought this instead (always wanted a Mosrite):

Pretty.

moose23

The ultimate Stoner Rock guitar is the one of the plugged into the ultimate stoner rock amp. I'll contend the amp is more important than the guitar in this style of music.  :P  ;D

grimniggzy

Quote from: The Shocker on July 10, 2012, 03:56:55 AM
Quote from: FrankenFretter on July 09, 2012, 09:26:57 PM
Those T-40s and 60s are really under rated, and you can sometimes find them on CL for pretty cheap. US made, very solid instruments.

Yes, that is an Eko Manta that I posted. I came pretty close to buying one a few weeks ago, but bought this instead (always wanted a Mosrite):

Pretty.

yeah, i'm into it

Blueberry Lazer

I AINT FIT TO LIVE HEEEEEEEEEERRRRRREEEE

RacerX

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on July 10, 2012, 11:59:10 AM
ES-335.  Sounds and plays like butter.

:o Cool axes, but where the hell did you guys pick up that miniature rhythm section?
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Wait just a second... that looks like... Graveyard.

What is going on, here? You better not be in Graveyard without telling me, for so long!  ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

HOW DARE YOU SPAM YOUR BAND PIC'S WITH LESS THAT 35 POSTS!!!

AgentofOblivion

I'm not sure how it got started that I'm in that picture.  I was simply voting for the ES-335 and then giving an example of one put in use by a bad ass band.  But yeah, I'm in Graveyard and I write all the music.  Bow to me... 

(That was a joke.  I'm not in Graveyard.  I'm not working for Graveyard.  I've only been in the same room once and that's because I paid.)

fallen

For a small fee I will Photoshop you into the band of your choice. "Look! I'm the old second guitar player in Sleep!" or "I was the drum tech for Foghat during their 1977 US tour!"

Great for t-shirts or perhaps a framed photo in your den.

FrankenFretter

Quote from: fallen on July 10, 2012, 04:36:56 PM
For a small fee I will Photoshop you into the band of your choice. "Look! I'm the old second guitar player in Sleep!" or "I was the drum tech for Foghat during their 1977 US tour!"

Great for t-shirts or perhaps a framed photo in your den.

In!
- Sean

zachoff

As far as basses go... I started out w/ a Reverend Rumblefish.  That bass still fucking slays, but it's too nice to take to bars so it sits at home (1 of 30 made in bugeye!).  It's my #1 home bass for sure though.

After I put the Reverend away I got a Japanese Fender P, then a Peavey T-40, then two late-70s Yamaha BBs (800 and 1000), and now I play G&L Tributes.  The G&Ls just sound huge.  Way huger than anything else I've ever owned & I love them.  I played the Yamahas for a while though.  Probably close to a year.  I still love those basses too.

Matt's Yamaha SGs are awesome.  I like them a hell of a lot more than when he had his Gibson SG.

everdrone

rick for bass guitar!  I love my jetglo 4003 :)

I,Galactus

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on July 10, 2012, 11:59:10 AM
ES-335.  Sounds and plays like butter.

Ggguuuhhh... why are Swedes so badass at making throwback rock?!

Thanks for posting this (regardless of whether or not you're in the band  ;)), as I'd never checked these dudes out before.

WTF is the awesome looking stack that's not Orange in that pic?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

AgentofOblivion

I'm not sure what that stack is, but they played all Orange on stage.  Even the bassist.  It sounded fucking amazing.  The guy can fucking sing live too.  Not the type that nails it on the album but can never recreate it.  Also, they had Radio Moscow open, who I had never heard of before that night.  Holy shit...they rock dude.  Check them out as well if you like Graveyard.  And before anyone asks, I'm not in Radio Moscow either...

zachoff

Quote from: everdrone on July 11, 2012, 12:31:06 AM
rick for bass guitar!  I love my jetglo 4003 :)

Problem w/ a Rick is they're thin sounding.  To each his own, for sure, but I have little love for a Rick for heavy music.  Graveyard-y sort of stuff, sure.  Big, heavy, bassy, sludgy metal... Not really.  I also had a Gibson RD Artist that I didn't love as much as my Yamaha BBs or G&L L-2000s.  Weird.

James1214

I disagree, however I think the amp has a lot yo do with it. for whatever its worth every riff I ever recorded with damnweevil was on my rick, I definitely never had an issue with bringing the thunder. I do believe tone is as much in a players hands as any other part of the chain, strings, instrument, effects, amps and cabs.
words

VOLVO)))

The Swedes do everything right,.

Metal, grind, crustpunk, doom, etc...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Cursed71

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 11, 2012, 01:04:46 PM
The Swedes do everything right,.

Metal, grind, crustpunk, doom, etc...
My thoughts after checking out the recent thread on Snailking.