What is the ultimate Stoner Rock guitar?

Started by FrankenFretter, July 06, 2012, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I,Galactus

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 11, 2012, 01:04:46 PM
The Swedes do everything right,.

Metal, grind, crustpunk, doom, etc...

I know, right?!  No fair!  >:(

Also seriously what the hell is that amp?!
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Cursed71 on July 11, 2012, 01:18:19 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on July 11, 2012, 01:04:46 PM
The Swedes do everything right,.

Metal, grind, crustpunk, doom, etc...
My thoughts after checking out the recent thread on Snailking.

man.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

aowron

Quote from: zachoff on July 11, 2012, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: everdrone on July 11, 2012, 12:31:06 AM
rick for bass guitar!  I love my jetglo 4003 :)

Problem w/ a Rick is they're thin sounding.  To each his own, for sure, but I have little love for a Rick for heavy music.  Graveyard-y sort of stuff, sure.  Big, heavy, bassy, sludgy metal... Not really.  I also had a Gibson RD Artist that I didn't love as much as my Yamaha BBs or G&L L-2000s.  Weird.

Ricks can sound really heavy and thick too. Last time I saw Kongh, I remember seeing the bassist playing a Rick, and I would neither call the bass sound on Dopethrone thin and wimpy...

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: aowron on July 12, 2012, 03:54:03 PM

Problem w/ a Rick is they're thin sounding.  To each his own, for sure, but I have little love for a Rick for heavy music.  Graveyard-y sort of stuff, sure.  Big, heavy, bassy, sludgy metal... Not really.  I also had a Gibson RD Artist that I didn't love as much as my Yamaha BBs or G&L L-2000s.  Weird.

Ricks can sound really heavy and thick too. Last time I saw Kongh, I remember seeing the bassist playing a Rick, and I would neither call the bass sound on Dopethrone thin and wimpy...

That is the great thing about driven valve amps. Now go find a clean rick sound, even on the Beatles albums is pretty hairy.

Lumpy

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 12, 2012, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: aowron on July 12, 2012, 03:54:03 PM

That is the great thing about driven valve amps. Now go find a clean rick sound, even on the Beatles albums is pretty hairy.

Yes? The Jam? Both have clean Rick sound (IMO). Early Rush?

BTW, I'm not a Rick fan...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Metal and Beer

Isn't there a fairly well-known mod to take that signature thinness out of 'em?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

James1214

Yeah, you change a cap to one with a different value to bring out some more low end. The new 4003's have a push-pull on the bridge tone pot which engages that circuit. They are even more versatile. I can't wait to get the second rig running to have some rick-o-sound.

Back to guitars.

I think this one has contributed quite a bit to the "desert sound"

words

FrankenFretter

Quote from: James1214 on July 13, 2012, 03:31:03 AM
Yeah, you change a cap to one with a different value to bring out some more low end. The new 4003's have a push-pull on the bridge tone pot which engages that circuit. They are even more versatile. I can't wait to get the second rig running to have some rick-o-sound.

Back to guitars.

From the headstock, I'd guess that's an Ovation? Weird.
- Sean

bitter

Quote from: FrankenFretter on July 13, 2012, 04:00:07 AM
Quote from: James1214 on July 13, 2012, 03:31:03 AM

Back to guitars.

From the headstock, I'd guess that's an Ovation? Weird.

Yessir!

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

FrankenFretter

Ah, the Ultra GP. Google is a wonderful thing. My ignorance is revealed...
- Sean

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Lumpy on July 13, 2012, 02:51:51 AM

The Jam was an Ibanez, and think recordings were done with a precision, was talking to a guy regarding such things at length because he is borrowing my CMI copy for the purpose. Plus, Marshall amps have got to be the least clean 'clean' sound you can get. Not sure about Rush.

The thinness mod was pulling the cap from the bridge pickup, which was alike a reverse tone control that only let highs through so it wouldn't blow up guitar cabs when using Ric-o-sound.

moose23

Would Rick James count as clean Ric bass?

BigSwordfishtrombone

Not the best pic, but I consider my blacktop jaguar to be the best one for me.

FrankenFretter

Quote from: BigSwordfishtrombone on July 15, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Nice!
- Sean

Tuekkong

I believe the Mark of Cain rock Rickenbacker guitars and basses...granted its not stoner rock but still heavy in a Big Black trebly meets Helmet riffage way.

BigSwordfishtrombone

Quote from: FrankenFretter on July 15, 2012, 08:48:19 PM
Quote from: BigSwordfishtrombone on July 15, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Nice!

Thanks. I currently have it in D standard for some stuff I've been working on.

Lumpy

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 13, 2012, 09:53:29 AM

The Jam was an Ibanez, and think recordings were done with a precision, was talking to a guy regarding such things at length because he is borrowing my CMI copy for the purpose. Plus, Marshall amps have got to be the least clean 'clean' sound you can get. Not sure about Rush.

The Jam played Rickenbackers. (Mods would play Ibanez? ??? LOL) I saw them three times in the 80s, so I can say that with certainty. Maybe at the end, they weren't playing Ricks? (I stopped listening to them when they went Motown).

Geddy Lee played a Rick in early Rush. Wikipedia says he used a Rick on Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres albums and tours. My friends were bombarding me with Rush during this time (one guy played a Rick because Geddy did) so I know this to be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee#Bass_guitars

Not trying to bicker, but that "bouncy" clean tone is (IMO) the Rick bass' signature sound.

Lumpy

We can argue about other stuff now, since we all agree that the Gibson SG is thee ultimate Stoner Rock guitar. ;)

BigSwordfishtrombone

Quote from: Lumpy on July 16, 2012, 05:24:27 AM
We can argue about other stuff now, since we all agree that the Gibson SG is thee ultimate Stoner Rock guitar. ;)

Yeah, it seems like some of my favorite stoner rock riffs were done on an SG. Teles and semi-hollow/hollow bodies seem to be really good for it too imo.

Lumpy

On further review, maybe those Rick bass players weren't all that clean (some overdrive there). Mr. Foxen may be right in the larger sense (that a lot of Rick players are using overdrive or distortion). More so than other brands? I don't know.

How about Rick James? John Taylor from Duran Duran? (I hate them, but good bass player). Go nuts with this list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rickenbacker_players#Bassists

moose23

Quote from: Lumpy on July 16, 2012, 05:19:26 AM

The Jam played Rickenbackers. (Mods would play Ibanez? ??? LOL) I saw them three times in the 80s, so I can say that with certainty. Maybe at the end, they weren't playing Ricks? (I stopped listening to them when they went Motown).

Bruce Foxton most definitely played an Ibanez Ric copy on at least the first album. Was only after that he got a real Ric and then  changed to a P-Bass by All Mod Cons. Apparently he wanted a bass that looked like a Ric but sounded like an EB-0.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: moose23 on July 16, 2012, 07:05:51 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on July 16, 2012, 05:19:26 AM

Bruce Foxton most definitely played an Ibanez Ric copy on at least the first album. Was only after that he got a real Ric and then  changed to a P-Bass by All Mod Cons. Apparently he wanted a bass that looked like a Ric but sounded like an EB-0.

According to some Jam page, it was a real rick first for style, but didn't like the sound. Either story sounds plausible, once you get to the point you actually care about the quality of the instrument and hear tone with your ears, the Ibanez would tend to come on top, especially compared to the last pick Ricks that got exported, but starting with the cheaper instrument also sounds likely. Rick has this ton of rabid fanboys thing that claim anything was a Rick, that list has Peter Hook on it FFS, he had a Hondo copy that was so shit he gave it away to a kid who sold it without using his name for a charity tombola. Imagine if anything shaped like a P bass got claimed as a Fender.

Also, Cliff Burton played an Aria Rick copy with the mudbucker in the neck position. Think he had a real one too, but might just have been the later aria with smaller pickup. Edit: having done a google image search, its always the Aria with mudbucker.

Lumpy

After searching the memory banks, I do remember Bruce Foxton playing a black Fender something on the 2nd show. (It was the 80s and I was probably high). I also didn't look at the headstock to know if he was playing a real Rick on the first show. So, 'D'oh!'.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Lumpy on July 16, 2012, 12:51:44 PM
After searching the memory banks, I do remember Bruce Foxton playing a black Fender something on the 2nd show. (It was the 80s and I was probably high). I also didn't look at the headstock to know if he was playing a real Rick on the first show. So, 'D'oh!'.

Headstock may well not have helped, used to be able to get rick truss covers. About the only way to tell the good rick copies from the real thing was metric truss rod nuts, plus the good copies had better CNC machining and nicer wiring.

Discö Rice

It seems like some of you are really splitting hairs. I love Rickenbacker basses (it's not a monogamous kind of love, but it's a profound one). I don't get what the debate here is. Does anyone play "Stoner Rock" with a sparkling clean tone? I like growl.I like grit. As for the supposed lack of bottom end, the push/pull pot is a cool option that makes a great bass even more versatile. Y'allz crazy.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.