Spotify is super awesome for FREE DOOM music! Doom on! \m/

Started by everdrone, July 08, 2012, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

everdrone

its really easy to download and use.  you can pick out your fav music!  I found some rare stuff that I could not buy, so I am pretty stoked, way better than xmradio pandora.com radio or buying CDs IMO, wave of the future, best thing since sliced bread!  I am sure most of you already knew about it and are using it, but just in case: https://www.spotify.com/us/signup/

its gonna make your day, cheers (I dont get paid by spotify, I just have been stoked on it after discovering it yesterday)  :)

clockwork green

It's pretty shitty for getting bands paid but then again that's the world we live in.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

neighbor664

If fools would actually subscribe and pay rather than looking for a free ride they could actually have the coin to pay bands. The free version is pretty meh, I dig my subscription. More of everything. Money well spent.

everdrone

the artist gets paid every time no matter if it is the free version that user chooses or not...  not sure how the royalty setup works with spotify tho, but it is certainly the waive of the future billion dollar company just legalized in USA a year ago ;)

neighbor664

Sure, but were is this money supposed to come from if no one pays? They're not printing their own.

everdrone

I dunno, advertizers in the future? did not see many advertizers now... lol not sure, certainly not like the 70s selling beatles albums and all that good stuff for teh rock godz! 

Pundan

I can also recommend you guys Grooveshark, in my opinion there's more stuff on Grooveshark that falls into my liking. Only downside to Grooveshark is that it doesn't have a iPhone/iPod/iPad app. Apple has rejected the app.

clockwork green

I really love bandcamp.  There are some good bandcamp player apps so I can listen to stuff there but in terms of finding new bands and making sure they get money for the songs I'm about to download they're pretty damn good...apple isn't so bad either.  Spotify pays bands $0.0056 per stream so it would take 10,000 streams to make $56. Now if it's a doom song that's 20 minutes long then good luck with getting 10,000 people to listen to anything.   If 100 people on itunes buy your song you'll get about $65.

moose23

Quote from: Pundan on July 09, 2012, 12:41:28 AM
I can also recommend you guys Grooveshark, in my opinion there's more stuff on Grooveshark that falls into my liking. Only downside to Grooveshark is that it doesn't have a iPhone/iPod/iPad app. Apple has rejected the app.

Pretty sure Grooveshark pays zero royalties to anyone.

everdrone

Quote from: clockwork green on July 09, 2012, 03:20:03 AM
I really love bandcamp.  There are some good bandcamp player apps so I can listen to stuff there but in terms of finding new bands and making sure they get money for the songs I'm about to download they're pretty damn good...apple isn't so bad either.  Spotify pays bands $0.0056 per stream so it would take 10,000 streams to make $56. Now if it's a doom song that's 20 minutes long then good luck with getting 10,000 people to listen to anything.   If 100 people on itunes buy your song you'll get about $65.

capitalism = grand scale corporate plunderer externality ripoff masterminds on a large scale!   :'(

grimniggzy

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pundan

Quote from: moose23 on July 09, 2012, 09:10:31 AM

There's some kind of royalty system there, I put my music on there but haven't filled in the royalties thing. I just like it because you can find much stuff there. It's not like Spotify let's me listen to Karp without commercials for free!

sleestak

Quote from: Pundan on July 09, 2012, 12:41:28 AMI can also recommend you guys Grooveshark, in my opinion there's more stuff on Grooveshark that falls into my liking. Only downside to Grooveshark is that it doesn't have a iPhone/iPod/iPad app. Apple has rejected the app.

They released a jailbreak app that you can find in the Cydia store.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

moose23

Quote from: Pundan on July 09, 2012, 11:19:50 AM
Quote from: moose23 on July 09, 2012, 09:10:31 AM

There's some kind of royalty system there, I put my music on there but haven't filled in the royalties thing. I just like it because you can find much stuff there. It's not like Spotify let's me listen to Karp without commercials for free!

Cool I'll stand corrected. Also listening to Karp is extremely important.

rayinreverse

Pissy

interesting article here about the royalties system.

http://www.spotidj.com/spotifyroyalties.htm

I'm pretty sure our music is on there somewhere, and we never did anything to get it on there, aside from put our CD's available on CDBaby -- which is really all it ever takes.  That would mean that our royalties go to CDBaby, who then pays ASCAP who then promptly distributes it to Madonna and Aerosmith.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

heh.

Dammit, it got re-sized.  Basically that graph shows that you need to get 250,000 streams in a month in order to make minimum wage off of Spotify.

PROTIP: Right-click/View Image for blown-up. - Jake
Vinyls.   deal.

moose23

If you're relying on one streaming service for your source of income you're doing it wrong.

Pissy

Quote from: moose23 on July 10, 2012, 08:28:47 AM
If you're relying on music for your source of income you're doing it wrong.

I feex for you.

;D
Vinyls.   deal.

moose23

clockwork green

It's just a little sad that with all of the bullshit careers that pay just fine out there music is far from being remotely viable for just about everyone.  It doesn't change my interest in making music but still, it would be nice to break even once in awhile.

fallen

That infographic makes it super clear... and that monthly wage level is brutal. There is no way anyone is going to get by on that small a wage either unless it's a full band living in an old house somewhere in the burbs.

Another way to think of it is what does $1000 a month go towards on a bands ongoing costs in a bigger city where a lot of support shows are available. $500 a month for a lockout jam space, insurance, van payments and insurance, strings, cords, sticks, heads, posters, website.

But how can it ever change. Everyone steals music even though it's just as easy to buy it. People say they buy merch but some bands don't tour so they're fucked. The only way the major labels stay in business is that they usually get the music for free in exchange for loans.

The way things have gone downhill in the last 30 years is crazy. Tony Iommi is a multi-millionare living in a huge mansion and in 10 years Matt Pike will still be working a part-time job on the side to pay his rent. It's fucked.

mawso

i like checking out releases i don't have on spotify, tho it is a bit unnerving to get halfway through an album full of badass rock jams and suddenly justin bieber comes on