Introduction + Slaving question

Started by morgantician, August 12, 2012, 02:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 15, 2012, 10:44:14 AM
Quote from: jibberish on August 15, 2012, 01:37:03 AM
i think you actually layed out the constraints regarding the consideration of what i was asking.  Now i suppose victor wooten would kick my ass for saying what i said, but you also said the other end of the discussion: certain bands do just need the bass note played and adequate volume and that's it.
To heck with Victor Wooten, do you ever notice how so many instrument gods, not just bass gods, but guitar gods as well, play unlistenable jazzy, noodly crap, and nobody outside players of the same instrument listen to them.

I'd rather be Cliff Williams than Victor Wooten, anyday. He gets it, he's part of a band.

Apologies to the fans of the jazzy, noodly crap, I'm going off to listen to Om ;)

Would that be the new noodly, jazzy Om?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: moose23 on August 15, 2012, 11:12:54 AM
Ah, you got that ;D

It's a pretty interesting departure, and from what I've seen on the YouTube it looks more interesting live, when mixed in with some of their old stuff, than it is on disk. He's mining the same vein Jah Wobble did 20 years ago, and his bass sound is now quite similar as well, more of an insistent rumble in the background, than a brash fuzzy lead, maybe he got tired of being the frontman so much and wanted to play at being 'bassplayer' again.

I'm hoping the re-scheduled North American tour might include a date closer than Chicago this time.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 15, 2012, 04:04:08 PM
Quote from: moose23 on August 15, 2012, 11:12:54 AM
Ah, you got that ;D

It's a pretty interesting departure, and from what I've seen on the YouTube it looks more interesting live, when mixed in with some of their old stuff, than it is on disk. He's mining the same vein Jah Wobble did 20 years ago, and his bass sound is now quite similar as well, more of an insistent rumble in the background, than a brash fuzzy lead, maybe he got tired of being the frontman so much and wanted to play at being 'bassplayer' again.

I'm hoping the re-scheduled North American tour might include a date closer than Chicago this time.

That is another one my mate did sound for (basically all of Europe), the rumbling might be to do with all Ampeg backline, which wasn't ideal, I think the 8x10s were the ones with the dark speakers. Plus I think my mate likes bass to sound like that (he's a bassist), I found his favourite cabs to be dark with no definition, but he loves them.

moose23

I really like the new stuff, works great live too, seen them in April and again on the 27th of September.

Scottish and Donegal humour is very similar..  ;)

Hemisaurus

Well Ireland is just the overflow from when the Romans pushed us all north.

Foxen: I assumed the rumbling was just an overloaded mic on the recording device, if you ever overloaded a tiny condenser mic with bass, that's the kind of sound you get ;D

Mr. Foxen

Was sort of compensating for that. Meant more in terms of the bass sounding more like bass and less toward the guitar end, not much attack to it, finger noise and clank is out.

MichaelZodiac

The rumbling definitely was present at their last Euro tour, happening more with the fuzz-less pieces btw. It sounded good though but unless he kicked in that fuzz pedal it was good but not awesome if you know what I mean. I remember standing upfront and the moment he kicked in his pedal the guy beside me took a few steps backwards.

I think on the last record it's the perfect combination of more fuzz-less bass riffs in a supportive role and full on fuzzy bass riffs demanding the attention of the listener.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Hemisaurus

Jah Wobble did it already, 20 years ago ;D

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 15, 2012, 09:02:15 PM
Jah Wobble did it already, 20 years ago ;D

He also had John Lydon ranting about Hollywood over it,..

Hemisaurus

No I was meaning Invaders of the Heart not PIL so he had Sinead O'Connor ranting over it instead. It's a definite departure for Om, but I can't see it going anyplace else, be interesting to see if it does. To keep it relevant to the thread, here's Al's main amp and slave units.

Electric's come with a Slave Out, Nick could probably let you see the circuitry.

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 16, 2012, 08:23:28 AM
No I was meaning Invaders of the Heart not PIL so he had Sinead O'Connor ranting over it instead. It's a definite departure for Om, but I can't see it going anyplace else, be interesting to see if it does. To keep it relevant to the thread, here's Al's main amp and slave units.

Electric's come with a Slave Out, Nick could probably let you see the circuitry.

Give me Al over Sinead or John anyday.

One could always just run a Sansamp Oxford into a SS power amp and solve all the problems here although I think the Orange alone is capable of doing what's needed without worrying about an extra power amp..

dunwichamps

it is a post power amp slave off an OT tap using a resistive divider.

Mr. Foxen

He has sold the green cabs. dunno about the amps, but he was recording with Laney stuff. Not sure what was used on the last album though.

Pissy

Last I heard he was thinking his tone into the mix. Harder to accomplish live than in the studio. Tough to maintain endorsements as well.

;)
Vinyls.   deal.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Pissy on August 16, 2012, 10:43:47 AM
Last I heard he was thinking his tone into the mix. Harder to accomplish live than in the studio. Tough to maintain endorsements as well.

;)
I'm gonna need that one explained?

Foxen you sure he just didn't have them in Europe, I can't see him doing that. I also don't see him listed as an Ampeg endorser, maybe he went like Geezer and is endorsing Hartke, after the shitstorm surrounding the new Ampeg gear, I wouldn't be atall surprised ;D

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 16, 2012, 01:49:09 PM
Quote from: Pissy on August 16, 2012, 10:43:47 AM

;)
I'm gonna need that one explained?

Foxen you sure he just didn't have them in Europe, I can't see him doing that. I also don't see him listed as an Ampeg endorser, maybe he went like Geezer and is endorsing Hartke, after the shitstorm surrounding the new Ampeg gear, I wouldn't be atall surprised ;D

Still have the text from the sound guy touring with them saved on my phone, because Om asking me for sound advice is cool:
QuoteAl has an all Ampeg rig at home now, endorsed by them. 2x SVT VR, 2x 2x15. sold the Green rig.[Bunch of nerdy stuff about 8x10s vs 2x15s for the tour]

Hemisaurus

Guess we'll wait and see then, truth will out and all that.

http://www.ampeg.com/artists/

RacerX

Quotetruth will out and all that.

Are you suggesting Al is gay?
Livin' The Life.

Mr. Foxen

Jake

I know we all like to have something a little different than the other guy. It's fun to use stuff that's obscure, unique, and often times vintage. Kind of sets us apart from the Mr. Vanilla, happy-with-whatever-off-the-shelf, Joe Schmoe.

That being said, an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 are absolutely part of the bedrock of rock & roll and unfuckwithable.
poop.

RacerX

Agreed.

But what about the new Ampegs? Our old bassist had an SVT Pro for a minute before blowing it up. Sounded just okay, quality seemed dodgy.
Livin' The Life.

dunwichamps

certainly the vintage SVT units are grail-esque. They have a great design but not the best build layouts.

Mr. Foxen

I hate the cabs, and I dislike they way the heads are built strongly. Plus they are total cunts to deal with if you are trying to fix one.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on August 16, 2012, 05:02:29 PM
certainly the vintage SVT units are grail-esque. They have a great design but not the best build layouts.
Just said almost exact same thing last week, good sounding circuit, terribly built.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Jake on August 16, 2012, 04:31:52 PM
I know we all like to have something a little different than the other guy. It's fun to use stuff that's obscure, unique, and often times vintage. Kind of sets us apart from the Mr. Vanilla, happy-with-whatever-off-the-shelf, Joe Schmoe.

That being said, an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 are absolutely part of the bedrock of rock & roll and unfuckwithable.
Bedrock since when? Everyone I see that was relevant played Sunn, Laney, Orange, HiWatt and Marshall, like Lemmy says you can get rid of that Ampeg shit for a start :)

I like vanilla, people do amazing things with vanilla, I don't like overpriced vanilla that lives on it's badge reputation, Marshall and Ampeg are huge offenders in this area.

And wow we went off-topic.