Bass OD... Kinda like guitar OD only not.

Started by zachoff, August 31, 2012, 12:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachoff

Right now, my dirty signal is channel 2 on my SVT (running in parallel w/ clean channel 1) and consists of a mole in front of a garmopat modified Vox V830...  It's pretty rad but also pretty mellow & I'm looking for something dirtier but don't want to lose the note definition or lows that I get from my current setup.  I've tried an old Rat and a Distortion+ as well as the old bass faithfuls (Muff, ODB3, PD7, and Blowtorch)... None of which I like as much as the Vox.  I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a boutique guitar pedal for sorta obvious reasons... They're made for guitar.  Anyway, I'm kinda looking for a DIY kit and wondering if any of you have experience with any of the buildyourownclone.com pedals and which you might recommend from an ease of build vs results standpoint.  I'm not a rookie to soldering, but I'm not a pro either.  I'm kinda leaning toward the fuzzface clone just because it seems simple enough and has a ton of positive reviews.  Open to others as well.

Lumpy

Superfuzz variants (like the Brassmaster or B:assmaster) have tons of gravel/grit, and maintain note definition. Look into a Superfuzz clone, IMO.

Fuzzfaces seem too smooth to me (but not much experience with those).

A Wooly Mammoth clone is another option. The Mammoth and Brassmaster are a little squelchy, in other words they will cut down your long sustain. If you have lots of long whole notes that hang there, they probably aren't good choices. The Mammoth is more modern grindy/90s, the Brassmaster/Superfuzz is more late 60s/early 70s. But with your setup (multiple amps, plus the rest of the band) the differences might be less obvious.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=34

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Hirsute_Pachyderm_cloneyourown_Woolly_Mammoth_Fuzz/p847124_6606303.aspx

Sometimes, you just have to try stuff out and see what happens. A/B as many pedals as possible until you have something that can't seem to lose.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

If you can afford it, the Megalith from Mountainking Electronics (a bass fuzz) has a lot of rad fuzz texture, and as much bass as you want to dial in (all-in-one solution for you) but they are expensive and rarely turn up used.

The Verellen Big Spider is another radical bass pedal. Not as expensive as the Megalith.

If you decide to buy something, instead of build...

bass sic

You say you used the muff, have tried one of the many mods that are available for the muff? The black Russian I have seems like its built to be modded.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 31, 2012, 09:29:52 AM
DOD 250?

^likes this.^

I have a early 90's RATII that does pretty well for me. Did you use the Big Box one zachoff?
Because my RATII def trumped mine.

VOLVO)))

I've found that if I put the HM-2 in front of my 370, running the amp bright as all hell, it definitely retains low end, but you get the jangly growl and grit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

Hemisaurus

I use a Sansamp XXL, an original silver one, it's OK, but you have to keep the tone knob in the first third of it's rotation, or you lose a lot of bass. Maybe the new bass version is less versatile and more bass-centric.

I do apologise, you were looking for a kit :o

Build a Bazz Fuss, it's simple and if you use the Darlington Pair version, extremely over the top, and by playing with the diode and input output cap values, very tweakable. I have a clip somewhere.

Here's an exceptionally poorly recorded clip, which is, 5 string bass > Bazz Fuss > Some old 100W Crate PA head > some random 15" cabinet. Clip Here

grimniggzy

Totally forgot about the Bazz Fuss, they're aparently super easy to build and might be exactly what you're looking for.

Or you can order from here http://www.rhythmanddetonation.com/?tag=for-sale-2

grimniggzy

Hemisaurus

Yeah, there are tagboard and perfboard layouts out there for it, use the Google.

zachoff

Rad, thanks guys.  I'll try the Bazz Fuss... Seems a cheap & easy thing for now.

bbottom

I've tried a ton and I mean a ton of fuzz pedals out for bass over the past few years and I have to say that the one that I keep coming back to, and is currently on my board is the Fender Sublime.

the only real draw back to the thing is that it's gigantic. Although that is also one of the things that is so cool about it.

giantchris

HM-2 or Tech 21 Bass XXL you can get both for 50-70 usually both sound great. 

grimniggzy

Just thought about a Prunes & Custard, might work well for you too. You can get some pretty mean bass tones out of those things just check out the Melvins trilogy.

FullCustom

Not that it means anything, but we still have one of the highest rated pedals on bassfuzz.com

Lumpy

Quote from: FullCustom on September 11, 2012, 10:39:12 AM
Not that it means anything, but we still have one of the highest rated pedals on bassfuzz.com

I like bassfuzz.com. Which one is it?

bbottom

You know I think that I would like bassfuzz.com a hell of a lot more if the dude that runs that site could actually play. His playing (for me) really detracts from the pedals

Lumpy

Quote from: bbottom on September 11, 2012, 06:17:50 PM
You know I think that I would like bassfuzz.com a hell of a lot more if the dude that runs that site could actually play. His playing (for me) really detracts from the pedals

Yes.  :(

FullCustom

In defense of bassfuzz.com. We sent him a pedal, he reviewed it and people saw it. For us it was good exposure that sold still sells pedals. We've paid for ads and gotten less. I like the style of review that he does. Although his site doesn't look as clean as it did when he did our review last year.

zachoff

Picking up a SansAmp BDDI pedal tonight... We'll see how it does.  Nice to finally have a DI though.  I've never had one before & sound guys always roll their beady little eyes when I have them mic me.

Hemisaurus

Was that in lieu of building yourself a Bazz Fuss? :-\

zachoff

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 13, 2012, 08:27:32 PM
Was that in lieu of building yourself a Bazz Fuss? :-\

Nah, just came as a package deal w/ the 210 I bought.