Scorpions - Fly To The Rainbow

Started by Woody, September 20, 2012, 06:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Ron

On my turntable right now, about to fire up a joint.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

lftwng4

Nice review.  Makes you glad to have a turntable.  Definitely prefer first couple albums over the rest of the catalog I've heard.  Probably should give "In Trance" a shot before I write off the rest.

Woody

In Trance is a great tape!

L.Ron - how was the doob + "Drifting Sun?"

L. Ron

It was a righteous combination Woody, I know you are well aware that The Scorps are a great band to listen too while getting high
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

Woody

When Uli gets all Jimidelic it's a total stone gett-off.

EddieMullet

" It sounds great alongside Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest, Rainbow Rising, UFO's Phenomenon and Thin Lizzy's Nightlife. You have all of those, right?"  I do have those and....

Add Robin Trower's For Earth Below, Rush's Caress of Steel, Black Sabbath's Master of Reality and Uriah Heep's Magicians birthday.

Now you have a complete list of the tapes that spent many nights in the 8-track deck while stoned and loafing in the in the Burger King parking lot in a 1976 Chevette.

RAGER

I've been listening to Scorps off and on since the early 80's.  This is one their finest IMO.  Didn't know that the drummer on this record (Jurgen Rosenthal) played drums in Eloy.
No Focus Pocus

Woody

What's a good Eloy tape to check out?

GodShifter

Check out Dawn (1976), though all the albums are pretty consistent through about 1980. Ocean (1977) is particularly strong, too,

Isabellacat

Love this album! But I think I like Lonesome Crow a little better.

Bro. Righteous

Mullet nailed it.
Shit brings me back to my yoots!
I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

RalphSnart_2

I think this is the only one I don't have from 1972-1985. Actually, I lost my copy of Lovedrive...but I've never even possessed Rainbow.

Dave J

I loved all the Uli era LPs, through and including Tokyo Tapes. They were on constant rotation on my stereo in the 80s.  Fly to the Rainbow was one of the strongest, but so was In Trance and there are some gems on Taken by Force. Great stuff.

More recently, however, Lonesome Crow has been inching up as one of my favorites, especially considering that Michael Schenker was only about 17 years old on that album. Some fantastic lead playing.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

stooge

lonesome crow is hippie shit
sounds like santana
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

JLKOWAL

Quote from: stooge on November 24, 2018, 12:10:07 PM
lonesome crow is hippie shit
sounds like santana

LC was a great album if you have a flavor for the more psychedelic stuff from the late 60's and early 70's. This is the album that introduced Michael Schenker to the world of hard rock before he became a UFO'er.

All of the Uli Jon Roth material with the Scorps were just vintage classic stuff. And BTW, SANTANA was great also back in his early day. Still is, but I prefer his first few. ;D 8)