Isley Bros. - The Heat Is On

Started by Woody, October 19, 2012, 10:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Ron

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

GodShifter

Big fan of The Isley's late 60's and 70's stuff. I always dug how they did the parts 1 & 2 thing with a lot of their songs. Ernie Isley is a great guitarist; so underrated especially in the rhythm dept.

So, what's the "quiet storm" thing? I don't get it. Did I miss something?

L. Ron

Did you read Woody's review Jason?
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

GodShifter

I admittedly skimmed over it due to being rushed this morning.

Will re-read.

Woody

No Ernie Isley solos on the slow songs is not sexy.

skydogdiesel

just youtube "climbing the ladder" by the isley brothers from the album "go for your guns".  it's probably the heaviest, funkiest shit they've ever done.  that tune turned me on the ernie isley....
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

Woody

Woah! Never heard "Climbing The Ladder" before. Killer jam and an incredible solo from Ernie. Thanks.

L. Ron

I wasn't familiar with Climbing The Ladder either, that's a hot track, thanks for the tip skydogdiesel.

skydogdiesel

that album is from 1977 i believe and to me is their most funky-heaviest jams.  they also have an album with just cover songs on it that is pretty awesome-they do "machine gun" by hendrix lol
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

Woody

Oh! I didn't know the Isley's did "Machine Gun!" Now I have to get that tape. Thanks mutha!

Isabellacat

I interviewed Ernie Isley last year!!!!!!!!!!!! Real nice gentleman Ernie is.

Hendrix was his childhood friend actually. Personally I like Go for Your Guns the best.

RalphSnart_2

Good call. I got an Isleys five album set last year with some of their 70s stuff on it and there is definitely some ripping Hendrix style guitar. I like some of the slow stuff, too. Also have an earlier album where they do a nice version of CSNY's "Ohio". Same album that cover of "Machine Gun" is on.

Isabellacat

My interview with Ernie Isley is now available on Youtube...