Wiring a speaker cabinet with 3 jacks

Started by justinhedrick, October 20, 2012, 04:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

I have a 2x12 (two 16 ohm speakers) that I want to use as two independent 16 ohm speakers in stereo, and still have a jack to use it as an 8 ohm mono cabinet. How do i do this? can it be done? google gets all confused when I search for answers.

Hemisaurus

You can do it with two jacks, Jack 1 to speaker 1, Jack 2 to speaker 2, switching side of Jack 2 parallel to Jack 1.

With a jack in Jack 1, both speakers are connected, put a jack in Jack 2 it interrupts, the signal from Jack 1, and connects Jack 2 to speaker 2.

Jack 1 is a plain jack, Jack 2 is a double switcher, like a Cliff jack.

For 8 read 16, for 4 read 8 :)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 20, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
You can do it with two jacks, Jack 1 to speaker 1, Jack 2 to speaker 2, switching side of Jack 2 parallel to Jack 1.

With a jack in Jack 1, both speakers are connected, put a jack in Jack 2 it interrupts, the signal from Jack 1, and connects Jack 2 to speaker 2.

Jack 1 is a plain jack, Jack 2 is a double switcher, like a Cliff jack.

Herb, I knew you would have the answer.

Now, does Rat shack have these? and can I get a diagram?

Hemisaurus

I'd have thought so, but don't see it. How about trying Analog Outfitters, or that place up by the station? Or round the corner from it used to be an old style TV repair place. Been a while. Any repair place probably has those jacks.

You can just by two identical jacks, and only use the switching terminals on one of them.