Mockingbird Lane

Started by bitter, October 28, 2012, 03:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

Did anybody watch this? It's a re-vamp of The Munsters starring Eddie Izzard, Portia de Rossi, and Jerry O'Connell. I thought it was going to be a Halloween special, not a potential series.

I didn't see anything except the TV commercials, so I just thought it was going to be fun and kind of cute. Overall, I didn't really care for it. They tried to make it too modern and edgy, like a lot of TV/Movie/comic book remakes. It just ruins the original spirit :(

Oh well, I guess the pilot was meant to be a stand alone for the holiday, with the potential of getting picked up. I guess it got decent ratings, but I doubt it would last long because it's about as sad as Butch Patrick.

Big ole meh  :-\
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

BastardCthulhu

I walked into it knowing I was going to hate it.  I guess I wasn't disappointed??  The Herman character is all wrong.  That kills it for me.  Izzard did a great job, but the whole feel is just off.  Did not care for the show one bit.  Classic Munsters all day long.

bitter

I just couldn't get into Eddie's version of Grandpa. Jerry was too sappy and not the silly/sweet Herman I remember.

Also, the dead hobo thing in the beginning turned me off. Sure it's funny, but tasteless for the Munsters.

Lumpy

You can't improve upon perfection.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

boltthrow

It was shot as a pilot but didn't get picked up to series.  But then NBC thought, what the hell, let's show it at Halloween.  And then it marginally okay the other so who knows, maybe they'll order more. 

It was made by Bryan Fuller who did Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies.  I've never really liked his stuff.  Too twee, too precious, sort of doesn't exist anywhere near the real world (the original Munsters seems like a documentary compared).  Sort of the cut-rate TV version of Tim Burton I guess.  But he keeps getting stuff bought and shot so what do I know?

bitter

Nicely put! When I hear Tim Burton, I think trite. This show, to me, was more of a perversion of the original and was trying too hard to have that "look and feel" that so many remakes have. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We'll have to see what NBC wants to do. Might be salvageable given a little development time or story/character refinement, but also seems like a waste of Eddie Izzard.

/I had high hopes.

boltthrow

Tim Burton had at least two terrific movies:  Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands.

bitter

Yeah, but that was 20+ years ago and he still just rehashes all the same old stuff.

The Bandit

Quote from: boltthrow on October 28, 2012, 11:32:14 PM
Tim Burton had at least two terrific movies:  Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands.

My son loves Alice In Wonderland & Planet of the Apes, but then again he is retarded.

boltthrow

Alice was okay.  Planet was an abomination.

The Bandit

I can tolerate Alice in Wonderland, but Planet of the Apes is indeed shit.