Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Started by CanookieWookie, November 11, 2012, 06:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

Although I have only heard this song, it certainly takes me back to the good ole 70's featuring Young & Crazy Horse.  I'm a fan of long drawn out songs, in particular ones that are mainly guitar driven.  So far I like what I have heard.  

I fixed your link...M&B

GodShifter

I picked it up a few days ago, but haven't had the strength to listen to it. I think it's going to take some endurance to get through it, but I'm curious, so maybe I'll do it today.

Chovie D

Ive only heard "ramada inn" so far, and that was a live youtube clip. sounde like a good song tho. vinyl is on order...

GodShifter

I'm making my way through this today. So far, no surprises, but it's solid. As of yet, I like the title track the best of any of the songs I've heard so far. I think I like the concise rock songs better than the extended 'jam' things. I mean, no offense to Neil Young & Crazy Horse, but there's only so far that band can take that kind of thing.

EGO the Living Planet

I started a thread in Gen disc about it but I'm totally in love with this. There's some stiff competition but this might be album of the year for me.  I like both the concise songs and the longer more jam type things (although really those songs aren't all that jammy so much as they just have a lot of parts) and I like how they work together.  "Walk Like A Giant" is fuckin' EPIC and HEAVY, especially if you crank the hell out of the volume. It's a long double LP, but it doesn't feel like it to me. Even the long songs don't feel as long as they are. I think it's his best album in 15 - 20 years.
Merchandise keeps us in line
Common sense says it's by design
What could a businessman ever want more
than to have us sucking in his store

Andrew Blakk

One thing that hits me when listening to Drifting back (which is hilariously awesome!!!) is that the guitar playing (especially some parts of the solos) some times is so bad but says so much at the same time. It's just so great.

(so - is the key word this day)

I seriously haven't listen to Young + the horse in ages which makes this record even more interesting for me at least.

Going through it right now!

MichaelZodiac

Didn't know about this record until EGO started that thread in GenDisc and than this thread. I could have done without Born in Ontario but I don't know if that's due to the song or the fact that it's coming right after Ramada Inn, the rest is prime guitar music. I dig the longer jams more than the shorter songs and the titletrack feels a little underdeveloped.

Carry on (blatant CSNY reference)
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Sprague Dawley

Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on November 16, 2012, 11:14:41 PM

I started a thread in Gen disc about it but I'm totally in love with this. There's some stiff competition but this might be album of the year for me.  I like both the concise songs and the longer more jam type things (although really those songs aren't all that jammy so much as they just have a lot of parts) and I like how they work together.  "Walk Like A Giant" is fuckin' EPIC and HEAVY, especially if you crank the hell out of the volume. It's a long double LP, but it doesn't feel like it to me. Even the long songs don't feel as long as they are. I think it's his best album in 15 - 20 years.
Agree exactly with everything this guy says.

I think of this as one of the greatest burnout records ever made.