We may be adding a second bass player

Started by bbottom, November 19, 2012, 03:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

After a whole lot of searching my band One Ton Buzzard has found a guitar player. Dude come from more of a death metal background but can pull off the big heavy fuzzed out riff stuff flawlessly.

That being said, my buddy, who is also a bass player, is big into the same type of music and he can play his ass off. So we're thinking about adding a second bass player to the mix.

I think that it will be interesting and it will no doubt bring the heavy. I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to have a second bass player in your band and how you approached it.

Jake

I saw Same Sack w/ Melvins and Unsane this past April and they were two bass players + drummer (which is/was King Coffey from the Butthole Surfers).

The parts that worked the best with that dynamic were the much slower and simpler grooves. When it sped up and got more busy, it was pretty muddy.

poop.

VOLVO)))

One of the bassists is guitar2. Play chords.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I've always wanted to play my Fender VI in a band that already has a bassist and guitarist...preferably a post-rock sort of band since it has an amazing clean sound and can cover most of the range of a standard tuned bass and guitar.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

everdrone

interesting, but google "phasing" and consider it musically; there is not that much musicality below 80hz and the bass notes start cancelling out...

fallen

There is a lot of melodic stuff that bass can do on the higher notes, would be cool to hear all that harmonized between two basses. If you have a guitar to hold down the low end during those parts or even play another higher harmony.

Think orchestra. They get the double bass, chelo, low brass etc all playing harmony off each other and it works.

Probably right about the cancellations if you just play the same notes.

everdrone

Quote from: Jake on November 19, 2012, 04:34:45 PM
I saw Same Sack w/ Melvins and Unsane this past April and they were two bass players + drummer (which is/was King Coffey from the Butthole Surfers).

The parts that worked the best with that dynamic were the much slower and simpler grooves. When it sped up and got more busy, it was pretty muddy.

that pic above is the mowhawk, I saw melvins play there in Austin about a year ago with two drummers and 1 bassist :)

da_qtip

everdrone

I am a bassist. I get annoyed that bass is buried in recordings and at shows; I do not see how adding another bassist would lessen this annoyance...might backfire and create unwanted tension in the band...

mortlock

Quote from: everdrone on November 19, 2012, 11:05:44 PM
I am a bassist. I get annoyed that bass is buried in recordings and at shows; I do not see how adding another bassist would lessen this annoyance...might backfire and create unwanted tension in the band...
that depends on if youre competing or jammin..

Andrew Blakk

It sounds kind of interesting acctually. Post something after you guys jammed. With a bit of tweakening and experimenting I asume.

Don't think it would work in my band but still!

khoomeizhi

i'm a bass player, and i've wanted to do a band like this for a while. one bass plays 'bass', one does 'bass leads', occasional 'dual bass leads', occasional huge crushing monolith doubling. one day.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

everdrone

Quote from: mortlock on November 20, 2012, 12:06:19 AM
Quote from: everdrone on November 19, 2012, 11:05:44 PM
that depends on if youre competing or jammin..

yes!  we would be competing...

for the same frequencies that is ;) 

EddieMullet

There was a band called Ned's Atomic Dustbin that did the 2 bass thing pretty well too.

I think the key might be having 2 different basses, with totally different rigs so you can actually tell which one is which. 

giantchris

I just saw a band do the 2 bass thing named Ken Mode band was ok but the 2 bass song was pretty badass.

Don't forget Shrum featuring the late Audre Pitre from Acid Bath.

bbottom

Quote from: giantchris on November 24, 2012, 12:27:04 PM

If it weren't for the awful vocals on that song that would be pretty badass.

I'm kind of surprised no one has posted this yet

mutantcolors

Dude from Giant Squid is also in a 2 bass 2 drummer band called Hell Ship that kinda totally shreds.

Chovie D

the best 2 bass band ever was Cop Shoot Cop. On one album they list Nantz as "low end bass" and Todd as "high end bass".
Thats one of the bands I miss most...and their members  post CSC output doesnt satisfy.

despite having two bass players the band was never overly bass heavy...

Lumpy

That Hell Ship clip is pretty nice, but 95% of the time they were playing in unison (nothing wrong with that, just saying). I liked it.

I don't like mud (indistinguishable sound) and the 2 bass thing seems like it has mud potential.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

the potential definitely exists, but i think it can be avoided with a little attention. one day.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

VOLVO)))

This is my favorite two-bass band. They fuck shit up, for real.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

We decided that we're going the three piece route (guitar, bass, drums)

However I think that having two bass players and a drummer would be a lot of fun.