Main Menu

Cab suggestions

Started by bbottom, November 25, 2012, 05:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Need some cab suggestions

Within the next few months I'm picking up an Orange ad200.

I've been going back and forth about which cab(s) I should pair the thing up with. As much as I would like one,  8x10 cab is out of the question because I wouldn't be able to get the thing in my car (2011 Ford Fiesta)

So a few cabs that I've been thinking about are the Ampeg 6x10 cab and the Orange 4x10 and possibly 1x15.

What are your thoughts on these cabs and do you have any suggestions for different cabs?

Jake

I second the Ampeg 6x10. I had one of those and it was the best sounding, most versatile bass cabinet I've owned (out of two 8x10s, a 2x15, and two bass 4x12s). It's not light, but a very efficient size for schlepping around.
poop.

Mr. Foxen

What sort of budget? Both Orange and Ampeg cabs are pretty crude and overpriced for what they do, but have the style thing if that is your bag, and come up second hand a lot (which should kind of tell you something). For really loud and moveable, Barefaced cabs can't be beaten, really loud and light and broad range, the 2x15 with the 160w from the Orange is going to be all the loud you ever need and the cab is 22kg, expensive once they make their way to the US though. Even the 1x15 will get shockingly loud with not much power, if you want power tube drive, that might be the way to go, I've gigged the 2x15 with a 150w Sound City, and people were backing up when I hit it with enough boost to get the power valves grunting.

Mixing the 1x15 and 4x10 isn't a great way to go, massively imbalanced, pair of the 1x15s is much more practical prospect, really, a pair of whichever you like the sound of best, if one isn't loud enough, one 15 probably won't be as they don't have awesome drivers like the Barefaced, one 4x10 might be.

Lumpy

If you have some money to spend, a lot of people seem to like the Bergantino 6x10 and compare it favorably with other 8x10s. It's lighter, smaller and louder than an Ampeg 8x10 (and probably more uncolored - that is either a pro or con, depending on your viewpoint). You can get them used for roughly 700-900. Any of the big Bergantino cabs could be good (2x15, 4x12, 4x10/1x15, etc). Look on TalkBass dot com, and your local Craigs List.

I've always wanted to try one, but couldn't find a used one when I needed it, and a used Ampeg was available. I do have a Bergantino 1x12 which I like, but isn't getting used very much.

Check your car's backseat measurement, a lot of guys say they can fit an Ampeg 8x10 across their back seat!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

everdrone

not sure what your space requirements are, the ford fiesta is really small; ya if you and a bandmate can easily hall 100+ pounds and it fits the orange 810 is what I would get!!  it only weighs 130 pounds, good luck getting that up on stage without a bandmate :) http://www.orangeamps.com/products/bass-guitar-speaker-enclosures/obc-series/obc810-8x10-bass-cabinet/

I have a toyota corrolla 1999, I just got two 410 cabs of the gallien kreuger ultralights.  they weigh only 40 pounds each!! I do not want to ever hurt my back.  one fits in the trunk and the back seat. I also have a rocknroller cart.  If you are considering different speaker/cabs such as 10" mixed with 15", google "phasing"; yes there is phasing with any speakers even if identical, but it is way more unpredictable with different size cabs/speakers.

Instant Dan

You can pick up those Mesa Boogie bass cabs on the cheap. I think a Powerhouse 1000 would fit. It's a 4x10 with a 15 incher in the middle.

bbottom

I've thought about the Bergantino 6x10 but I've never played one and the one's that I've seen for sale are at least a grand. If I'm dropping that kind of dough I would really like to be able to try it out first.

I've gone back and forth about the 2x15 thing, especially the Mesa, but right now I prefer 10's to 15's. Which is a big reason why the Ampeg 6x10 really appeals to me (that and a dude the next town over is selling one for about 4 bills).

Barnhard

Go for 2 4x10 cabs or 2 2x12 cabs. I personally love PJB Cabs but they aren't for everyone.

Lumpy

The Ampeg 6x10 is ported, a lot of people say that you want a sealed cab with a tube amp. Who knows, people have all kinds of rules about audio which get broken regularly in the real world, and nobody dies.

In my experience, when you're buying gear you either have to spend a bunch of money, or spend a bunch of time (looking for a bargain). I usually prefer to spend time, waiting for the right deal to come along.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

everdrone

FOR NEW STUFF gallien kreuger is on the musiciansfriend 15% off list, but not on the GC list.  If you end up wanting new Orange gear, humbuckermusic.com has the best deals, I bought a bat pharaoh from them.

FOR USED STUFF craigslist!  ebay has great deals leading up to christmas since people want the christmas gift/travel money and sell tons of stuff for super cheap; unfortunately cabs weigh a ton, so ebay is not a good deal at all though.  I hate my ampeg 410 b-series ported, because it weighs 80 pounds, and have 3 craigslist buyers for it, I am selling it to one of them for only $200.  it is very very loud, great heavy rock tone too.

zachoff

I've never liked the sound of the Ampeg 610... Just haven't & I'm generally an Ampeg guy.  I'm playing through SVT 210 & 115 right now and I'm digging it.  Easier to move around but it's weird.  My Micro SV sounds better through those cabs than my SVT, but the SVT still crushes through my 810.  I'll also say that my favorite 410, ever, was the original SWR Goliath.  Mesa is coming out w/ some sealed cabs too if your pockets are fat.  I've yet to play through them.

zachoff

Just saw the 610 is $400.  Get it for that price & see if you like it.  It might work well with the Orange head & if it doesn't you can easily re-sell for at least $400.

bbottom

I can actually get it for $350.

However I'm kind of on the fence now about saving up for a Berg or maybe looking into some mesa cabs.

Mesa has a 6x10 that looks pretty nice.

everdrone

check your dimensions, you might not be able to see through your rearview mirror; I have my 410 cabs both in the back seat of my corrolla and can see fine through my rear view.  So I am avoiding any car accidents that way. I do not know what the law is for not being able to see through your rear view because of obstructing car load tho.