Wo Fat, From Beyond, Project Armageddon - Houston 01/05/13 *FOTOS*

Started by Instant Dan, January 06, 2013, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

I've noticed Fitzgerald's has become the venue for all things related to this genre. A few years back it would have been Warehouse Live for some established acts followed by White Rabbit, Walter's, and Rudyard's but they (Fitzgerald's have carved out a niche for themselves here.

It was a free show and on the weekend so like the Pallbearer show there was no excuse for not going.

Project Armageddon was on first. From Conroe, they're are definitely based on a more classic Doom sound (Candlemass, Sabbath, Trouble, etc.). I've seen them twice and it seems like they are tighter than they were before, the new songs are definitely rockers. The front-woman was giving it her best to get the crowd going.

From Beyond from Houston was up next. The lead singer/frontman is my age, more or less, and it's nice to see some guys my age on the stage. Their sound is seems more rooted in Vitus, Electric Wizard, Witchcraft. These dudes definitely rock the gear that is associated with that sound (Model T's, Concert Bass). Maybe it was just my imagination but it seemed like a majority of people were there to see them so maybe I just haven't been paying attention enough to the local scene. They're solid musicians and there newer stuff shows them growing from their early material.

Finally Wo Fat from Dallas showed up and while both bands were awesome, Wo Fat just blew them off-stage with their performance. One of the things I admire about them is that while they are loud, it seems to be controlled in such a way where I don't feel like I just went to see Weedeater or Melvins. Most if not all their songs were off of their latest album. While The Black Code is great, I feel Noche Del Chupacabra is their masterpiece in some ways. I saw many people become fans twenty minutes in with the grooving they had. I am glad to see them really going places these days, especially to play Roadburn and Desertfest later this year.

Anyway, great show before I start my new job. If Wo Fat hits your town, SEE THEM. It'll be the best money, or none

Fotos (property of Pqlana):

Project Armageddon:

From Beyond:

Wo Fat:

black

Nice review!

Hey Instant Dan, you said you're in Houston, right? And there is a club called White Rabbit? I seem to recall seeing Pelican and Opeth at a club by that name in San Antonio a few years back. Is that the same folks? Some sort of Texas franchise or coincidence?

(or maybe i'm just having a fuzzy memory)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.