Best Trower album?

Started by GodShifter, February 06, 2011, 02:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GodShifter

That isn't Bridge Of Sighs?

Tough one for me but I'll go with Victims Of The Fury followed closely by B.L.T. with Jack Bruce and Bill Lordan.

EddieMullet

Twice Removed From Yesterday would be a good one too.

MikeyT

Quote from: EddieMullet on February 06, 2011, 04:18:21 PM
Twice Removed From Yesterday would be a good one too.

Agreed. I like his (first) live LP, too.

^To go beyond that I'd have to go back & do a lot of listening/review.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

MikeyT

Just checked out some of the tracks from FOR EARTH BELOW on yt.

Great stuff, can't believe I missed it!  ???

Woody

Just picked up the new Trower at the BBC double tape. Fucking excellent radio sessions and a concert from 1973-75. Get it.

GodShifter

I picked that up, Woody. Still need the time to check it out.

neighbor664

Though a live/greatest hits, "Live:Robin Trower" gets more time on my turntable than any other.

EddieMullet

I gave Caravan to Midnight and In City Dreams a listen and they're mellower very mid 70's sounding but not nearly as bad as I thought they were.

But it does bring up two questions. Why does James Dewar only sing on those two, why did they bring in bassist Rustee Allen for those 2 albums?  It's not like Dewar was a bad bassist or anything why did they bring an (in my opinion) inferior bass player in?

Any Trower fanatics know the reasons for this?

GodShifter

I think I can answer that (or try).

Rustee Allen was a fairly accomplished funk bass player (had played with Sly Stone, for instance) and it's clear that's where Trower was trying to go with those two albums. But, in fact, if you read the liner notes Dewar does play bass on quite a few tracks on In City Dreams, so it's just Caravan where he does vocal duty only.

And, yeah, it's a matter of opinion, but I never, ever felt Dewar was a really strong bass player. Kind of root guy that played no frills lines. He was functional of course but not great. Even if you listen to him on the live things, he rarely branches out and does anything beyond what's required (read: plays almost exactly what he did on the studio cuts). So, in conclusion, I think that bringing in Allen was an attempt, at least (maybe) in Trower's mind, of upgrading the musicianship of the band and bringing in a guy that was very adept at the style of music Trower was angling for with those albums.

EddieMullet

I didn't know that Rustee Allen played with Sly Stone so the guy MUST have been damn good. So I take back the inferior thing, though I still prefer Dewar's playing it just seemed heavier or thicker or something, that I really can't put my finger on.

jibberish

ok dont laugh but one album has light green overall cover color and one has light orange. one is bridge of sighs and the other one is:_______. that was agood one..but i dont know the name

MikeyT

You mean this one ?

jibberish

^ yes.   a dude in the other dorm had both the BoS and the orange one.  i made that guy play those when i went over there like every time heh

and you know how once you get familiar with an album that's decent, it grows on you

libertycaps

Yep. I'm at it again. Better than some boring random google image, right?
This lesser known lp gets loads of play and is a fave is not thee fave. The 80's corny cover is a red herring. The contents are very much back to basics, classic Trower heavy blues numbers. And they just keep coming. Often wish some of the tracks were more extended.

CanookieWookie