sous vide bags

Started by Chovie D, February 18, 2013, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

did a filet mignon. 35 min at 129 degrees. Machine was quiet and easy to use. seared in a pan afterwards to obtain slight crust (coulda gone longer) . no sauce. right up there in my top 2? steaks ive ever had. cooked perfectly and evenly all the way thru. easy prep and cleanup too.

i said Id let ya know and thats an honest review ...I am, as anyone who knows me knows, a charcoal grillin weber kinda guy...but good is good.

I,Galactus

Now you have to try sous vide filet buckaroos.  I'd be concerned about the pickle/meatflap assembly's structural integrity.  We expect a full report.   ;)
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Chovie D

Quote from: I,Galactus on March 25, 2013, 09:28:30 AM
Now you have to try sous vide filet buckaroos.  I'd be concerned about the pickle/meatflap assembly's structural integrity.  We expect a full report.   ;)

that is a great idea!! the vacuum sealing should help keep the roll shape intact.

RAGER

I did just read aboot a steak method that is a bit unorthodox that i WILL try.  You take a completely frozen solid steak and bake it in the oven at low temp for like an hour to get to temp then sear it in a cast iron pan.  Supposed to be really good.

My favorite method is an Alton Brown method that takes aboot 5 minutes and includes a scorchingly hot dry cast iron skillet, a 500 degree oven and an inverted plate.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on March 25, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
I did just read aboot a steak method that is a bit unorthodox that i WILL try.  You take a completely frozen solid steak and bake it in the oven at low temp for like an hour to get to temp then sear it in a cast iron pan.  Supposed to be really good.

My favorite method is an Alton Brown method that takes aboot 5 minutes and includes a scorchingly hot dry cast iron skillet, a 500 degree oven and an inverted plate.

In the modernist Cuisine Cookbook, they have an elaborate method for cooking a hamburger that involves flash freezing it for some reason.

you know how when you cook a steak...the only portion that is (hopefully) perfectly done is the very center? there is usually a good 1/4 inch of steak on either side that is over cooked. This was done perfectly all the wy thru and thats a bigger improvement in taste and texture than one might imagine.

super easy process too, just bag it and toss it in, no need to ckeep checking it and no need to "rest" it when its done cooking.
Tonight , gonna sous vide a cod maybe..cod or pork chops. the chops are prtty thin tho, I will probably just pan fry em.

Chovie D

finally did the poached eggs. best ive had.

MadJohnShaft

Why only 35 min?  Thought you do these for hours and hours
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Confit is hours.

Chovie, So you use plastic bags every time you cook something?  This bothers my inner hippie.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on April 01, 2013, 10:49:56 AM
Confit is hours.

Chovie, So you use plastic bags every time you cook something?  This bothers my inner hippie.

The eggs you just stick in the warm water bath...( i dont see how this techincally qualifies as sous vide since its not under vacuum). For a trad poached egg, its all about time and its a guessing game as to how long to cook em. When you can control the temperature to a tenth of a degree as you can with the sous vide bath, its all about temperature and you can get exact and consistent results every time. 149 degree egg is different than 151 degree ,see chart below.

Shaft, you cook large tough cuts of meat for days sous vide to make them tender. beef short ribs is 100 hours, havent gone there yet.

I am digging the food saver apart from the sous vide action too. Buy a bag of limes, "food saver" half of em...reseal tater chip bags...got more ham than you can eat in a week? food saver half and freeze.

Heres the egg chart

MadJohnShaft

Liquids?  Put in bag, freeze in freezer, vacuum seal and they won't get sucked up.

It's a fucking miracle thanks to Cooks Illustrated.

RAGER

I just a read a thing on heat shocking fruits and veggies to help their lifespan in the fridge.  Seems a sous vide bath would work well.  Specific temps for specific foods.  Look into it.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I'd like to vacuum seal a hot naked chick with big tits.

RAGER

That would not be Weird Science, it would be Modernist Science!
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on April 05, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
I'd like to vacuum seal a hot naked chick with big tits.

here ya go...

MadJohnShaft

How did you make that?

RAGER

142 degrees for 15 hours
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

made pork loin this weekend. unreal, best ever. 3 hours at 135 degrees.

MadJohnShaft

Did you brown it in a hot pan at the end or no need?

RAGER

I would definitely have to brown it at some point in time or it would seem too British.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Does it pour out of the bag easily, at the end? ???
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

yeah you gotta sear the meat at the end, get a crust on it. Ive been using a hot pan on the stovetop but just bought a torch for searing future cuts.

the loin was super juicy and tasty and perfectly done all the way thru...wow it was good. had it with some chanterelles

RAGER

Where'd you get the chanterelles this time of year?  Were they frozen or dried?
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

i've been finding chanterelles here recently. but we're having a wetass year. found a couple pounds a couple weeks ago. awesome.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Lumpy

Quote from: Lumpy on August 19, 2013, 03:42:19 PM
Does it pour out of the bag easily, at the end? ???

Nobody liked my joke.  :-\
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Quote from: khoomeizhi on August 19, 2013, 08:33:36 PM
i've been finding chanterelles here recently. but we're having a wetass year. found a couple pounds a couple weeks ago. awesome.

What??!!  man it seems they make their first appearance here after the first frost.
No Focus Pocus