Main Menu

Westerns

Started by diasdegalvan, March 06, 2013, 03:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

What are your favorites? I recently read Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen it's about the legend and murder of Edgar A. Watson takes place in the mostly lawless area of the Everglades at the turn of the century. The Dark Tower books especially the 4th give off a western feel.

Still have to read Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy along with No Country for Old Men and Blood Meridian which are sitting in my bookshelf.

frobbert

Haven't read all that many westerns besides Cormac McCarthy and some of Joe R. Lansdale's stuff. I liked Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers.
bite me

themusketking

I know it's probably "cliche" and the deep community will just roll their eyes, but I've read upwards of 50 Louis L'Amour books, and, I kinda love that guy.  Predictable? Yup. Fantastic? oh, fuck yes! Cormac McCarthy..love that guy.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

I,Galactus

Quote from: themusketking on March 06, 2013, 10:38:55 PM
I know it's probably "cliche" and the deep community will just roll their eyes, but I've read upwards of 50 Louis L'Amour books, and, I kinda love that guy.  Predictable? Yup. Fantastic? oh, fuck yes! Cormac McCarthy..love that guy.

Same here but with Zane Grey and Karl May.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

chille01

I've been hooked on the Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry for the last few months.  Started with Lonesome Dove of course, and then went back to the earlier (chronologically) books.  Finished Dead Man's Walk last week, and just picked up Comanche Moon today.  I figure I'll just binge and do the whole series of 4 books.  Lonesome Dove was the first, and is probably the best one (especially if you're looking for some deeper meaning with your gun fights), but they are all so far highly entertaining and worth reading.   

I wanna grow up to be Gus McCrae.

Danny G

Blood Meridian is all kinds a fucked up, based on true events, with Biblical prose.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com