Side Effects

Started by boltthrow, March 22, 2013, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltthrow

An odd little film from Soderbergh that unfortunately gets less compelling as it goes on.  Nicely put together but it goes from what appears to be an issue movie into a modern day crime drama/noir.  Good as far as it goes but ultimately less than the sum of its parts.  Jude Law is good.  Rooney Mara is good (and momentarily naked).  Catherine Zeta-Jones is arch and seems like she parachuted in from another movie.  I guess I had high expectations and was disappointed.

A surprisingly good recent Soderbergh movie is Haywire, the Gina Carano MMA thing that is better than it looked.  But I had low expectations going in so there's that...   

The Bandit

When I heard Carano was not showing skin, my interest dropped on that one.

Lumpy

I didn't know Haywire was directed by Soderbergh -- now I want to see it. She seems pretty awesome.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

boltthrow

That's what I've always liked about Soderbergh.  He makes movies he likes, he makes 'em fast and he's onto the next one.  I still think his best films are The Underneath, The Limey, Out Of Sight, King Of The Hill and Contagion.  

The Shocker

Limey & Out Of Sight for me.

MichaelZodiac

Haywire was good. His work pace is impressive if you compare it to other directors. Out of Sight gets my vote as 1 of his best too though I feel he only fully realized his style with Traffic --which actually wasn't that good of a film.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan